Russell 20 Belfry 14

Argus

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home field advantage is so key between these teams.

I believe if last years game would have been at Russell, then Russell most

likely would have won.

I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. Home field advantage as explained by IDOC is hugh. I could not agree more. I do feel Russell would have won last year had the game been at Russell. Please don't be upset Belfry beat Russell no doubt. But home field is where it's at. No questions. Belfry would have won had the game been in Belfry this year IMO. These two teams are very evenly matched.

It's Russell's turn to go for the big prize this time. Thanks to all the Belfry fans for supporting Russell in Louisville.

Home field advantage is so key between these teams.

I believe if last years game would have been at Russell, then Russell most

likely would have won.

Not a chance, too much Howard & Jones.

The better team won both times, and where the game was played was a moot point because of each winning team had the better personnel from top-to-bottom.

Belfry had the superior team last year, and to hear my Belfry friends say it Belfry was lucky the game this year wasn't over at halftime.

Not a chance, too much Howard & Jones.

The better team won both times, and where the game was played was a moot point because of each winning team had the better personnel from top-to-bottom.

Belfry had the superior team last year, and to hear my Belfry friends say it Belfry was lucky the game this year wasn't over at halftime.

I do agree with what you are saying! However, I feel as if the two teams this year were closer matched than last year!

I feel as if a lot of fans from both sides are way off on this thread! This was a great game that we as fans were very lucky to witness. Both teams, fans and coaches know this game could have went any way! This was nothing but a great game! Russell has a great team and made the play when needed to close it out! The int from Belfry was due to the fact the pass was a little late and gave the defender a chacne to close on the ball! I agree that Belfry was very lucky not to be down 35-0 at the half! 35 not 34 because the Russell two point try failed. I do think that was a very poor call on the Russell staff that could have changed their entire season! I also think that Belfry had a chance to score two more TD's in the second half but failed to do so! I think Haywood went to the pass alittle to much at the end with 2 time outs! I am only a fan not a coach and those are decisions for others to make! I wasn't down when I left that game! It was a great game with two teams leaving it all on the field! That was all as fans that we asked for all week, and we got it! I cannot let this game get me as a fan due to the fact that Belfry has made me very proud and happy to be a Belfry Pirate the last three years! Russell is the only 2A team to beat Belfry in three years! That says a lot about Belfry and Russell! Good lucky Russell next week you have EARNED the respect and right to fight for Eastern KY next week for the 2A title! I support you 100% and want to see this title back in Eastern KY!

You have great fans, players, and coaches at Russell! Show this to all of Kentucky next week!

GO RUSSELL! :devil: :fight: :devil:

:thumb: Thanks Hopefully the Big Trophy stays in the East. And I do believe to win it ALL you have to have some luck somewhere down the line. Luckily Russell has come up with some plays to get to the Title game. I'll give both teams credit for a great game, and Russell just simply made a few more big plays that helped their chances to advance. Anyway it was an awesome game to sit well in my case STAND and watch ;)

I do agree with what you are saying! However, I feel as if the two teams this year were closer matched than last year!

Of course you do because you won last year & lost this year...I do feel that Belfry was the better team last year but I'm not so sure the difference is as much as you all like to think...Belfry took advantage of Russell mistakes and pulled away late but at no point in that game was there the obvious thought that Russell was lucky not to be down 35-0...We know what happened with the Russell fumbles and the swing in score that it produced right before the half in last year's game...Give Belfry credit last year for taking full advantage of what they were given...They were better at that than Russell was last night...Because Russell did not capitalize on their opportunities like Belfry did last year, it caused the game to be much closer & far less in doubt than it should have been...Again, that goes back to the heart & fight in your team...Congratulations...I truly believe the better team won in both cases...

Yeah but the same mistakes Rusell made last year Belfry made this year. These two teams have been pretty closely matched both years. One thing Russell needs to improve on quick is pass defense. Belfry had alot of sucess passing with only sending one guy out. I look for OCath to look at the film and try to ari it out. YOu guys have some decent speed back there though so hoepfully you will be able to defend it better.

BTW, I just wanted to post to say, great job Coach Haywood! You shaped those young men into a championship caliber team when most didn't think the roster would allow it. As for the playcalling, its too easy to second guess after you see the play unfold.

Someone got the Red ready to play that second half when they could have laid down. Hats off to the Pirates staff. Now, get ready to take back what is ours!

Yeah but the same mistakes Rusell made last year Belfry made this year. These two teams have been pretty closely matched both years. One thing Russell needs to improve on quick is pass defense. Belfry had alot of sucess passing with only sending one guy out. I look for OCath to look at the film and try to ari it out. YOu guys have some decent speed back there though so hoepfully you will be able to defend it better.

I will say the whole defensive package will be completely different for O Cath. I doubt the Devils were real concerned with Belfry's passing thus the single coverage.

Don't condone anything that was said by the players that was "unpolite", but you don't set your tunnel up in the middle of the home team's field like that. I can't imagine that happening last year at Vipperman.

This type of behavior doesn't supprise me after Belfry coming to Shelby Valley and warming up on the fields while senior night was going on and the parents of the soccer, football, track, cross country and Volleyball team were on the field. I told you that type of no class actions would catch up to you all! :sssh:

That night at Shelby Valley was the first time I have ever heard of a team trying to not let the visiting team warm up on the playing field for pregame. Ever.

Shelby Valley has been the opponent for Belfry's senior night more than once. You should look at the film to see whether they warmed up on the field while Belfry introduced their seniors.

As far as the tunnel situation at Russell, it was an error by the Belfry cheerleaders setting up the tunnel in the wrong place and it was quickly corrected without incident. We've covered it in this thread early on.

This type of behavior doesn't supprise me after Belfry coming to Shelby Valley and warming up on the fields while senior night was going on and the parents of the soccer, football, track, cross country and Volleyball team were on the field. I told you that type of no class actions would catch up to you all! :sssh:

Even Russell fans said it was a mistake and Belfry moved as soon as they realised what happened and the coach asked them to. Nobody from Russell will question Belfrys class I guarantee it. Also once again Belfry wasnt going to no softball field Coach Haywood warms up for his own senior night during the festivities so why would he do different for Valley? But that isnt the subject of the thread.

To the one who said Rusell will change the defensive packagaes for the state game. I sure hope so because I want to see you guys bring that tile back!

Even Russell fans said it was a mistake and Belfry moved as soon as they realised what happened and the coach asked them to. Nobody from Russell will question Belfrys class I guarantee it. Also once again Belfry wasnt going to no softball field Coach Haywood warms up for his own senior night during the festivities so why would he do different for Valley? But that isnt the subject of the thread.

To the one who said Rusell will change the defensive packagaes for the state game. I sure hope so because I want to see you guys bring that tile back!

Anyone who would say that Belfry has no clase probable has an ax to grind. There are very few head coaches in football that have accomplished what Coach Haywood has. McGlone and Haywood are class acts and thier players feed off of thier actions.

It will be a different defensive package next week. Obviously the coaching staff was concerned with Belfry's running game. It was a good adjustment by the Belfry staff to get Chapman 1 on 1 and let him use his size to make the play. Lets face it, when was the last time Belfry was forced to throw the ball 11 time in a game?

Russell has faced spread offenses before and faired well against them. The athleticism of Russell's defense, especially in the secondary, allows coach Morris to do alot of different things on that side of the ball.