COVID-19 What Will Television Programming Look Like?

mcpapa

I too have wondered what they are going to going to do. It is great to say, "just show re-runs of classic games," but people are not going to be setting their dials to watch the 1987 NCAA regional finals. These networks have parent companies, so my assumption is a lot of the prime network programming will filter onto these networks, in spots. I flipped over to SportsCenter yesterday and they were prodding through highlights of a MEAC women's basketball tournament game (a/k/a last game before everything was shut down). I get what they were trying to do, but it was rough. Point being, if something obscure starts playing before others, I don't think ESPN, et al. are going to jump on the coverage just because it is the only thing going.

I wonder if sports writers and sports broadcasters will be laid off.

Depends on how long things are abnormal. Also depends on the post-virus reality: do people flock back, as Americans have typically done, or do people realize that sports were a nice to have, not a need to have, and continue to use their free time and discretionary income in other ways.

I'm guessing the former, but I'm also sure no one will make decisions until that answer is more clearly defined.

I just watched Kentucky beat UL in the 2012 final 4 on YouTube.

Might watch one of the other 500 times we’ve beaten them in my lifetime later tonight.

I’m so sick of watching people on ESPN talk about people not playing sports...