Why All these Teams in Basketball Postseason?

Why are so many teams in the basketball post season? More than two thirds of the games so far have been 10 points or more spread. One third have been completely non-competitive with a winning margin of 25 points or more. I am not even going to go into the running clock games and teams losing by 40 points or more. People complain about attendance - maybe it is because these games aren't worth watching.

Why are all these teams in the basketball post season? Do these losing teams even want to be in the tournament? They know they are going to get annihilated so why play these games? If a team can't win 10 games in the regular season they shouldn't get into the post season. Make the regular season mean something. If we reduce the number of teams in the basketball post season, we could shorten the long drawn out tournament schedule and have the Sweet Sixteen finish before the NCAA tournament starts.

Let's stop these ridiculous first round tournament games. Why does every basketball team get into the tournament?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why these threads are come out pretty much yearly in Oct(football playoffs) and now. For at least the last 25 years every team in the KHSAA in every sport plays in the post season. I know back in the late 80s football was different, i'm not sure of the year that format changed but ever since, every team has made it. I don't think its going to change

Edited by Butterfingers
spelling

I’m with you. We are in the day of everyone gets a chance and a trophy. Suburbanite moms would go nuts if lil Jonny doesn’t get a chance to lose by 40.

This is such an overplayed and lazy narrative. This deal has been the same way for a LONG time, so how does that support "this day of everyone..."?

I have two kids that play a lot of competitive sports year-round, and neither have been given a participation trophy since they were 5 -- what am I doing wrong?

Ask the Seneca RedHawks how happy they are that everyone makes the district tournament. One upset over Waggener and now they’re headed to the Seventh Region tournament for the first time in five years.

You are so right. When I saw that score, I knew anything can happen tourney time. Myself I want it to stay the way it is and just sit back and enjoy the journey that this season brings.

Every team in the NCAA gets to make it to the postseason through their conference tournaments. Each team in the district tournament is trying to get into their region tournament so I think this is an ok practice. Especially considering there is only 1 state champion. Stop complaining. If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Ask any Indiana high school basketball traditionalist and they will tell you the worst thing they ever did was move to class basketball.

I believe VOR is attempting to make the football argument in this thread (he seems to have some passion around the everyone gets in argument); however, there is a big difference in having six classes and a single class. I really doubt football would sign up for the basketball treatment.

Typically the 5th seed is Fort Knox so that play in game can get ugly. But after that game the district is always a dogfight. There are no easy games between the top 4 teams. Heck I wish we could play some of the teams I see across the state in the 1st round of districts. A lot of teams have an automatic trip to the regions every year.

Edited by dognation2

I like the way it is, because as everyone says, there is always a chance that David might slay Goliath.

I also like the fact that we aren't required to play the district teams during the regular season, but everybody does have a chance to play during tournament time. I will use the 44th and Madison Central as an example. We don't play Berea or Model during the regular season, and there is no reason to do that. Those games would be huge blow outs and wouldn't be to the betterment of any team. Besides, not making Central schedule those teams, they can schedule other top teams like they do every year (Trinity, Ballard, Cov Cath this year) in those schools place.

Playing them during the year would be meaningless, even with an upset of Central it wouldn't really mean anything more then bragging rights. On the other hand, an upset of Central in District play and you have done something, and are rewarded for the win. Just my 2 cents worth on why everybody should get a chance come district time.