Russell 20 Belfry 14

Argus

Sorry, I could not make it to the game last night. I had to work in Northern Ohio. I attempted to listen to the game on the internet broadcast. It was like the announcers were in an echo chamber. Had to listen via cell phone.

The Red Devils pulled it off. They beat the two time State Champs. Great game.

The Belfry players have nothing to hang thier heads about. Realistically Belfry was one play away from going to Louisville. Great season.

Now Russell needs to get ready for O.C.

I will be there.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WORST play call in the history of Belfry football that leads to the INT

How in the world can folks question the play calling and coaching decisions of Coach Haywood last night? You just won two State Championships. I sat in the bleachers on the Belfry side last night and I was amazed at one fan in particular who kept screaming at the Belfry staff about their decision making. I honestly believe last night was an OUTSTANDING coaching job by Haywood and his staff. Many coaches and teams would have panicked at half-time. Instead of falling apart they made key adjustments and stepped up and simply outplayed Russell in the 2nd half. Belfry kept hanging around and was in a position at the end to win the game. It just didn't bounce their way. Big Congratulations to Coach McGlone and the Red Devils. Their first half performance was incredible. Good Luck next week!

I do still believe that if belfry played belfry ball they would have one it.. I have no idea what they were doing in the first half... and yes I can't get over that they lost .... but I'm here to say that them boys wanted it...

They acted like the ball had oil all over it...

Belfry tried to play "belfry ball" in the first half. They stayed double tights, tried to run belly and power and could not move the ball against a good Russell defense. They changed their MO in the second half and had a little more success spreading the field and with the pass.

And please. Every player out there wanted to win just as much as the others. The best team won.

Belfry was a false start from taking the lead. Russell played well, but IMO, and yes I was there, Maglone almost lost it for them. Why the vanilla in the second half by Russell?

Maybe you should think more about Coach McGlone's outstanding game plan that vaulted Russell to what turned out to be an insurmountable first half lead.

Great win for the Devils last night. A tale of two different halves with Russell dominating the 1st half and Belfry the 2nd half. Both teams benefited from mistakes of the other team. However, I felt Russell was significantly more dominant as evident by the total yards gained and points scored. Russell certainly got a big break early with the fumbled kick-off, but moved the ball easily regardless of field position. The Pirates deserve a lot of credit for making 2 big plays to save 2 more 1st half TDs which would have put it out of reach. The Belfry fans should be very proud of their teams no quit attitude. Russell then lost a little focus and gave Belfry a very short field on the INT from a poorly thrown ball to an open receiver and a personal foul followed by a very poor punt. At this point it was game on. Neither team was impressive to me with Russell penalties and Belfry fumbles, but the Devils came up with the big play.

As I predicted, we held Maynard to 89 yards with a few big plays but just as many big losses. I think home field advantage was again a big factor with Russell playing with more confidence. The home winning streak now stands at 22.

Congratulations to Belfry on an awesome ride the last 3 years. It would not surprise me if these two great football programs meet again next year, although I am sure there are several teams in both regions that would beg to differ.

Finally, a big pat on the back and maybe even a warm bear hug to the players and coaches of Russell who have kept knocking at the door and this year at long last got it open. We are very proud of you!!! You guys know you have more work to do and we will be behind you all the way.

Belfry tried to play "belfry ball" in the first half. They stayed double tights, tried to run belly and power and could not move the ball against a good Russell defense. They changed their MO in the second half and had a little more success spreading the field and with the pass.

And please. Every player out there wanted to win just as much as the others. The best team won.

I agree, I hate that who wants it more! The first half went to Russell because of what they were doing not what Belfry wasn't doing!

Great win for the Devils last night. A tale of two different halves with Russell dominating the 1st half and Belfry the 2nd half. Both teams benefited from mistakes of the other team. However, I felt Russell was significantly more dominant as evident by the total yards gained and points scored. Russell certainly got a big break early with the fumbled kick-off, but moved the ball easily regardless of field position. The Pirates deserve a lot of credit for making 2 big plays to save 2 more 1st half TDs which would have put it out of reach. The Belfry fans should be very proud of their teams no quit attitude. Russell then lost a little focus and gave Belfry a very short field on the INT from a poorly thrown ball to an open receiver and a personal foul followed by a very poor punt. At this point it was game on. Neither team was impressive to me with Russell penalties and Belfry fumbles, but the Devils came up with the big play.

As I predicted, we held Maynard to 89 yards with a few big plays but just as many big losses. I think home field advantage was again a big factor with Russell playing with more confidence. The home winning streak now stands at 22.

