Russell 20 Belfry 14

Argus

Don't condone anything that was said by the players that was "unpolite", but you don't set your tunnel up in the middle of the home team's field like that. I can't imagine that happening last year at Vipperman.

It was an honest mistake by the Belfry cheerleaders. They moved when they were asked. It was no big deal.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was an honest mistake by the Belfry cheerleaders. They moved when they were asked. It was no big deal.

Didn't mean to make it a big deal. Just made an observation. I was impressed with both the Belfry crowd and their enthusiasm for their team.

Some not so smart plays really kept this game closer than it should have been. (Protect the ball at all times and throw the ball away if there is nothing there). Belfry, to their credit, and to the credit of coach Haywood and his staff never quit.

The Pirates coaching staff made some big adjustments at the half, including spreading the field a little on offense. Nobody could cover Chapman one on one. He used his size to screen smaller defenders and he was the sole reason that Belfry could move the ball.

Russell has to play smarter if they want to win it all. I don't know exactly what happened on all of those penalties, but you have to keep your emotions in check. It looked like there was an awful lot of jawing going on by both teams.

Looked like Maynard was battling cramps most of the nite. I thought our defense did a good job cutting off the sidelines and pursuing when he had the ball. He obviously had the speed that was touted all week. He caught Tommy Brown from way down the field to spoil the TD.

Looked like Maynard was battling cramps most of the nite. I thought our defense did a good job cutting off the sidelines and pursuing when he had the ball. He obviously had the speed that was touted all week. He caught Tommy Brown from way down the field to spoil the TD.

That was a great play.

Great game Devils! Should have been up by two more TD's at the half. Belfry didn't quit though. Couldn't believe the call on the 1 yd line. (You have to pound those points on the board between the tackles.) Refs seemed to be a bit hankie happy and most went against us. Loved how our team took the field back from the Belfry cheerleaders before the start of the game. Remember, it's our house! Here's a suggestion for Haywood; have your team take a knee when a player is injured. It's the classy thing to do. Can't wait to get to the 'Ville for the big one. Go Devils!!!

On the "take a knee" comment, VISA VERSA. Congrats on the win though, it was an awesome game and good luck next week.

WORST play call in the history of Belfry football that leads to the INT

I disagree. Belfry was having trouble moving the ball on the ground and Chapman made big plays all night. It was a good adjusment by the Russell staff to roll the coverage to the split side. Clark made a good break on the pass and sealed the victory with the Interception.

Congratulations to Russell and Coach McGlone. Belfry simply got beaten by a better team tonight. As many have said, it could have been 35-0 at the half.

Belfry showed a lot of heart hanging in there until big MO swung over to our side and then they rode him well the rest of the way through.

I wish the Russell team all the luck in the world next week. Prepare well, stay sharp and go to Louisville and bring home the gold. Keep your emotions in check and don't hurt yourself with mental mistakes. Its the little things that win big games. Good luck to you, I'll be pulling for you 100%. :thumb:

What an amazing play by Maynard to run down the Russell ballcarrier and strip the ball at the 1 in the first half to save the score. He had to make up at least 25 yards on that play to catch the guy. Unreal.

On the tunnel incident, it was not intentional and not malicious. Most places, the teams enter from opposite ends of the field and they went to the end Belfry was expected. I don't know if they thought it through enough to realize that Russell was about to enter from the same end. They weren't disrespecting anyone and they immediately moved over when asked. I was proud of the way they handled it. As LRCW stated, it was no big deal.

WORST play call in the history of Belfry football that leads to the INT

Nice post, NEXT, and right on cue. :rolleyes: How on earth did you manage to hold it in until the 4th post? Can I assume you were at least at the game? Please tell us you were bashing the coaches based on your own observations of the game and not from a radio broadcast or update thread or worse yet, a phone call from somebody equally anxious to grind an axe. Please.

Russell you played an outstanding 1st half of ball. Coach McGlone called the perfect mix of pass/run plays and had the Belfry defense looking for answers that were never found until the 2nd half. The Devils looked like a well oiled machine and just did not quit, especially in the 1st quarter. A score of 20 to 0 could have easily been more had Maynard not caught #3 from behind, knocking the ball from his hands and causing the fumble out of the endzone. I feel that was the spark that brought a little life back into, what I thought, was a bunch of zombies out there instead of Pirates. However, when everything looked its darkest, out came a different team when the BELFRY PIRATES showed up for the 2nd half. For a few minutes we played like champions and then when everything was falling into place, it was as though someone threw a wrench into our gears and we began building up negative, instead of positive yardage. I know it hurts,I have been there and I too played my final game not to long ago as a Pirate and when you have the turnovers like we had tonight and the flags thrown at the end of the game its hard to come from behind and beat another good team. Hey, I am as proud of the Pirates as I have ever been and they have nothing to hang their heads about. Tonight we just got beat by a team that was just as good as we were.

