Teams in state playoffs with 3 wins or less?

TheLastDon

I was using the imagery of a trophy to prove my point, yet you kind of did it in your own post.. These teams may not have gotten a trophy for going and getting spanked, but they did get rewarded by making money that they shouldn't have.. I know, I know you are going to say something about that comment not being fair and what about the kids and the program and blah blah blah.. But in the end we are ultimately rewarding in some way, shape or form these teams for losing and not being competitive. IMO each school is solely responsible for it's athletic survival, not the KHSAA by putting them in the playoffs to make some extra cash.. Go out and raise money if you need things, have the players volunteer somewhere and have the company or whatever pay the athletic program.. Have a lift-a-thon, so many ways to increase cash and I would be embarrassed if I were a team who went to the playoffs with 0,1,2 even maybe 3 wins just to make some extra money and have my players/team get obliterated.. Talk about exploitation.... Interesting to see as well if these 3 win teams that made it through the first round advance any farther...

Most teams don't make money once you split a normally weak gate and often pay for a distanced travel expense.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard not too long ago that Fulton City's first-round trip to Louisville Holy Cross (a 250-mile trip) cost the school something like $2,200 ... it's hard to see how they managed to break even on that.

Fulton City, which had won two games all season and got in the postseason by beating winless Fulton County, lost 62-0 ... it's hard to see any benefit coming out of a game like that.

I actually think its a joke. Many times you are asking these teams to be sacraficial lambs to take out to slaughter in the first round. What if you were the number seed and lost a kid playing a team that was 1-9 and then go into the second or third round playing good teams without your best player. I know that injuries happen all the time and can happen in any game, but I'd hate to lose a kid this way.

I actually think its a joke. Many times you are asking these teams to be sacraficial lambs to take out to slaughter in the first round. What if you were the number seed and lost a kid playing a team that was 1-9 and then go into the second or third round playing good teams without your best player. I know that injuries happen all the time and can happen in any game, but I'd hate to lose a kid this way.
It's happened before ...

I was using the imagery of a trophy to prove my point, yet you kind of did it in your own post.. These teams may not have gotten a trophy for going and getting spanked, but they did get rewarded by making money that they shouldn't have.. I know, I know you are going to say something about that comment not being fair and what about the kids and the program and blah blah blah.. But in the end we are ultimately rewarding in some way, shape or form these teams for losing and not being competitive. IMO each school is solely responsible for it's athletic survival, not the KHSAA by putting them in the playoffs to make some extra cash.. Go out and raise money if you need things, have the players volunteer somewhere and have the company or whatever pay the athletic program.. Have a lift-a-thon, so many ways to increase cash and I would be embarrassed if I were a team who went to the playoffs with 0,1,2 even maybe 3 wins just to make some extra money and have my players/team get obliterated.. Talk about exploitation.... Interesting to see as well if these 3 win teams that made it through the first round advance any farther...
Are you in the basketball forum with this same argument?

Not a hs bball kinda guy, appreciate the effort the kids give in playing it just not my cup of tea.. however disttict tourneys in hs bball are much closer I would think than two opposite districts playing in hs football.. and somebody posted in the first page that I was saying all losing teams don't have good people in charge.. not "good" as in like nice and law abiding, etc but football wise "good".. and yes most bad teams have sub-par coaching doubled with sub-par talent overall.. not their fault, but really hard to get coaching talent into those programs, and for good reason...

I guess I'm missing something. Isn't sports suppose to be for our students and fans. I don't believe if you polled the seniors of these so called "deserving" teams. They would vote to give up a couple of games just because they were against a weak team. As well, those seniors for the weaker teams. I'm sure have given their all as well, knowing they are going to have their hats handed to them. What lesson does it really teach a junior or senior in high school that they haven't already learned just by getting to that point. I don't think everyone deserves a ribbon, and everyone doesn't get one. I don't think much pride is gained by a 50 point loss in the first round of the playoffs and as well should give creed to the need to improve as much as sitting home does. They're kids let'em play. Making the high school playoffs or not making the playoffs doesn't make them the person they are or who the will become. It's a team sport, life lessons from a team sport should be learned by now. Not just by making the playoffs this year.

