Obama says YES to same sex marriage

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't about "legitimacy," it is about equality. I don't want the Catholic church to be ok w/ it. I don't personally agree with it. However, you can't take away a fundamental right b/c you don't agree w/ a person's sexual preference.

:thumb: It's called discrimination. To me those who are opposed to this are the same as those that were opposed to allowing blacks equality.

All Tell, you do bring up a good point. I, too, think that the important word is "adult" and not "two."

I'm not sure that I'd be opposed to plural marriage (for others, not me!) if marriage becomes a purely religious institution and for government purposes we moved to granting civil unions.

Exactly my thought. I still think the solution is to let religious organizations recognize what kind of marriage they want to do and the goverment stay out of it entirely. No marriage licenses or anything. Would make the whole thing much easier in my mind.

It baffles me though of the people who rail against the government getting involved in their lives, and yet they have no issue with the idea of the government saying who you can or cannot marry. To further that point I struggle to see how they are okay with the government requiring you to have a license to marry.

It is for that inconsistency in individual liberty that brought me to the libertarians.

Exactly my thought. I still think the solution is to let religious organizations recognize what kind of marriage they want to do and the goverment stay out of it entirely. No marriage licenses or anything. Would make the whole thing much easier in my mind.

It baffles me though of the people who rail against the government getting involved in their lives, and yet they have no issue with the idea of the government saying who you can or cannot marry. To further that point I struggle to see how they are okay with the government requiring you to have a license to marry.

It is for that inconsistency in individual liberty that brought me to the libertarians.

This.

It doesn't baffle me, though. Let the government interfere with individual liberties all it wants. Just as long as its those liberties that I oppose.

That's the impression I get.