Teams in state playoffs with 3 wins or less?

TheLastDon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that most winless teams would rather stay home too, but truth is it helps the growth of football in our state, and its another football game. So I do not see any real harm for these poor teams getting a game.

As I see it, any Friday night with a football game is better than any Friday night without a football game. :thumb:

Enrollment controls the class system, best way to do it... Atleast probably the most fair way.. Unless you form some type of GCL'ish conference for parochial, independent, or private schools... Which will still have its critics.. KHSAA doesnt make any money on games until the State championship as schools host the games up until that point.. So money can't be a motivating factor for allowing this many bad teams into the playoffs.. It's simply the whininess of some school boards that the same teams win every year and the little guy never gets a shot.. BOO-HOO.. Win and your in, simple as that.. Anybody can build a competitive football team if they try hard enough and bring in good people..

It's that easy, huh?

Last nights games only prove my point that these teams have no business in the playoffs... didn't fully look through the list to see if any of the aforementioned teams actually won, but I bet its less than 5 out of 42..
3-7 Fort Knox went on the road and beat a ranked team in Glasgow. This doesn't help the argument.

1A:

Fulton Co. (1-8) - Lost 71-12

Gallatin (2-8) - Lost 55-0

Bracken (2-8) - Lost 46-0

Berea (2-8) - Lost 50-20

Lynn Camp (3-7) - Lost 42-0

Jenkins (0-10) * - Lost 55-0

Paintsville (3-7) - Lost 46-6

Average Margin - 52-5

Record - 0-7

2A:

Fort Knox (3-7) * - WON 30-28

Metcalfe Co. (1-9) * - Lost 49-0

Bardstown (3-7) - Lost 67-42

Lloyd (2-8) * - Lost 51-6

Owen (3-7) * - Lost 70-20

Knott Co. Central (0-10) * - Lost 66-0

Bath (2-8) * - Lost 55-8

Shelby Valley (3-7) - Lost 24-28

Leslie Co. (3-7) - WON 28-24

Average Margin - 52-16

Record 2-7

3A:

Butler Co. (2-8) - Lost 45-9

Webster Co. (3-7) - Lost 21-0

McClean Co. (0-10) * - Lost 47-6

Spencer Co. (0-10) * - Lost 38-10

Moore (3-7) - WON 20-14

Shawnee (2-7) * - Lost 2-0

E-town (3-7) - WON 8-3

Western Hills (3-7) - Lost 8-3

Fleming Co. (2-8) - Lost 47-20

Average Margin - 28-8

Record - 2-7

4A:

Warren East (2-8) - Lost 43-7

Calloway Co. (2-8) * - Lost 69-35

Hopkins Co. Central (3-7) - Lost 27-6

Breckinridge (2-8) - Lost 56-6

Boyd (1-9) - Lost 52-0

Madison Sou. (1-9) - Lost 53-21

Average Margin - 50-13

Record - 0-6

5A:

Barren Co. (2-8) * - Lost 54-0

Ohio Co. (2-8) - Lost 52-0

Waggener (1-9) - Lost 44-0

Woodford Co. (1-9) * - Lost 70-8

Scott (2-8) * - Lost 47-13

Mercer Co. (3-7) - Lost 50-13

Average Margin - 53-6

Record - 0-6

6A:

Fern Creek (3-7) - WON 35-6

Apollo (2-8) - Lost 52-0

Southern (2-8) * - Lost 44-13

Paul Laurence Dunbar (1-9) * - Lost 41-16

Bryan Station (1-9) - Lost 41-21

Madison Central (1-9) * - Lost 54-13

Average Margin - 45-12

Record - 1-5

This says a lot about 2a having to play up to fill schedules and not having the great records that people want to see in the playoffs. Records are just records, ACS is 10-0 with a first round bye, but I do not see them getting to BG again this year! What does this say about records. Monroe was a three seed and will more than likely see another region game...hard to justify not letting these kids play!!!!

