Louisville To Join The Big Ten??

Hearsay

A solid source has told me that Big Ten officials have approached the University of Louisville about joining the Big Ten Conference, and that university officials are strongly considering it, though Rick Pitino is opposed. Is this old news? Has anyone elese heard this?

I haven't heard that at all, doesn't mean that it is not a possibility but I wouldn't think so. Imo they will do whatever Pitino wants unless it would be after he leaves when they go in. He (Pitino) wants to be in the Big East

U.L. does have history of conference jumping though. JMO but they can't ever seem to be statisfied or stay in one. :D

First I've heard of it, although it is an intriguing idea. Maybe the Big East could lure Penn State out of the Big Ten in exchange for a Louisville defection!

That would sort of defeat the purpose of the Big11 picking up a 12th team.

I have not heard this yet but seems unlilely to me JMO i dont think l'ville would be a good match for the Big 10 JMO I think they are better off right where they are ...

If it's more about the chance to win a championship, they need to stay put. If it's about money, well...

Wouldn't Notre Dame be a good fit for the Big 10?

There's been talk of Notre Dame joining the Big Ten for years. Geographically and from the standpoint of traditional rivalries they would be a great fit, but the Irish ship appears to be going down fast. And there's never been any indication that Notre Dame would be willing to give up its status as a football independent to join a conference.

There's been talk of Notre Dame joining the Big Ten for years. Geographically and from the standpoint of traditional rivalries they would be a great fit, but the Irish ship appears to be going down fast. And there's never been any indication that Notre Dame would be willing to give up its status as a football independent to join a conference.

I have also heard talk of Pitt to the big10. That to me would be a good fit. A Pitt-Penn St. war would be a in conference game and add another strong rivalry to the conference.

From a league revenue standpoint is doesn't make sense to add Louisville.

Right now, the biggest thing on the Big 11's plate is their network.

Adding the Louisville market does very little to help them get their network, nationwide. Something like 70% of the cable subscribers do not have Big 11 Network.

In addition, there is something scholastically that all Big 11 schools have in common and Louisville is not one of them...neither is UK before you think I am bashing....

I think they will look westward to possibly add Missouri and grab the St. Louis market or eastward and making a run at say Pitt or Rutgers, to add the east coast market.