Highlands 2011/2012

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should prove to be an interesting thread. The real question might be when this team will be able to start practice seeing as how there are very few that play basketball only. The team will return 3 seniors (assuming they play) in Patrick Towles, Carter New and Lewis Samson (j/k). Last years frosh team had some success, but consisted largely of football players/athletes outside of Brendan Buten. How many of these kids will join the program after football season concludes? Could be a long year in Bird land if for no other reason than a lack of experience at the varsity level. Early schedule seems to be favorable which may be a good thing in the long run. Good Luck to Coach Flynn and crew.

When basketball tryouts start on Oct 15th there will not be enough boys present to scrimmage. 11 of 16 returning players from last years end of season expanded roster (included 6 freshmen) will be in fall sports. 10 of the 16 in football.

The early season schedule does contain some small schools which will help the Birds. The exception being the December 13th game against Dixie.

When basketball tryouts start on Oct 15th there will not be enough boys present to scrimmage. 11 of 16 returning players from last years end of season expanded roster (included 6 freshmen) will be in fall sports. 10 of the 16 in football.

The early season schedule does contain some small schools which will help the Birds. The exception being the December 13th game against Dixie.

Are any of these guys playing summer ball?

Are any of these guys playing summer ball?

Summer players-Srs-5'10 Carter New. jrs- 6'1 Bailey Witte, 6'2 Luke Turner, 6'2 Jake Gronotte, 5'7 Karl Hinkel, 6'0 Zach Carter, Sophs- 6'2 Seth Hope, 6'2 Brandon Hergott, 6'0 Drew Houliston, 5'11 Luke Brockett, 5'5 Brendan Buten, 6'0 Ryan Greene.

No shows- Srs- Patrick Towels & Samson Lewis. PT was held out avoiding risk of injury for football. No clue where Lewis was those 3 weekend camps. Jrs- Donovan McCoy, Jac Collinsworth, Soph- Nick True (healing from shoulder surgery in Feb).

Fall players should be Lewis (after soccer), Witte, Gronotte, Hinkel, Carter, Buten. The rest are all football players, should be interesting.

Flynn introduced some new styles this summer of which I hope carries into the season. Alot of pressing, attacking the basket, transition offense and letting it fly. With the athletes suiting up this should bode well. iMO if they slow it down and try to run half court offense they may have trouble scoring 40.

Do the FBers not play at all in the summer? AAU, anything?

I think that this was addressed numerous times in the "What's Wrong with Highlands Basketball" thread. Those not mentioned by Q above are football players first and basketball is a secondary sport that they play. I still contend that college coaches would rather have a multi-sport type athlete over an athlete that only plays one sport but that is just my opinion.

I think that this was addressed numerous times in the "What's Wrong with Highlands Basketball" thread. Those not mentioned by Q above are football players first and basketball is a secondary sport that they play. I still contend that college coaches would rather have a multi-sport type athlete over an athlete that only plays one sport but that is just my opinion.

Im not opposed to multi sport athletes but the basketball program is going to be way behind this year when the season starts. I wouldnt expect them to start jelling until January at best.

Fact!

You are absolutely correct in your opinion. I have spoken with numerous college coaches recently and they ALL said they love multi sport athletes and encourage kids to play multi sports in high school. They love kids that like to compete, period.

Simon Kenton's 1981 team had 4 of the 7 play football that year. Their basketball season got off to a slow start....but it's how you finish the season, not how you start it.

Simon Kenton's football season ended before Halloween. Highlands football season won't end until well after Thanksgiving. Apples and oranges.

I posed no opinions on multi sport athletes. I simply asked if the FBers even touched a basketball in the summer. I know in the past that some of the guys still played some AAU. Simple question. At least I thought it was.

I posed no opinions on multi sport athletes. I simply asked if the FBers even touched a basketball in the summer. I know in the past that some of the guys still played some AAU. Simple question. At least I thought it was.

I was really trying to answer it, honestly. The footballers for the most part do not pick up a basketball once the season is over in February or March. Many do not attend the open gyms that Coach Flynn has in the spring or during the month of June. You can see from Q's list that there are several kids that did not play this summer. Those that have played AAU in the past have primarily been basketball players only. There are a few classes back to back beginning with this years sophomores through this years 8th graders that play multiple sports of which basketball is one and do have some success with it. There are a few basketball only players in that mix so the key may be for those kids to develop and the footballers to be the missing links for this program to get back to the level that it was not to long ago. The key here is for those kids to continue playing those multiple sports. That is the point that I was trying to make.