September 18, 201214 yr What's amazing to me is that Romney would so foolish to get up in front of people and say this.
September 18, 201214 yr Neither one of these idiots deserves to be my President, but one thing is for sure. One of them will win & not much will change. The U.S. Will remain in debt, people will still need jobs, some will need programs such as welfare and others will be taking advantage due to laziness, the Mid-east will remain unstable...and so on.
September 18, 201214 yr Agreed. Anyone that is offended by what Romney said was never going to vote for Romney anyway. This will have ZERO effect on the election. Romney will have his chance to win this election during the debates and he has to come up with a better message then he currently has. I'm still undecided. I've been BEGGING for someone to tell me what Romney's pla is. But no one has any idea. They give me vague, conceptual philosophy...but nothing even remotely resembling a plan. I've been directed to his website, where the same vagueness is in play. I'm open to something new. I'm NOT open to repealing ACA. Can it be improved, most definitely. The ACA and the economy are my two "hot button" issues this election. President Obama is actually doing well in my opinion, but there's always room for improvement and I'm willing to consider someone who can effect improvement, without tearing apart everything we've gained. What's Gov. Romeny got? Anyone?
September 18, 201214 yr I'm still undecided. I've been BEGGING for someone to tell me what Romney's pla is. But no one has any idea. They give me vague, conceptual philosophy...but nothing even remotely resembling a plan. I've been directed to his website, where the same vagueness is in play. I'm open to something new. I'm NOT open to repealing ACA. Can it be improved, most definitely. The ACA and the economy are my two "hot button" issues this election. President Obama is actually doing well in my opinion, but there's always room for improvement and I'm willing to consider someone who can effect improvement, without tearing apart everything we've gained. What's Gov. Romeny got? Anyone? Like I said he needs to articulate his position much clearer. I hope he does.
September 19, 201214 yr There are a couple of discussions to be had on this subject. 1. Mr Romney lumped every voter that doesn't pay federal income taxes into a group that is looking for handouts. THAT is the main issue to me. He insulted a large number of voters who are NOT sitting back refusing to work. In addition, that 47% includes senior citizens on Social Security. 2. The Tax Policy Center breaks down the 47%. Again, it's not groups that are entirely in lockstep with the D party. Tax Policy Center analysis details the '47 percent' - The Hill's On The Money For example, a working family of four who earns $26k or less is in that figure. Are those people not trying to work? I think it was the Clinton presidency who got many of these types of families OFF of welfare with tax credits for working. I assume we all want these people to work, right? Actually , households that make less then $50k make up 90% of the "no fed tax paid" group. That's a lot of working families that Mr Romney offended unfairly. And let's remember that all of these "no federal tax" working people are paying payroll taxes. So can we at least agree that the perception does not match reality? Can we also assume that Mr Romney is smart enough to know that?
September 19, 201214 yr I'm still undecided. I've been BEGGING for someone to tell me what Romney's pla is. But no one has any idea. They give me vague, conceptual philosophy...but nothing even remotely resembling a plan. I've been directed to his website, where the same vagueness is in play. I'm open to something new. I'm NOT open to repealing ACA. Can it be improved, most definitely. The ACA and the economy are my two "hot button" issues this election. President Obama is actually doing well in my opinion, but there's always room for improvement and I'm willing to consider someone who can effect improvement, without tearing apart everything we've gained. What's Gov. Romeny got? Anyone? It has not been released yet. No one can get the Governor or Rep Ryan to let us know which tax deductions they will eliminate to offset the lower taxes. Some have determined that taxes on $100k and up are going to have to be raised significantly to pay the tax rate decrease.
September 19, 201214 yr The people that decide the election won't remember this when they vote. Only people that follow politics will remember this. Non issue.
September 19, 201214 yr The people that decide the election won't remember this when they vote. Only people that follow politics will remember this. Non issue. I disagree. I think that some who actually do not do much investigating or much reading on policies take sound bites and form an opinion. This MAY sway some of those who couldn't tell you which side has what policy.
