Obama says YES to same sex marriage

Yeah, might be a god thing there watch...ROLL TIDE ROLL roll tide roll, means the same nothin g really lost on it. Sometimes I miss it, but the word gay is used in the song "My Old Kentucky Home" and I'd type it like it is, Talking about a group of folks might use the "Gay"way. I don't think its a big deal.

And what about "Mad?"

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really irks me about this whole subject is that people automatically assume that people that don't support Gay Marriage are homophobic or Gay hating bigots. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Agreed on the generalization. Part of it comes from some of the posts people make on here.

I think you raise a fair and interesting question as to the "why" aspect.

I wonder how many of them would say it wasn't for religious reasons but rather for , say, economic reasons ie benefits. I'm not sure what other reasons would be cited.

What really irks me about this whole subject is that people automatically assume that people that don't support Gay Marriage are homophobic or Gay hating bigots. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

They're supporting denying a group of people equal rights based solely on the idea that they're different than you or I....To me that's discrimination and bigotry. :idunno:

They're supporting denying a group of people equal rights based solely on the idea that they're different than you or I....To me that's discrimination and bigotry. :idunno:

That's not the question asked by RE. He asked the "why" part. Maybe some base it on legal interpretations. If so, would that make on a bigot or would it make them one who believes in the letter of the law? Seems different to me.

I'm sure some are being bigoted and have discriminating views, but for many, I believe it goes much deeper than that and has alot to do with beliefs that were instilled in them from a very young age. In 50 years, this (Gay Marriage) will be a very common thing in the U.S. When I was a kid, you had a Scarlet Letter attached to you if you publicly deemed yourself Gay. Things have changed greatly in 40 years and will continue to do the same over the next 40-50. Beliefs are tied to generations and every generation changes their thinking vastly.

Do you also feel that any couple (either man/woman or man/man, etc.) that is wed in a non-religious ceremony (justice of the peace, etc.) should not be classified as "married", but also in a civil union?

Not necessarily. I think that if their church validates their marriage, then that would be fine. I wouldn't care if someone with no church affiliation obtains their civil union by a Justice of the Peace and then considers themselves married. I just don't think that marriage should be legislated or legally defined.

What is "sacred" about 50%+ divorce rate? People's views are changing as well.

BTW, We ALL are waiting for the reply to UKMF quetion a few pages back.:cool::confused:

32 states have put this on the ballot in some form. 32 states have voted against allowing gay marriage. That tells me people's views aren't changing.

32 states have put this on the ballot in some form. 32 states have voted against allowing gay marriage. That tells me people's views aren't changing.

The fact that it is on a ballot is one sign that views are changing. This is like the wet/dry votes in counties that are dry. The Bible thumpers won't win forever. Right now they are winning.

The majority of those people that are against this are the baby boomer generation.

The younger generation (my generation) mostly supports this. So once the baby boomers start to die out, it's going to be passed.

The majority of those people that are against this are the baby boomer generation.

The younger generation (my generation) mostly supports this. So once the baby boomers start to die out, it's going to be passed.

I think change will begin to come once my generation hits 40-45 years of age which isn't too much further away. The cultural and social differences are evident in conversations with the baby boomers and my generation. What is my/our generation called anyways? Generation X?

I think change will begin to come once my generation hits 40-45 years of age which isn't too much further away. The cultural and social differences are evident in conversations with the baby boomers and my generation. What is my/our generation called anyways? Generation X?

Just wait til the Millinieums take over.