I guess I'm missing something. Isn't sports suppose to be for our students and fans. I don't believe if you polled the seniors of these so called "deserving" teams. They would vote to give up a couple of games just because they were against a weak team. As well, those seniors for the weaker teams. I'm sure have given their all as well, knowing they are going to have their hats handed to them. What lesson does it really teach a junior or senior in high school that they haven't already learned just by getting to that point. I don't think everyone deserves a ribbon, and everyone doesn't get one. I don't think much pride is gained by a 50 point loss in the first round of the playoffs and as well should give creed to the need to improve as much as sitting home does. They're kids let'em play. Making the high school playoffs or not making the playoffs doesn't make them the person they are or who the will become. It's a team sport, life lessons from a team sport should be learned by now. Not just by making the playoffs this year.

If these teams know they are going to get handled and EMBARRASSED, I think you would come to find in your "poll" of these student-athletes that they would prefer not to play that game in particular. SITTING HOME should be enough creed for the need to improve.. How do you think all of the college teams that dont become bowl eligible feel when they are sitting at home watching all of the games over the holidays?? They get mad and try to get better next year, they don't have thier own bowl games between the BCS games and play the schools playing in the BCS games.. That is essentially what you are seeing predominately in the first round.. Like Oregon vs. Portland State 2 weeks before BCS championship game... would never happen...

If these teams know they are going to get handled and EMBARRASSED, I think you would come to find in your "poll" of these student-athletes that they would prefer not to play that game in particular. SITTING HOME should be enough creed for the need to improve.. How do you think all of the college teams that dont become bowl eligible feel when they are sitting at home watching all of the games over the holidays?? They get mad and try to get better next year, they don't have thier own bowl games between the BCS games and play the schools playing in the BCS games.. That is essentially what you are seeing predominately in the first round.. Like Oregon vs. Portland State 2 weeks before BCS championship game... would never happen...

I think your talking apples and oranges, high school and college. Why don't we just put in a committee to vote on the two best teams in each class and do away with the playoffs altogether. Do you not think that teams in the playoffs have an advantage over teams not playing. If you go just 1 round. That's another week of practice and another game of experience. Second round the same thing over and again until the championship game. So if your in the championship game you have what, six more weeks of practice,and five more games to get better and perfect you your game. Huge advantage.

Come on it's high school, why does it have to over managed. After high school most will never play again. Let them play. The best teams will prevail.

:thumb: Since they went to 6 six classes, there are more student athletes participating than ever before. That is huge.

Yeah, don't take into account that there are more schools and more schools offer girls soccer, girls fastpitch softball now. That is a very misleading statistic. Are there more student athletes playing football? That is the key question.

Yeah, don't take into account that there are more schools and more schools offer girls soccer, girls fastpitch softball now. That is a very misleading statistic. Are there more student athletes playing football? That is the key question.

Yes, according to KHSAA.

Again wasn't comparing high school and college, was merely using a reference point so you could see what the first round of the playoffs is like. And of course the number of football players has increased, the number of teams has increased. Still doesn't mean we should let them into the playoffs just because they field a team and are high schoolers who may not get to play again. If they work hard enough, there are PLENTY of avenues for them to keep in the sport. Plus I heard on the radio last night that there are more small school programs now than there ever has been (NAIA, DIVII, DIVIII) This is the problem with our youth of today, not enough management. They get what they want without having to work for it, I see it on a daily basis.. It's time to stop treating these young men like kids. Not saying I am that old, but when I was a young man in hs I didnt get to go to the playoffs until my Senior year and it was because we didn't finish in the top four of a haaaaard district (Lou Trinity, Ballard, Oldham, So. Oldham, Shelby Co, Lou. Eastern, Fern Creek).. You had to win 3 games in your district! In the offseason between Jr. and Sr. our players made the decision we wanted to go to the playoffs and we worked our behinds off and accomplished our goal.. Nobody PUT us in the playoffs, we MADE the playoffs.. Thats what KY HS football needs again... Teams making the playoffs not just getting to go...

Plus I heard on the radio last night that there are more small school programs now than there ever has been (NAIA, DIVII, DIVIII) This is the problem with our youth of today, not enough management. They get what they want without having to work for it, I see it on a daily basis..

All of the college teams combined, D1, DII, DIII, NAIA, all of them, are fielding just a fraction of the high players. So as I said, for most of these seniors. No matter how hard some players work they will not play at the next level. There are only X number of spots to be filled. It will be their last time on the gridiron.

My Grandfather said it about my Father's generation, my Father said it about my generation, some say it about my children and their generation. All have been given too much, and don't know what it is to work for what you want. Who knew that a solution to this problem was as simple as cutting the first round in Kentucky High School Football Playoffs.