Congratulations to Belfry on an awesome ride the last 3 years. It would not surprise me if these two great football programs meet again next year, although I am sure there are several teams in both regions that would beg to differ.

Finally, a big pat on the back and maybe even a warm bear hug to the players and coaches of Russell who have kept knocking at the door and this year at long last got it open. We are very proud of you!!! You guys know you have more work to do and we will be behind you all the way.

I dont really think the homefrield advantage was a big factor our guys just wasnt ready to play. Our crowd was huge and jsut as loud as Russell. Also Maynard was held in check but you have to give it to the kid he played so gutsy. He was hurt before the game even started, he even missed a practice or 2 this week and he still gave it his all and played as hard as possible. These two teams are pretty closely matched and they both just made alot of mistakes tongiht. But give credit to both defenses because they forced alot of those mistakes for both teams. Good luck in state.

I dont really think the homefrield advantage was a big factor our guys just wasnt ready to play. Our crowd was huge and jsut as loud as Russell. Also Maynard was held in check but you have to give it to the kid he played so gutsy. He was hurt before the game even started, he even missed a practice or 2 this week and he still gave it his all and played as hard as possible. These two teams are pretty closely matched and they both just made alot of mistakes tongiht. But give credit to both defenses because they forced alot of those mistakes for both teams. Good luck in state.

Any time you don't have to travel 2 1/2 hours it is an advantage.

That is correct.. 2 1/2 trip is a disadvantage.

But I do like the phrase who wanted it more.

Because you see how Russell came out hungry. Did you see the determination

they had to make it to the state championship. I think these teams were

evenly matched. Its been a long time coming for Russell, and I think they

were more hungry for it, along with revenge. All those underclassmen on last

years teams remember what it felt like walking off the field at Vipperman last

year, just one win away from thier dreams. And watching Belfry celebrate. And it showed. Russell came out with fire. Now the situation has changed. All those freshman, sophomores, and juniors off of this years Pirate team will remember how it felt last night, watching Russell celebrate right in front of them. Now they can use that as a tool, of motivation next year, to get back on top.

To me it is an insult to both teams to say a team won because "they wanted it more". It is an insult to the victors, implying they were not the better team. And it is an insult to the losing team, implying they didn't really care. I don't believe either was the case last night.

Homefield advantage is not just about the size of your crowd. It goes much deeper than that. It is about being in your Hometown all day on game day and seeing, hearing, and literally feeling the support all day. It is about eating what and when you want all day. It is about using your own bathroom. It is about driving 5 minutes to the field and dressing in your on locker room. It is about drawing on the tradition of past players, some of them good friends and some of them idols. It is about your walk down a familiar path steeped in tradition on your way to a field where you know every blade of grass. It is about your PA announcer shouting "here come the Devils". It is about the added confidence your home stadium gives you.............. I could go on and on. I truly believe we adults are kidding ourselves if we do not think this is a factor. This is human nature. The KHSAA asks football teams to overcome this every year. I strongly feel that homefield advantage should be taken out of the equation after the region final.

Homefield advantage is not just about the size of your crowd. It goes much deeper than that. It is about being in your Hometown all day on game day and seeing, hearing, and literally feeling the support all day. It is about eating what and when you want all day. It is about using your own bathroom. It is about driving 5 minutes to the field and dressing in your on locker room. It is about drawing on the tradition of past players, some of them good friends and some of them idols. It is about your walk down a familiar path steeped in tradition on your way to a field where you know every blade of grass. It is about your PA announcer shouting "here come the Devils". It is about the added confidence your home stadium gives you.............. I could go on and on. I truly believe we adults are kidding ourselves if we do not think this is a factor. This is human nature. The KHSAA asks football teams to overcome this every year. I strongly feel that homefield advantage should be taken out of the equation after the region final.

I would agree. Home field advantage is hugh. I would like to see them do it like they do in Ohio. One home game and the rest are on the road.

If If and buts were candy and nut what a merry christmas it would be.....

Belfry got most of the breaks in this game and were lucky to be close.

But its true the game is over... Russell we are rooting for you all the way we need you to keep that beauty of a trophy in the moutains of east ky.. GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fire:

IMHO,

I don't think Russell is a better team. I think these teams are extremely closely

matched. Its been forever ago since Russell had been to the State Championship game. They had been so close, so many times. It was at a

boiling point. They were as hungry as Belfry was back in 03'. When someone

is that determined to not be stopped, they'll be hard to bring down. That

along with being home, propelled the Russell team to the win. If the situation

was reversed, and Belfry had been so close so many times, and hadn't been

in a long time, I would say they would have won at home. What I would have

liked to seen, is last nights game played at Belfry. IMO, it would have been

an even better game.