To my Pirates, you had another outstanding season and I am already looking forward to next year. For the seniors, I know it hurts, but trust me its gets better, maybe not tomorrow or the next day or even months from now, but one day you will be able to look back and smile and think, wow, that was the greatest time in my life, even though I lost my final game, I gave it my all. I never quit and left it all on the field. No one can ever take that from you and remember no matter where you are or how old you may be you will always be a Belfry Pirate.

As for Russell, it hurts to loose, especially to an old rival, but tonight you earned it and you beat the best. So go next week and bring home the gold. It likes living in Eastern Kentucky, even if it is a few miles north from its home for the past two years. But remember, enjoy it while you can because next year, I promise you, the Pirates will be ready to take back the gold back(hopefully after a Red Devil win next Saturday). Round 3 next year at the CAM sound good to you all. :thumb:

WOW!!! What a game!!!

To say I was shocked by Russell's first half dominance would be an understatement...I did expect us to win but I would not have been surprised if we didn't...We were playing the 2 time defending champs and although it was a different team, it was still the same tradition...I didn't expect them to walk into our stadium & hand it to us and they had a good 2000 people with them who were determined to help them get back to Papa John's...As it turned out, they weren't as ready as it appeared in the first half to hand over the reigns...

Momentum is funny thing and it can change like the wind!! Do you realize how close we were to being up 34-0 at the half?? Two great defensive plays/stands by Belfry made it 20-0 instead and set the stage for some nervous moments for the Devil faithful...As I stated in another post, the plays in question were right in front of me because I was standing at the goal line...On Brown's long run the defender popped the ball lose at the 1 1/2 yardline & the ball rolled into the endzone & out of bounds...That's a touchback & Belfry's ball...On the second play in question Brown was down just inside the 1 yard line...I wanted those scores too because they would have been nails in the coffin but they were the CORRECT calls...

Credit Belfry for coming out in the second half and giving themselves an opportunity to win a game that could have easily been over at the half...They played with the type of heart you expect champions to play with...You have to admire that type of determination...It's a credit to the players, their families, & the coaches who instill the values and character it takes to compete at that level...Hold your heads high Pond Creek Nation...Not many will ever have the type of run you had... :thumb:

Now, it's out turn to carry the torch for the eastern end of the state...It's been a long 27 years...We've sure been close recently and now we have another shot to win a title for our great school, players, & coaches...For many of us, it seems LONG overdue...Other Russell teams like 1979, 1996, 2002, & 2004 have been just as worthy but were not as fortunate to get to this point...You carry their memories with you...You have an opportunity that they dreamed of but were unable to realize...You can make things a little better by taking that final step and bringing another championship home to Russell High School...

Last night Belfry played with the heart of a champion...You guys took that one "step" further...The words are on the top step as you leave the field...Read them & believe them everytime you walk up those steps..."Heart of a Red Devil"...Win or lose , you play for the LOVE & HONOR of Russell High School...Never take that lightly!!

:fire: 58

Nice post, NEXT, and right on cue. How on earth did you manage to hold it in until the 4th post? Can I assume you were at least at the game? Please tell us you were bashing the coaches based on your own observations of the game and not from a radio broadcast or update thread or worse yet, a phone call from somebody equally anxious to grind an axe. Please.

No axe to grind, just think thats a horrible call with 50 secs to go and ball inside the 20. Gee whiz, not calling for Coach Haywoods head.

Congratulations to Russell and Coach McGlone. Belfry simply got beaten by a better team tonight. As many have said, it could have been 35-0 at the half.

Belfry showed a lot of heart hanging in there until big MO swung over to our side and then they rode him well the rest of the way through.

I wish the Russell team all the luck in the world next week. Prepare well, stay sharp and go to Louisville and bring home the gold. Keep your emotions in check and don't hurt yourself with mental mistakes. Its the little things that win big games. Good luck to you, I'll be pulling for you 100%. :thumb:

What an amazing play by Maynard to run down the Russell ballcarrier and strip the ball at the 1 in the first half to save the score. He had to make up at least 25 yards on that play to catch the guy. Unreal.

On the tunnel incident, it was not intentional and not malicious. Most places, the teams enter from opposite ends of the field and they went to the end Belfry was expected. I don't know if they thought it through enough to realize that Russell was about to enter from the same end. They weren't disrespecting anyone and they immediately moved over when asked. I was proud of the way they handled it. As LRCW stated, it was no big deal.

Nice post, NEXT, and right on cue. :rolleyes: How on earth did you manage to hold it in until the 4th post? Can I assume you were at least at the game? Please tell us you were bashing the coaches based on your own observations of the game and not from a radio broadcast or update thread or worse yet, a phone call from somebody equally anxious to grind an axe. Please.

And who has an axe to grind? :madman:

No axe to grind, just think thats a horrible call with 50 secs to go and ball inside the 20. Gee whiz, not calling for Coach Haywoods head.

The play had been there all night, and had gone for good gains. Belfry was down to one timeout, and Maynard had been stuffed on the previous play. It was a good call on Haywood's part, and a great play by Kasey Clark for the interception.