Doh! Romney does it again

I interpreted it as Romney saying that if the Latinos sway to the Democratic Party like the African American community has, the Democrats will have the numbers, which would be bad for the Republican Party. I didn't interpret it as him saying that African Americans and Latinos controlling the Democratic Party would be bad for the country.

Then why would he add 'as a nation' at the end? Isn't your interpretation covered when he says 'we are in trouble as a party'?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't what he said.

He said 47% are not making enough salary and not paying into the government tax.

Almost half this country pays into the government tax and almost half does not. Do the math. If you have half or less then half of the people working and supporting the ones that can't find a job, or don't want to find a job, (and they are out there) these United States are not going to be.

Obama is increasing unemployment, medicare, and fewer jobs are being created. We have more people on welfare today than 3 years ago. Fifteen million to be exact. Who do you think is paying for that?

We have more people on welfare because there are less jobs and those people depend on welfare to take care of their families because they are no longer employed. Correct? Aren't those once hard-working honest people who have to collect welfare because Obama isn't creating jobs part of the 47% that Romney doesn't care about? Or is that a different 47% on welfare?

Because in his opinion the nation would be in trouble with the Democratic party in charge...

So why not just say that? Why leave so much open for interpretation? To make a statement like this at a 50K a plate fundraiser is the same as Biden saying Romney will keep you in chains to a predominately black audience in Virginia. Romney has to know better than to make open ended blanket statements if he plans to win. Just because you and I understand what he is saying doesn't mean that 47% of the people will.

That isn't what he said.

He said 47% are not making enough salary and not paying into the government tax.

Almost half this country pays into the government tax and almost half does not. Do the math. If you have half or less then half of the people working and supporting the ones that can't find a job, or don't want to find a job, (and they are out there) these United States are not going to be.

Obama is increasing unemployment, medicare, and fewer jobs are being created. We have more people on welfare today than 3 years ago. Fifteen million to be exact. Who do you think is paying for that?

I don't want the Government to take care of me. I can't imagine anyone that would. Yet, there are people and the number is growing that want to be taken care of instead of building on their own.

That's exactly what he said.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that THEY ARE VICTIMS who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it..."

And come on... not paying government tax? They're paying taxes, some just aren't making enough to pay the income tax. How's that make them self proclaimed victims? I'm sure there's people that look to the government for dependence. But is it anywhere close to 47%? No way.

So why not just say that? Why leave so much open for interpretation? To make a statement like this at a 50K a plate fundraiser is the same as Biden saying Romney will keep you in chains to a predominately black audience in Virginia. Romney has to know better than to make open ended blanket statements if he plans to win. Just because you and I understand what he is saying doesn't mean that 47% of the people will.

Because he's an idiot. That's why.

Because he's an idiot. That's why.

I'm an Obama guy but I do truly wish both parties had guys the entire nation could get behind and proud to have one of them leading our country. I'd love to have an election where even if your guy lost you still felt like we win as a country for having him. It's a 'lesser of two evils' climate now. We need to get to the 'everybody wins regardless of who loses' climate. Has there ever been an election where both candidates were awesome?

I'm an Obama guy but I do truly wish both parties had guys the entire nation could get behind and proud to have one of them leading our country. I'd love to have an election where even if your guy lost you still felt like we win as a country for having him. It's a 'lesser of two evils' climate now. We need to get to the 'everybody wins regardless of who loses' climate. Has there ever been an election where both candidates were awesome?

It really is. Because that's the type of people the majority of the country are drawn to. They're drawn to the polarizing, hoo-rah-rah, "I hate the other guy and he's stupid" nonsense, so this is what we get. Unless a candidate throws out inflammatory nonsense, we're not interested...

When the minority leader of the Senate says from Day 1, his goal is to make sure the president is a one-term president, there's problems...

When the majority leader of the Senate says that a guy's dead father would be disappointed in him, there's problems...

That's exactly what he said.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that THEY ARE VICTIMS who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it..."

And come on... not paying government tax? They're paying taxes, some just aren't making enough to pay the income tax. How's that make them self proclaimed victims? I'm sure there's people that look to the government for dependence. But is it anywhere close to 47%? No way.

Well, we agree on one thing, 47% of the country is dependent on the Government.

Hello, That means the other 53% are paying for it.

I want to depend on myself. I want to buy my own way and I want my kids to build their own future however big that may be. I don't want my kids to go to college to strive to be middle class. I send them to college to be the best they can be and maybe "president" someday.

And the reason there are not jobs for "victims" to pay income tax is because Obama has done nothing to create those jobs. He wants everyone in HIS so called middle class so you are depending on the government.

I want to depend on myself. I want to buy my own way and I want my kids to build their own future however big that may be. I don't want my kids to go to college to strive to be middle class. I send them to college to be the best they can be and maybe "president" someday.

And the reason there are not jobs for "victims" to pay income tax is because Obama has done nothing to create those jobs. He wants everyone in HIS so called middle class so you are depending on the government.

The main problem is how he said things. Talking about how 47% feel like they are the victims and saying how they need to take personal responsibility and better themselves. That is the problem with what he said. Yes no doubt there are people who are being lazy and just taking advantage of things. However there are probably even more people who would work if they could, there are more people who just can't find jobs and just need the money to survive. I know I am a college graduate, and also have a masters. Within this past year I ended up having to be on unemployment for a few months because I was not able to find a job. It is not like I was trying to be lazy and just taking advantage. I have done everything I can to better myself with a great education to help secure a career, but with how things are it is very hard to do. I see more and more people these days that graduate from college but can't find jobs. Some of these people might also need some help to get by until they find a job too.

