Highlands 2011/2012

I was really trying to answer it, honestly. The footballers for the most part do not pick up a basketball once the season is over in February or March. Many do not attend the open gyms that Coach Flynn has in the spring or during the month of June. You can see from Q's list that there are several kids that did not play this summer. Those that have played AAU in the past have primarily been basketball players only. There are a few classes back to back beginning with this years sophomores through this years 8th graders that play multiple sports of which basketball is one and do have some success with it. There are a few basketball only players in that mix so the key may be for those kids to develop and the footballers to be the missing links for this program to get back to the level that it was not to long ago. The key here is for those kids to continue playing those multiple sports. That is the point that I was trying to make.

OK. I wouldn't put much stock in middle school success. It has not translated to varsity success in a while. My knowledge of the program today is much less than a few years ago. Hopefully they will get it figured out and get back to Rupp.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making it to Rupp requires a particular dedication from all kids in the program and I'm not seeing it from a few especially when you have some kids who started 8-10 games and others who are projected to help not even show up for 1 freaking summer game. Pathetic IMO and I just hope the kids who did show and work hard are rewarded win or lose. I'm sure the excuses will be in full force but they played 18-19 games over 3 weekends against solid competition. Could they possibly be tied up that much to where they couldnt play atleast a few games? You can't expect to pick a ball up for the first time on dec 10th and be effective, much less beat the Dixies, Boones and CovCaths earning the right to represent the 9th.

I know that sounded negative but they have some nice athletes who can get after it and if they play as a team they could knock off some top teams. I think what is important is the style they play. Personally I'd like to see Coach Flynn go back to his Bulldog style of play and wheel 8-9 kids in and out pressing, attacking and creating havoc.

Good Luck Birds

OK. I wouldn't put much stock in middle school success. It has not translated to varsity success in a while. My knowledge of the program today is much less than a few years ago. Hopefully they will get it figured out and get back to Rupp.

If you don't look at middle school success, what do you look at. The last really good teams at the middle school level were those that graduated two years ago and they had some success and would have had more IMO if not for injuries to very key players. Last years senior class and the current years senior class had so so seasons at the middle school level and have been more than competitive in the 9th region. I feel that things are on the upswing in the basketball program if kids can be convinced to stay involved in the program while also participating in soccer, football, baseball and whatever other sport they take part in.

If you don't look at middle school success, what do you look at. The last really good teams at the middle school level were those that graduated two years ago and they had some success and would have had more IMO if not for injuries to very key players. Last years senior class and the current years senior class had so so seasons at the middle school level and have been more than competitive in the 9th region. I feel that things are on the upswing in the basketball program if kids can be convinced to stay involved in the program while also participating in soccer, football, baseball and whatever other sport they take part in.

A few years back HMS won the 8th grade state title. The 2008 seniors, McGraw, Simpson and co. made it to the finals in 8th grade. Pretty promising. You'd think. I do agree that they have to keep the kids in the program. In 2008 they were only 3 players left from what was one of the premier teams in the state as 8th graders.

A few years back HMS won the 8th grade state title. The 2008 seniors, McGraw, Simpson and co. made it to the finals in 8th grade. Pretty promising. You'd think. I do agree that they have to keep the kids in the program. In 2008 they were only 3 players left from what was one of the premier teams in the state as 8th graders.

Was that due to the "3 from each class" theory? :D

Was that due to the "3 from each class" theory? :D

Ha. Not really funny though. That class was loaded with athletes. I was almost positive we were to see a trip to Rupp with them. Oh well, thats the past. Hopefully the current coach can get the program turned around.

A couple years back I am pretty sure that Louisville Central won the state championship in football and took Holmes to OT in a game that they could of won in regulation at the state tourney basketball championship. I think at Christmas their record was something like 0-12. Christian County had several off this years team that played football as well. It did not seem to hurt Highlands when they had Smith and Lorenzon? Winning rubs off to other sports programs, the coaches have to work together and kids have to be dedicated. It seems as if Highlands wins a football championship every year and their basketball has struggled. Coaches can make it work and when they do everyone prospers.

The only saving grace for next years Birds is that the 9th will be way down . They will have trouble scoring.

That will help but you may be surprised if the style of play changes. With no Stewart or Crowley to rely on points inside/out they should go to an open offense/pressing defense style which should create more scoring opportunities. I was very impressed with some Sophs this summer who can get after it and attack. Seth Hope 6'2 190lb soph has a motor that doesnt stop, 6'2 Brandon Hergott has a lot of athleticism, 6' Drew Houliston should add to the mix and 5'5 Brendan Buten is fearless and will give opposing point guards fits. Mix in 6'0 Ryan Greene who can leap out of the gym and is extremely quick, I can see Coach Flynn going with an 8-9 man rotation throughout games and demanding they get after it.

I wouldnt look for any one particular player to avg more than 12 points a game, they will score by committee most likely.

That will help but you may be surprised if the style of play changes. With no Stewart or Crowley to rely on points inside/out they should go to an open offense/pressing defense style which should create more scoring opportunities. I was very impressed with some Sophs this summer who can get after it and attack. Seth Hope 6'2 190lb soph has a motor that doesnt stop, 6'2 Brandon Hergott has a lot of athleticism, 6' Drew Houliston should add to the mix and 5'5 Brendan Buten is fearless and will give opposing point guards fits. Mix in 6'0 Ryan Greene who can leap out of the gym and is extremely quick, I can see Coach Flynn going with an 8-9 man rotation throughout games and demanding they get after it.

I wouldnt look for any one particular player to avg more than 12 points a game, they will score by committee most likely.

I have watched all of those young men play and you are correct. They are good players and they can definately get after it.

• 3 months later...
I heard because of football, a few frosh will be making the trip. And I'm guessing they will be there this weekend too.

A couple possibly, Jensen and Harret. Here is who I know they have going. Lewis 6'1, Witte 6'1, Carter 6', Hinkel 5'8, Gronotte 6'2, Shephard 5'11, Reuhl, Buten 5'5 and then the two Frosh. I may be leaving someone out in the soph class but Lewis is the only Sr, the rest JRs and Sophs.

When football commences I would expect to see these guys suit up.

Towles 6'5

New. 5'10

Turner 6'1

Collinsworth 6'3

Hope 6'2

Hergott 6'1

Green 6'

True 6'5

Harris 6'

A couple possibly, Jensen and Harret. Here is who I know they have going. Lewis 6'1, Witte 6'1, Carter 6', Hinkel 5'8, Gronotte 6'2, Shephard 5'11, Reuhl, Buten 5'5 and then the two Frosh. I may be leaving someone out in the soph class but Lewis is the only Sr, the rest JRs and Sophs.

When football commences I would expect to see these guys suit up.

Towles 6'5

New. 5'10

Turner 6'1

Collinsworth 6'3

Hope 6'2

Hergott 6'1

Green 6'

True 6'5

Harris 6'

I forgot to add Soph Drew Houliston 6' guard who is another footballer.

Guest Birdflu
I forgot to add Soph Drew Houliston 6' guard who is another footballer.

Do you think True will start when he joins the basketball team?