Teams in state playoffs with 3 wins or less?

TheLastDon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulton County is 1-8 and got in the playoffs by beating a winless Fulton City team.

But that's better than automatically qualifying from a 4-team district, which the only rule for making the postseason is "continue to field a team". Class 1A District 1, with five teams, says that you MUST win at least 1 game to make the playoffs. Fulton County did that.

I believe every team deserves a shot at the playoffs, but we know tht is not realsitic haha but whether your team won 1, 2, 3 games, etc, if you won enough games to earn a playoff spot then i say congrats, ive seen teams go like 3-7 or 4-6 and end 8-7 or 9-6, some teams have the ability to turn it around and basicly start a new season, given that is not every team, but im all for giving every kid a shot to extend their high school career and play one more game, because that one more game means much more to a player then a fan can realize, so sure it might water it down but its giving more to the kids and im all for it

Then why play a regular season? just start with everybody in the brackets in every class and play a round a week....(JK).. However, if the kids didnt deserve it (by having a winning or atleast .500 record) then why are we rewarding them? I thought we were supposed to prepare these young men for the future not only in sports but in life as well.. This teaches them they can be sub-par and still be rewarded.. Not how it works in college or life.. If I were sub-par at my job in sales, I would have been let go a loooong time ago... Same thing in collegiate sports, like a poster said previously you have to atleast win 6 games to be bowl eligible.. KHSAA needs to rethink their playoff brackets and instead of having these non-existent first round games, install more byes for the top teams in districts and make it top three of district get in instead of four.. Then you would atleast have to win a district game to get in...

If I counted correctly that is 42 teams out of 192 that make the playoffs. Better to know would be number of teams with losing records that make the playoffs. Could that approach 50%?

I still don't see how overall record matters, other than apparently something to talk about. You miss or make the playoffs based on district record. As others have stated, some schools have to schedule up in class which results in poor records, even though they might be among the favorites in the class.

That number sub .500 records in playoffs would be probably above 50% if I recall correctly when I was looking at this.. a lot of 4-6 teams are in.. some have good district records, some don't... brackets are available through KHSAA website..

Here they are:

1A:

Fulton Co. (1-8)

Gallatin (2-8)

Bracken (2-8)

Berea (2-8)

Lynn Camp (3-7)

Jenkins (0-10) *

Paintsville (3-7)

2A:

Fort Knox (3-7) *

Metcalfe Co. (1-9) *

Bardstown (3-7)

Lloyd (2-8) *

Owen (3-7) *

Knott Co. Central (0-10) *

Bath (2-8) *

Shelby Valley (3-7)

Leslie Co. (3-7)

3A:

Butler Co. (2-8)

Webster Co. (3-7)

McClean Co. (0-10) *

Spencer Co. (0-10) *

Moore (3-7)

Shawnee (2-7) *

E-town (3-7)

Western Hills (3-7)

Fleming Co. (2-8)

4A:

Warren East (2-8)

Calloway Co. (2-8) *

Hopkins Co. Central (3-7)

Breckinridge (2-8)

Boyd (1-9)

Madison Sou. (1-9)

5A:

Barren Co. (2-8) *

Ohio Co. (2-8)

Waggener (1-9)

Woodford Co. (1-9) *

Scott (2-8) *

Mercer Co. (3-7)

6A:

Fern Creek (3-7)

Apollo (2-8)

Southern (2-8) *

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1-9) *

Bryan Station (1-9)

Madison Central (1-9) *

Winless in District has * by record....

Personally, I think having teams like this in the playoffs waters down the playoffs. How can you be 1-9 and go to the playoffs. I am not sure how to make it better but I think it is an uneccessry amount of games to play when you have some who clearly do not need to be there.

I think the KHSAA should reduce the classes to 5 with only the top 2 in each district getting the guaranteed berths and then have 8 wildcards with the #1 seeds in each district getting a 1st round bye. You would think by narrowing the classes to 5, there would be at least 5 teams in every district of every class, so, you'd have to at least finish in the middle to upper 1/2 of your district to qualify for postseason play. It would also eliminate the majority of lopsided 1st round games and make for some great 1st round matchups, who, would have earned the shot at a #1 seed in the 2nd round.

Enrollment controls the class system, best way to do it... Atleast probably the most fair way.. Unless you form some type of GCL'ish conference for parochial, independent, or private schools... Which will still have its critics.. KHSAA doesnt make any money on games until the State championship as schools host the games up until that point.. So money can't be a motivating factor for allowing this many bad teams into the playoffs.. It's simply the whininess of some school boards that the same teams win every year and the little guy never gets a shot.. BOO-HOO.. Win and your in, simple as that.. Anybody can build a competitive football team if they try hard enough and bring in good people..