How old were you when the September 11th attacks happened?

Randy Parker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 Sitting in my 8th grade social studies classroom working on a research paper and saw the headline on the front page of Yahoo. My 13 year old brain couldn't comprehend what the headline meant. Crazy to think it was 18 years ago.

13 Sitting in my 8th grade social studies classroom working on a research paper and saw the headline on the front page of Yahoo. My 13 year old brain couldn't comprehend what the headline meant. Crazy to think it was 18 years ago.

15, sophomore in high school. Geometry class.

You guys were just pups. Man.

You guys were just pups. Man.

I remember it vividly. So many thoughts running through my head.

We turned it on after the first plane hit, like most people. My stomach dropped when we watched the second plane fly into the other tower, at that point you know it's not an accident. My mom worked right up the street at the Capital Annex in Frankfort, so I immediately wondered if someone would attack there. They were evacuated. Then I remember one of the news anchors saying something to the affect of "The United States is at war" and it went all the way through me. That's the first time in my life I took war seriously, or really thought about it affecting my life.

That's the first time in my life I took war seriously, or really thought about it affecting my life.

That was how I was with Desert Storm when it started. War had always been something we studied, and now it was something we were living. Very sobering moment for a junior higher like me at the time, or a high schooler like you during 9/11.

@AriFleischer is an amazing follow on Twitter today. Former Press Secretary for George W. Bush, he tweets his notes, pictures, & recollections from that day. Fascinating reading.

Ari Fleischer @AriFleischer

9:37 Flight 77 is flown into the Pentagon by the terrorists who had hijacked the flight. The President hears about it in his limo en route to the airport.

That was how I was with Desert Storm when it started. War had always been something we studied, and now it was something we were living. Very sobering moment for a junior higher like me at the time, or a high schooler like you during 9/11.

One of the first things my mom said to me when I saw her was "This is your JFK." I didn't quite understand what she meant in that moment, but I came to realize what she meant.