Russell 27 Owensboro Catholic 14

onetoya

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoulda, coulda, woulda......I've kept saying the same thing about our loss to the Devils this year, but you know what.....They did what they needed to win that game and all other comers except Boyd County. Its time to give credit where credit is DUE...Their a pretty darn good football team. Congrats again to the 2005 AA State Champion Red Devils.

My understanding is that he suffered from cramps in the fourth quarter. Don't know for sure that he missed any time because of them, but I'm sure they would have affected his performance.

No doubt Mr Johnson was important to Fort Campbell but there are 10 other players on the field besides him...If one player missing or not able to play 100% on defense is the difference in a game, I'm not so sure the team is as good as they were touted...Granted, he is Mr Football and cannot be fully replaced but I would think a team could hold on to the lead they had if they were as good as everyone said...

It's hard for us in the east to really think these teams in the west are as good as everyone says year in & year out...It seems like most years we hear the winner is coming out of the west yet the east, with it's "inferior" teams, seem to bring home the hardware...How is this?? :confused:

No doubt Mr Johnson was important to Fort Campbell but there are 10 other players on the field besides him...If one player missing or not able to play 100% on defense is the difference in a game, I'm not so sure the team is as good as they were touted...Granted, he is Mr Football and cannot be fully replaced but I would think a team could hold on to the lead they had if they were as good as everyone said...
It wasn't just Johnson that was missing. Gordon is a Notre Dame commitment and he was gone, too. Few, if any, 2A teams could lose two big-time recruits and not feel the pinch for long.

It's hard for us in the east to really think these teams in the west are as good as everyone says year in & year out...It seems like most years we hear the winner is coming out of the west yet the east, with it's "inferior" teams, seem to bring home the hardware...How is this?? :confused:
I won't argue with that premise, although this is the first year in some time that I felt the west side of 2A was better than the east half. You couldn't tell it by the title game, though.

I said early on that if Fort Campbell didn't win it this year, they probably never will, with Johnson, Gordon, Misaalefua and Co. and the home-field advantage all the way to Louisville. I still think Fort Campbell was the best team in the west, but they didn't get it done on the field.

This is the first time since Bardstown-Prestonsburg in 2001 that I thought the west representative was the definite favorite in the title game. Not coincidentally, I'm not sure the best team in the west has made it to the finals since that Bardstown team.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda......I've kept saying the same thing about our loss to the Devils this year, but you know what.....They did what they needed to win that game and all other comers except Boyd County. Its time to give credit where credit is DUE...Their a pretty darn good football team. Congrats again to the 2005 AA State Champion Red Devils.

Thanks for the compliment...I don't think I am alone in the feeling that this year's edition wasn't necessarily a "great" team in the sense most of us think of. I think one of the OC players summed it up best by describing them as relentless (or something to that effect). Even while the Devils kept winning, some of us always felt, "Well, yeah we won, but we could have done this or that much better." Even through the playoffs, it seemed like Russell never really put together a complete game, at least IMO. When you are winning playoff games and still haven't played your best, you just feel like that REALLY good game is still out there for you. I think this past Saturday was the best, most complete game I saw us play this season (and even then, there were some things that could have been done better...not that we're complaining :D). No disrespect to any of our previous opponents, that's just my feeling. This years seniors really matured as the season wore on and they became accustomed to the yoke of leadership which had been carried for them the past few years. It was their time to step up, and they...as a group...did just that. Now let's see about next year's seniors and if they can get the same kind of results.

Looking at his regular season stats on the BGP playoff preview earlier today, I realized he had around 600 yards rushing, not sure on receiving yards and 17 or 18 TD's in the playoffs. He really stepped it up and earned his yards and scores against tough opponents week-in and week-out during the post-season.

It wasn't just Johnson that was missing. Gordon is a Notre Dame commitment and he was gone, too. Few, if any, 2A teams could lose two big-time recruits and not feel the pinch for long.

I won't argue with that premise, although this is the first year in some time that I felt the west side of 2A was better than the east half. You couldn't tell it by the title game, though.

I said early on that if Fort Campbell didn't win it this year, they probably never will, with Johnson, Gordon, Misaalefua and Co. and the home-field advantage all the way to Louisville. I still think Fort Campbell was the best team in the west, but they didn't get it done on the field.

I disagree that the west was much better than the East! There were three solid teams in the east that could have beaten OC! Belfry, Russell, and Newport would have given it all to the west! I also feel as if there may have been three good teams in the West (OC, Ft. Campbell, and Trigg). I have to give the edge to the East!

I agree....FC would have matched up better with Russell IMO, and walked all over them with their running game. Its all about matchups.

If you think FC would have walked all over Russell with their running game you are dead wrong. Russell's strength on defense was against the run. Just ask Belfry and Mercer Co. Two very good running teams who had to change that approach and try to spread the field. Neither had much success with the power running game.