Teams in state playoffs with 3 wins or less?

TheLastDon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you finished 3-7, but all three of your wins were in district? You can win many districts by going 3-0. I've never thought total wins was a completely fair way to judge whether a team is good or not. Louisville Central is 4-6, yet might be the favorite to win 3A. And they would be among the favorites in a 4-class system as well.

You should have to earn a spot in the playoffs as in the old 4-class days. 2 teams per district to make the playoffs would increase the importance of the regular season district games and allow the season to end in November so multi-sport athletes can move on to wrestling, basketball, etc.

You should have to earn a spot in the playoffs as in the old 4-class days. 2 teams per district to make the playoffs would increase the importance of the regular season district games and allow the season to end in November so multi-sport athletes can move on to wrestling, basketball, etc.

The old 4 class wasn't great either. Sometimes winless teams would make the playoffs. We really need 3 classes, but that ain't gonna happen. Everybody wants to say they made the playoffs....

The old 4 class wasn't great either. Sometimes winless teams would make the playoffs. We really need 3 classes, but that ain't gonna happen. Everybody wants to say they made the playoffs....

Good point. Regardless of the number of classes, I believe you should have to earn a spot in the playoffs. 2 teams per district in the playoffs would solve that issue of earning a spot in the post season.

Here they are:

1A:

Fulton Co. (1-8)

Gallatin (2-8)

Bracken (2-8)

Berea (2-8)

Lynn Camp (3-7)

Jenkins (0-10) *

Paintsville (3-7)

2A:

Fort Knox (3-7) *

Metcalfe Co. (1-9) *

Bardstown (3-7)

Lloyd (2-8) *

Owen (3-7) *

Knott Co. Central (0-10) *

Bath (2-8) *

Shelby Valley (3-7)

Leslie Co. (3-7)

3A:

Butler Co. (2-8)

Webster Co. (3-7)

McClean Co. (0-10) *

Spencer Co. (0-10) *

Moore (3-7)

Shawnee (2-7) *

E-town (3-7)

Western Hills (3-7)

Fleming Co. (2-8)

4A:

Warren East (2-8)

Calloway Co. (2-8) *

Hopkins Co. Central (3-7)

Breckinridge (2-8)

Boyd (1-9)

Madison Sou. (1-9)

5A:

Barren Co. (2-8) *

Ohio Co. (2-8)

Waggener (1-9)

Woodford Co. (1-9) *

Scott (2-8) *

Mercer Co. (3-7)

6A:

Fern Creek (3-7)

Apollo (2-8)

Southern (2-8) *

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1-9) *

Bryan Station (1-9)

Madison Central (1-9) *

Winless in District has * by record....

Depends on how the system was run and which "old 4 Class system" you refer to.

*Sub-District system had some losing teams in the early to mid 80's. I remember Boyle went 3-7 one year but won their sub-district. Played Somerset (#1 ranked that season in AA) and were ahead 10-7 going into the 4th Quarter but a turnover or two and the wheels came off, 38-10.

*Really old system of 4 Classes had 1 District Winner and that was it. If there was a tie you went to the "Dickinson Point System" and that winner went to the playoffs. This left some really good teams at home with great records. (I think Highlands had a 9-1 squad left home once. Boyle was 9-1 in '79 & despite wins over an AA semi-finalist, AAA District winner among others they stayed home. Somerset was the best AA team IMO in '82 but at 10-1 they stayed home with a 1 point loss to Boyle. Henry Clay had a VERY GOOD 10-1 team left home in '78)

So there are good and bad points to any system. Maybe the 2 District Rep system was the best. Of course it would leave out the Bourbon County Cinderalla run of '97. (But I don't think Boyle, Lex Cath or Lawrence County or Owensboro Cath would have minded that thought. :lol:)

Seems like 2A and 3A have thpe most.. wonder why? Do those teams have a harder time scheduling non district opponents? Therefore resort to playing bigger schools?

A lot of it has to do with playing up in class. I know E'town plays up in class several games throughout the year every year.

Seems like 2A and 3A have thpe most.. wonder why? Do those teams have a harder time scheduling non district opponents? Therefore resort to playing bigger schools?

That's been the case with Bardstown, which could fairly be called a traditional small-school power. Since splitting to six classes, only five of the Tigers' 28 non-district games have been against 2A or 1A competition, with four being against hometown rival Bethlehem. Eleven of those 28 games are against 6A and 5A teams.

Not surprisingly, the Bardstown program has had trouble finding wins since the split in class forced the program to have to search out more non-district games. The change next season adding two more guaranteed games to the Bardstown via realignment is a welcome one for Tiger folks.

I know its only one of the many teams you named, but watch out for E-town. They could very well be the Tilghman of last year. Only 3-7, but they have playedd as tough a schedule as a school their size could play. Offensively they are as explosive as anybody you will see. They took Central too the wire, as well as 8-2 Central Hardin(6A). Three other losses came to the hands of Collins(9-1 4A district champ), Glasgow(2A district champ) and North Hardin(6A); along with DeSales('09 AA runners up) and LaRue County.

Case in point, this is a team thay had they played a lot of schedules across the state that are filled with cupcakes could very easily be 9-1 and dare I say 10-0?

Always found this to be interesting since the move to 6 class system. How many do we have this year, if any? Do these teams deserve to be in or is it watering down the playoff competition? Post your thoughts....

I believe every team deserves a shot at the playoffs, but we know tht is not realsitic haha but whether your team won 1, 2, 3 games, etc, if you won enough games to earn a playoff spot then i say congrats, ive seen teams go like 3-7 or 4-6 and end 8-7 or 9-6, some teams have the ability to turn it around and basicly start a new season, given that is not every team, but im all for giving every kid a shot to extend their high school career and play one more game, because that one more game means much more to a player then a fan can realize, so sure it might water it down but its giving more to the kids and im all for it