Reds Offseason Thread

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still one that thinks the Reds are not to far off in making the playoffs. When you see teams like the Twins, A's, Nationals, Rays, getting in that gives us a chance in my opinion. However some major glaring weaknesses jump out at me.

1. Lost 25-30 games by 1 run this season. You can throw in not bunting, running bases correctly, moving guys over, and our third base coach to most of these.

2. Iglesias is not a closer and appears he doesn't want to be a Red in my opinion, and I truly think he does not like Bell after the benching that happened early in the season. (2-13) on the season :(

3. We have to bat better for average as a team. I am a firm believer that we would be in the playoffs if we were an above average offense.

Look at these stats that I saw this week and you will see what I mean. We rank 13 out of 15 in WAR as a team

Catcher 9th (tie)

1B 12th

2B 13th

3B 4th

SS 13th

LF and CF 13th

RF 11th

We are not winning with one/two guys on your team batting above 270. The Reds have some big decisions to make in the off season, lets hope they make wise ones.

While there may not be any huge voids that need to be filled, I believe there are many smaller questions that all will need to be addressed over the winter.

Starting Pitching - The top 4 are pretty much set. I move Sonny Gray, though, up to my #1 spot. It's not that his stuff is better than Castillo's...but, I like his approach a lot better. He's a guy that can lead by example, so I want him up front. Hopefully Bauer can return to the form he had as an Indian, and Disco can pick up where he left off this year. The #5 spot, you would think that Mahle has an inside track on, if they don't bring back Alex Wood (I'd be surprised if they did). But, Sal Romano, Lucas Sims and Kevin Gausman could be possibilities as well. Or do they package a couple of these guys together and bring in someone new? I think they'll stand pat. Mahle, Romano and Sims are all just 25. Even Wood and Gausman are only 28.

Bullpen - The decision on Iglesias needs to be made somewhat quickly. Is he your man or not? Seems like he checked out mentally this year. Need to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with him and find out if he truly wants to be here. If the answer is no...get him out of here. This will dictate what you do with the rest of the pen. I don't know that I'd have a problem with Lorenzen, Garrett, Reed, Stephenson and Bowman being the guys I'd turn to in the 7th, 8th or 9th...if they're not overused. Stop micro-managing each at-bat, and let them get more than one guy out. Supplement them with guys like Romano, Gausman or Kuhnel, and I think you've got a decent group.

First Base - It's going to be Votto (much to the dislike of several on here). They might move him around in the lineup, but there's no doubt in my mind that #19 will be your everyday starter at first. End of discussion.

Second Base - A proverbial log jam here. Part of this question will be answered when they figure out what they're doing at short, but you've got Peraza, Galvis, VanMeter, Dietrich, Farmer and Blandino that all spent time at second this year. I think we can safely say that Farmer and Blandino are not going to be in the mix for the starting spot. Dietrich may have killed his opportunity to be a full time starter with the way he finished this year. Does Peraza get an opportunity to return to his 2018 form if Galvis slides over to short? Or do they platoon Peraza and VanMeter?

Shortstop - Do they try to bring back Iglesias? I think they will and should. Whether or not they get him, is another question. If not, then you'd think that Peraza or Galvis will be the likely contenders, and if it came down to those two, I'd say Galvis will get the nod.

Third Base - Suarez. Enough said.

Catcher - I think they like the tandem of Barnhart and Casali, and we'll see that continue in 2020.

Left Field - As of this moment in time, I'd think that it's likely going to be a platoon situation between Winker and Ervin. Between the two of them, you could probably look at having a .270 hitter with 25 HR's and maybe 75 RBI's (depending on where they bat in the lineup). Is it great? No. Is it serviceable with everyone who's on the team? Maybe.

Center Field - Senzel, if he's healthy. I'd think that Ervin would be the most likely candidate to slide in there, should Nick not be available.

Right Field - Aquino. I hope there's no sophomore jinx for this guy, as pitchers spend the winter figuring out how to get him out. (See Schebler, Scott - 2018/19)

Bench - Again, some of this will be sorted out depending on what they do at second and short. But, for argument's sake, let's say that they resign Iglesias and have Galvis start at second. That'd leave a pool of Farmer, Dietrich, Blandino, VanMeter and Peraza to choose from. Farmer offers the most, in my opinion, because he gives you a 3rd catcher. So, pinch-hitting/running for Barnhart or Casali in a game is always a possibility without running the risk of losing your backup to an injury. Peraza is the only one I'd feel comfortable with defensively playing short on a semi-regular basis, and probably offers the most speed of the other four (which doesn't seem to matter in this day and age). Will they let VanMeter waste away on the bench or send him down to keep getting AB's at Louisville? Dietrich may make it, only because he's left-handed, with some pop.

So, to me, the two positions that need to be addressed first and foremost, are closer and shortstop. So much depends on what they decide to do with those two positions, as it'll trickle down to what you're going to do with the rest of the roster. Is there a possibility of a trade? Sure, although it'd likely be a package deal on our end (maybe a 3 for 1 type of situation). Do I expect any big name signings in free agency? Honestly, not really.

I think they'll look at this season and say that they had plenty of opportunities, but just didn't execute.

Reds cut ties with hitting coach Turner Ward.

Billy Hatcher is out too. He's been on the coaching staff since 2006.

They also dumped the Louisville Bats manager, Jody Davis, who spent a year managing the Double-A Blue Wahoos for the Reds and then took over for the triple-A Bats for 1 year.

Bats pitching coach Jeff Fassero is also gone. He spent 2 years working for the Reds with the Blue Wahoos, and then took over as the Bats pitching coach when they promoted Ted Power to the Reds bullpen coach in 2016.

Double-A pitching coach Danny Darwin is out. He was pitching coach for the Blue Wahoos from 2015-2017, interim Reds pitching coach in 2018 when the Reds canned Mack Jenkins, and then took over as the Chattanooga Lookouts pitching coach last year.

Lookouts hitting coordinator Milt Thompson is also gone after spending 2 years with the Blue Wahoos and 1 with the Lookouts.

Reds cut ties with hitting coach Turner Ward.

If we criticize him for the failed offense of Peraza, Votto, and the catchers do we credit him for Suarez, Iglesias, and Aquino?

I do not even know what a hitting coach does for an MLB team. Is he teaching these players how to hold the bat, swing, and see pitches?

Does JR House still have a job? Good lord, talk about a guy that literally cost us outs.

I haven't seen them announce anything regarding him but I sure hope he's gone. I could tell he was going to get guys out from watching on the first base concourse. Some weren't even close.

If we criticize him for the failed offense of Peraza, Votto, and the catchers do we credit him for Suarez, Iglesias, and Aquino?

I do not even know what a hitting coach does for an MLB team. Is he teaching these players how to hold the bat, swing, and see pitches?

I don't know the answer to either of those questions, I was just reporting the news.

For your second question, i believe they talk a lot about approach, but I've never played baseball.