So I understand the point he was trying to get across. That yes there is a certain group that will vote for Obama no matter what, which is true. However how he went about saying it, and how he said it does matter. It groups everyone into one and acting like everyone of the 47% is not taking personal responsibility and just being lazy and taking advantage of the government. All he would have had to say was there are 47% of people in the country dependent on the government who will vote for Obama. So I need to worry about the other group of peoples votes. That's all it would take to have gotten his point across, however his comment showed basically what he thinks of all the 47% who do need the government right now, and that is he doesn't think much of them at all. That is what the problem was with his comments.

I don't think Obama wants people having to depend on the government.

Yeah, I want to depend on myself too. That's why I'm paying $40,000 a year for my education. Do I pay income taxes? No. Do I lack personal responsibility? Hell no.

Do the husband and wife who worked for fifty years and raised their children who are on Social Security and don't pay income taxes lack personal responsibility?

Fine, we can make it black and white and say that 53% of the country pays for the other 47% to live (which is a gross over-simplification). Even if I give you that, are you saying that that 47% lacks personal responsibility and expects the government to take care of them?

The main problem is how he said things. Talking about how 47% feel like they are the victims and saying how they need to take personal responsibility and better themselves. That is the problem with what he said. Yes no doubt there are people who are being lazy and just taking advantage of things. However there are probably even more people who would work if they could, there are more people who just can't find jobs and just need the money to survive. I know I am a college graduate, and also have a masters. Within this past year I ended up having to be on unemployment for a few months because I was not able to find a job. It is not like I was trying to be lazy and just taking advantage. I have done everything I can to better myself with a great education to help secure a career, but with how things are it is very hard to do. I see more and more people these days that graduate from college but can't find jobs. Some of these people might also need some help to get by until they find a job too.

So I understand the point he was trying to get across. That yes there is a certain group that will vote for Obama no matter what, which is true. However how he went about saying it, and how he said it does matter. It groups everyone into one and acting like everyone of the 47% is not taking personal responsibility and just being lazy and taking advantage of the government. All he would have had to say was there are 47% of people in the country dependent on the government who will vote for Obama. So I need to worry about the other group of peoples votes. That's all it would take to have gotten his point across, however his comment showed basically what he thinks of all the 47% who do need the government right now, and that is he doesn't think much of them at all. That is what the problem was with his comments.

Exactly. There's more stories like your's than the freeloader laying on his couch eating Cheetos waiting for his Welfare check to come in. And Romney made a gigantic mistake lumping people who have had to deal with a terrible economy in with the guy living off the government.

I don't think Obama wants people having to depend on the government.

Yeah, I want to depend on myself too. That's why I'm paying $40,000 a year for my education. Do I pay income taxes? No. Do I lack personal responsibility? Hell no.

Do the husband and wife who worked for fifty years and raised their children who are on Social Security and don't pay income taxes lack personal responsibility?

Fine, we can make it black and white and say that 53% of the country pays for the other 47% to live (which is a gross over-simplification). Even if I give you that, are you saying that that 47% lacks personal responsibility and expects the government to take care of them?

Exactly. There's more stories like your's than the freeloader laying on his couch eating Cheetos waiting for his Welfare check to come in. And Romney made a gigantic mistake lumping people who have had to deal with a terrible economy in with the guy living off the government.

That was my biggest problem with it, was how he lumped everyone together in that 47% and saying how the 47% needs to take personal responsibility and take care themselves. That is just wrong and plain stupid for him to say. As I said that basically just goes to show what he thinks of people who might be hurting on money. In his mind apparently based on what he said, if people are hurting on money it is their own fault. When there are plenty of people who do everything they can to better themselves to try to find a job but just can't right now. While there are plenty of people who happened to be lucky to be born into wealthy families for why they have money, and not liked they worked to hard to get that money. Basically to him its like if you don't have much money it is your own fault, and I don't know how other people can try to say his comments are not saying that and not a put down on a lot of people. Calling all 47% victims and saying all 47% needs to take personal responsibility is a put down and I don't how people can try to twist the words around to say otherwise.

That was my biggest problem with it, was how he lumped everyone together in that 47% and saying how the 47% needs to take personal responsibility and take care themselves. That is just wrong and plain stupid for him to say. As I said that basically just goes to show what he thinks of people who might be hurting on money. In his mind apparently based on what he said, if people are hurting on money it is their own fault. When there are plenty of people who do everything they can to better themselves to try to find a job but just can't right now. While there are plenty of people who happened to be lucky to be born into wealthy families for why they have money, and not liked they worked to hard to get that money. Basically to him its like if you don't have much money it is your own fault, and I don't know how other people can try to say his comments are not saying that and not a put down on a lot of people. Calling all 47% victims and saying all 47% needs to take personal responsibility is a put down and I don't how people can try to twist the words around to say otherwise.

I agree.

I feel like Romney has the ability to fix the economy, but he doesn't really understand or care about the everyday person. The only reason I think he can fix it is because he's basically succeeded at rectifying everything he's been a part of. However, he hasn't really told us his plans.

I feel like Obama cares about the everyday person, but he just doesn't have the right ideas.

What about this Romney comment that he said at the same place that he made the 47% comment?

Anyone care to take a stab at this one?

What's wrong with it? I happen to agree with him. The Republican party would be dead and this nation would end up in trouble. One party rule is never good for a nation.