So I was correct, 5 out of 42.. for a grand total of a 12.5% chance of winning a game... so maybe we allow teams with three wins in considering those were the only ones who won... and tsyoung your talking complete hypotheticals, these results posted before your comment are proof for this argument to not allow these teams in.. come on put on big boy pants and stop treating high school like pee-wee football where everybody gets a trophy...

So I was correct, 5 out of 42.. for a grand total of a 12.5% chance of winning a game... so maybe we allow teams with three wins in considering those were the only ones who won... and tsyoung your talking complete hypotheticals, these results posted before your comment are proof for this argument to not allow these teams in.. come on put on big boy pants and stop treating high school like pee-wee football where everybody gets a trophy...

I'm not sure what you mean by everyone getting a trophy. What trophy did Fulton County get by driving five hours to get spanked by Holy Cross? None.

Do you know what they got? Some money for their athletic program. Let's face it, most schools rely on the football gate to not only fund football but other sports at their schools. An extra week of playoff games is an extra week to put money in the coffers of schools. And who doesn't need a little extra dough for sports?

I see the argument both ways. From a competition standpoint, very few four seeds beat a #1 and the scores are usually lopsided.

From an athletic survival standpoint, if the first round playoff game has 1500 fans there at $5 a pop, that's $7,500 to split before expenses. Just for getting thumped.

I'd rather four teams get in right now and assure that no good team gets left behind rather than a good team from a loaded district get left behind because only two teams advance.

Sad to see so many losing teams as far as records go in the playoffs.

That is sad isn't it? It is also sad to see basketball teams with losing records playing district basketball games. Baseball teams with losing records have no business in the playoffs. This is just a travesty. I say we eliminate the district basketball tournaments completely and have regional tournaments with winning teams only. :rolleyes:

That is sad isn't it? It is also sad to see basketball teams with losing records playing district basketball games. Baseball teams with losing records have no business in the playoffs. This is just a travesty. I say we eliminate the district basketball tournaments completely and have regional tournaments with winning teams only. :rolleyes:

As if there aren't enough teams out there already packing their schedules with weak teams so they can roll up wins. Your scenario would create several unintended nightmares, the biggest being the one I mentioned as teams burn up the phone lines at places like Atherton and Shawnee and Caverna to line up wins.

Wait, were you being sarcastic? I hope so.

I'm not sure what you mean by everyone getting a trophy. What trophy did Fulton County get by driving five hours to get spanked by Holy Cross? None.

Do you know what they got? Some money for their athletic program. Let's face it, most schools rely on the football gate to not only fund football but other sports at their schools. An extra week of playoff games is an extra week to put money in the coffers of schools. And who doesn't need a little extra dough for sports?

I see the argument both ways. From a competition standpoint, very few four seeds beat a #1 and the scores are usually lopsided.

From an athletic survival standpoint, if the first round playoff game has 1500 fans there at $5 a pop, that's $7,500 to split before expenses. Just for getting thumped.

I'd rather four teams get in right now and assure that no good team gets left behind rather than a good team from a loaded district get left behind because only two teams advance.

I was using the imagery of a trophy to prove my point, yet you kind of did it in your own post.. These teams may not have gotten a trophy for going and getting spanked, but they did get rewarded by making money that they shouldn't have.. I know, I know you are going to say something about that comment not being fair and what about the kids and the program and blah blah blah.. But in the end we are ultimately rewarding in some way, shape or form these teams for losing and not being competitive. IMO each school is solely responsible for it's athletic survival, not the KHSAA by putting them in the playoffs to make some extra cash.. Go out and raise money if you need things, have the players volunteer somewhere and have the company or whatever pay the athletic program.. Have a lift-a-thon, so many ways to increase cash and I would be embarrassed if I were a team who went to the playoffs with 0,1,2 even maybe 3 wins just to make some extra money and have my players/team get obliterated.. Talk about exploitation.... Interesting to see as well if these 3 win teams that made it through the first round advance any farther...