September 19, 201214 yr Agreed. Anyone that is offended by what Romney said was never going to vote for Romney anyway. This will have ZERO effect on the election. Romney will have his chance to win this election during the debates and he has to come up with a better message then he currently has. That's just wrong. I've been planning on voting for Romney, and I still do, however this comment was incredibly offensive. It wasn't just offensive, it was wrong. I'm in school still. I'm not paying income taxes. Am I a freeloader? Do I consider myself a victim begging for a handout? No. I don't understand how Romney calling 47% of this country free-loaders is not offensive to everyone? Is everyone blinded by their partisan nonsense that they can't tell when someone on their side makes an arrogant, wrong, and demeaning statement? How is this better than when Obama said that people in red states were clinging to their bible and guns? The politics in this country are unreal. Just because a person has the same party affiliation as you doesn't mean they're not a jerk; and just because they don't, doesn't mean they're an idiot. Our country has come to a point where the first judgement of a person is whether they have a D or R next to their name... And it's disgusting.
September 19, 201214 yr What about this Romney comment that he said at the same place that he made the 47% comment? If the Hispanic voting block becomes as committed to the Democrats as the African American voting block has in the past, why, we're in trouble as a party and I think as a nation. Anyone care to take a stab at this one?
September 19, 201214 yr I honestly don't think Romney was doing anything but figuring out his voting base. Come on people, he only stated facts. Get over it. It's part of what you do when you are trying to become president. Anyone out there that doesn't think Obama has not had this same conversation, if not more indepth, is just absolutely cluless.
September 19, 201214 yr I honestly don't think Romney was doing anything but figuring out his voting base. Come on people, he only stated facts. Get over it. It's part of what you do when you are trying to become president. Anyone out there that doesn't think Obama has not had this same conversation, if not more indepth, is just absolutely cluless. So you find nothing wrong with the fact that he accused 47% of the country of not taking personal responsibility?
September 19, 201214 yr I honestly don't think Romney was doing anything but figuring out his voting base. Come on people, he only stated facts. Get over it. It's part of what you do when you are trying to become president. Anyone out there that doesn't think Obama has not had this same conversation, if not more indepth, is just absolutely cluless. You find nothing wrong with him saying that the nation is in trouble if the blacks and Latinos vote democrat? If Obama was seen and heard on video saying the nation is in trouble if the white man controls the republican party you and mountainref would lose your minds. The difference between Obama and Romney so far seems to be that Obama has been smart enough to keep his most offensive comments from being plastered on YouTube and becoming fodder for the media.
September 19, 201214 yr You find nothing wrong with him saying that the nation is in trouble if the blacks and Latinos vote democrat? If Obama was seen and heard on video saying the nation is in trouble if the white man controls the republican party you and mountainref would lose your minds. The difference between Obama and Romney so far seems to be that Obama has been smart enough to keep his most offensive comments from being plastered on YouTube and becoming fodder for the media. I interpreted it as Romney saying that if the Latinos sway to the Democratic Party like the African American community has, the Democrats will have the numbers, which would be bad for the Republican Party. I didn't interpret it as him saying that African Americans and Latinos controlling the Democratic Party would be bad for the country.
September 19, 201214 yr So you find nothing wrong with the fact that he accused 47% of the country of not taking personal responsibility? That isn't what he said. He said 47% are not making enough salary and not paying into the government tax. Almost half this country pays into the government tax and almost half does not. Do the math. If you have half or less then half of the people working and supporting the ones that can't find a job, or don't want to find a job, (and they are out there) these United States are not going to be. Obama is increasing unemployment, medicare, and fewer jobs are being created. We have more people on welfare today than 3 years ago. Fifteen million to be exact. Who do you think is paying for that? I don't want the Government to take care of me. I can't imagine anyone that would. Yet, there are people and the number is growing that want to be taken care of instead of building on their own.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.