UK move to the ACC?

ADopted ADmiral

But do the extra wins offset that as far as enthusiasm goes?

Possibly. Winning does put fans in seats. I hate to take a step back and there is no doubt going to the ACC is a step back. Think about the other sports. SEC baseball, track, swimming, women's basketball, etc. are all top shelf. Not to mention the long history in the SEC that all gets thrown out the door. Is 1-2 more wins a year in football worth giving up all that? Not for me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please say you aren't referring to Mike Bush, who led UofL in rushing in exactly one game that season, and he only played one half of that game. The other kid you refer to (Brohm) didn't start every game that year due to injury. The best two players on that team production-wise were Harry Douglas and Okoye. Brohm had lots of targets that year, including Kolby Smith, Urrutia, Barnridge, Bolen- all skill players with some NFL time, along with NFL-calliber linemen and defensive players like William Gay. I just realized I didn't even mention Allen.That team was much more than Bush and Brohm, an especially specious argument with how little Bush played.

They got there on the back of the best two players to come out of KY in 25 years. If UK is going to count on the state producing Brohm and Bush on a regular basis, and they have to if they are ever going to actually compete in the SEC, they are better of rolling the dice against Duke, UNC, Wake and so on. Simple math...

They got there on the back of the best two players to come out of KY in 25 years. If UK is going to count on the state producing Brohm and Bush on a regular basis, and they have to if they are ever going to actually compete in the SEC, they are better of rolling the dice against Duke, UNC, Wake and so on. Simple math...
I agree that they are better off in the ACC, but repeating your argument about Bush and Brohm doesn't make it true.

I agree that they are better off in the ACC, but repeating your argument about Bush and Brohm doesn't make it true.

Kentucky is the recruiting base. Brohm and Bush are the two best recruits to come out of the state in a long time. You are making my point ten fold. Neither would have put UK at the top of the SEC. Period. End of debate... :D

Kentucky is the recruiting base. Brohm and Bush are the two best recruits to come out of the state in a long time. You are making my point ten fold. Neither would have put UK at the top of the SEC. Period. End of debate...
Put those kids with all the Florida, Georgia and Ohio kids on that team, though, and hey presto! SEC East contender. :D

I can't get over all of this pie eyed expectations of UK football, and a little UL thrown in there. UL was very good (some say elite:lol:) for what 2-3 seasons. UK? Well I don't know what team you guys have been watching, has had very little success in forever. Why do we think that somehow they can compete? That's like me thinking " I think I can bench press 400 lbs", even though I have never come close to that. Can we please try and have reaslistic discussions here? Can we quit saying " oh let's just fork out the bucks and get Urban Meyer". Urban Meyer will coach at UK the day I bench 400 lbs.

I can't get over all of this pie eyed expectations of UK football, and a little UL thrown in there. UL was very good (some say elite:lol:) for what 2-3 seasons. UK? Well I don't know what team you guys have been watching, has had very little success in forever. Why do we think that somehow they can compete? That's like me thinking " I think I can bench press 400 lbs", even though I have never come close to that. Can we please try and have reaslistic discussions here? Can we quit saying " oh let's just fork out the bucks and get Urban Meyer". Urban Meyer will coach at UK the day I bench 400 lbs.

Agree on expectations of some fans in regards to UK football. I'm not understanding where this optimism is coming from. Rich Brooks had as good a run as the program has seen in quite some time, with those four consecutive bowl victories. And even though the league record in that time span was nothing to write home about, there were still very memorable moments--namely beating #1 & eventual national champion LSU. But never during those seasons did the team defeat Tennessee or Florida, and never did the team win more than eight games.

UL, as I believe GT has correctly pointed out, caught lightning in a bottle by having some seldom, home-state, upper-tier talent. The Cards did have a great run there, but it was due largely to home-grown talent that is very scarce in the Bluegrass.

Agree on expectations of some fans in regards to UK football. I'm not understanding where this optimism is coming from. Rich Brooks had as good a run as the program has seen in quite some time, with those four consecutive bowl victories. And even though the league record in that time span was nothing to write home about, there were still very memorable moments--namely beating #1 & eventual national champion LSU. But never during those seasons did the team defeat Tennessee or Florida, and never did the team win more than eight games.

UL, as I believe GT has correctly pointed out, caught lightning in a bottle by having some seldom, home-state, upper-tier talent. The Cards did have a great run there, but it was due largely to home-grown talent that is very scarce in the Bluegrass.

Which is why they need to go to the ACC.

And with all of that talent UL had ONE year. ONE. In the Big East. Case closed when it comes to my point of the recruiting base that will keep UK at the bottom of the SEC forever...

The perfect storm converged for U of L.

How often are they going to get a guy of Petrino's caliber as their head coach? And, what are the odds of having that happen at the same time you get the once-in-a-quarter century talent from your state? That was by far the best team U of L had and that wouldn't have been good enough to win the SEC.

Isn't that the point? Everything falls perfect and you're still not good enough.

I think UK moving to the ACC would lead to anarchy and rioting in the state among the fan base. Can you imagine having to play as many as 6 games (maybe more) against Duke and UNC every year? We would undoubtedly lose some of those. I'm not sure Big Blue Nation could live under those conditions.