6 Class Breakdown (Draft Only)

theguru

What makes this such a "horrible idea" other than there is a group that just do not like it. There has been alot of thought go into this by people that this is their profession. Have they got something against helping kids?

They say 6 classes is too many, maybe we should just have 1 class and let X and Trinity have them all.

Kentucky has too small of a population to require six football classes. Generally, the only reason for a state to increase the number of classes is to level the playing field and allow the playoffs to be completed in a reasonable period of time. Going to six classes would do nothing the loosen the stanglehold on the 4A title that Trinity and St. X enjoy and it would necessarily increase the travel expenses for many rural schools.

Indiana has five classes. Ohio has six. If Kentucky increases its number of classes to six or more, it will just be a weak football state with a lot of classes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should stay with the 4 teams going to the playoffs. If they dont they will be taking one step forward and two steps back. People have been talking about how many blow outs there is in the first round. There was blow outs this week in the second round (Henry Clay and South Laurel) I can remember in 1997 when Bourbon Co. won the state championship from the Third spot and they played four seed Lex Cath. in the regional finals. The next year Bourbon was a four seed when they went to Corbin and beat them rather handly.

What these coaches are doing is trying to improve the overall status of football in the state of Kentucky. That would cut down on blowouts in the regular season, which would help the haves and the have nots.

Example: Bourbon has to play in a disrtict that has 8 teams in it. They have to play Lex Cath, Harrison, Franklin who are all real good and get beat by 70,80, and sometimes 90. Then they have East Jessamine, West Jessamine, Western Hills, who are pretty good and they get beat by 50 by these teams. Then they have to play Paris. So, that gives them 2 games that they can go out and get that they can be competive with, (now Bourbon chose not to do that the last time the contracts were up?) But in this system they would still have the opportunity. If they can win a game or at least be competive maybe they get more kids to get involued. This is why we are here as Educators/coaches is to help as many kids as we can.

These regular season blowouts hurt Lex Cath too because there 1st team only gets to play a few plays well maybe Lex Cath would not be a good example of this, Danville starters only get to play a half in these blows which hurts them in the playoffs.

These teams that make the playoffs and go far every year get to practice 4/5 weeks longer every year which helps there younger kids and the programs continue to get better. They also get rewared with x amount of playoff dollars, which helps them, while the have nots get to go to their games and watch them play and pay admission and buy there Cokes and hotdogs.

Guys, all these coaches are doing is trying to help improve football in the state and help as many kids as they can. :banana: :banana:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. I beleive that the coaches have done this to try and elminate the problem of 2,3and 4a schools who drop down a class to play smaller schools and 'cherry pick' I call it. What this really benefits is the smaller 1a schools who are truly on a little more of a level playing field with this proposal.It seems to me the only ones complaining about this are from schools that have to go up a class in this.

The primary reason I was interested in this was because we could go to a 9 game regular season. Most teams would play game #10 as a first round playoff game. The reason a 9 game regular season appealed to me was that we could back up the season 1-2 weeks to avoid some of the heat.

The heat and concerns that go with it are not being mentioned much anymore if at all regarding six classes. But, originally, that is what made me think it might be worth looking at.

I'm sure that when we played for one state title in football and we went to the 4 class system there were people (the have's) that said "this will water down the competition...let's give everyone a trophy...etc." Now here we are saying the same thing about a 6 class system that does address most of the concerns dealing with the enrollment differences in a given class. If a teams wins a championship, I promise they'll treasure it forever! Only adults get caught up in the logistics.

I do look at Nelson Co's opposite district with X, M, H, PRP and Butler and wonder if we can get a trade to take place with the other Louisville district. Maybe send M or H or X to the other district. Heck while I'm at it, just put the Louisville districts in their one region.

I think that we should get rid of districts all together in this system and just play regions, that would give everyone atleast one or two games to play whoever they want and then they would play the rest of the region and send the top four teams from the region.

Example :Region 2

Bullitt Central, Central Hardin, Nelson Co., North Hardin, Butler, DuPont Manual, Male, PRP, St. Xavier

St. X's schedule could look like this.

Lexington Catholic

Bullitt Central

Central Hardin

Nelson Co.

Trinity

North Hardin

Butler

DuPont Manual

Male

PRP

Manual's schedule could look like this.

Warren Central

Central Hardin

Nelson Co.

Seneca

Butler

PRP

North Hardin

St.X

Bullitt Central

Male

You would then send the top four teams from the region to a sixteen team playoff.

Also, your going to have the New Harlan County School, which will take out Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts. This has Evarts in a 4 team district will Corbin, Middlesboro and Somerset, and that would make it a 3 team district. Also I think Hazard should be in district 7 in class a and Jenkins in district 8.

If consolidation occurs they will just have to make adjustments just like in the basketball districts when it occurs. Im sure geographically it would make sense for Hazard to go to dist. 7 but speaking selfishly and not to offend anyone form Jenkins,but i would rather lose to Hazard then beat Jenkins because we would learn more from Hazard win or lose.

The primary reason I was interested in this was because we could go to a 9 game regular season. Most teams would play game #10 as a first round playoff game. The reason a 9 game regular season appealed to me was that we could back up the season 1-2 weeks to avoid some of the heat.

The heat and concerns that go with it are not being mentioned much anymore if at all regarding six classes. But, originally, that is what made me think it might be worth looking at.

:thumb: This is a good deal to move the season up,to avoid some of the heat! another ideal would be to leave things the way they are,but just take two teams from each district to the playoffs, this would cut one week off!

I think that we should get rid of districts all together in this system and just play regions, that would give everyone atleast one or two games to play whoever they want and then they would play the rest of the region and send the top four teams from the region.

Example :Region 2

Bullitt Central, Central Hardin, Nelson Co., North Hardin, Butler, DuPont Manual, Male, PRP, St. Xavier

St. X's schedule could look like this.

Lexington Catholic

Bullitt Central

Central Hardin

Nelson Co.

Trinity

North Hardin

Butler

DuPont Manual

Male

PRP

Manual's schedule could look like this.

Warren Central

Central Hardin

Nelson Co.

Seneca

Butler

PRP

North Hardin

St.X

Bullitt Central

Male

You would then send the top four teams from the region to a sixteen team playoff.

I dont know about dropping districts altogether but less teams in a district is not a bad thing because teams can schedule more quality non distirct opponents without the constraints of so many district games to deal with. This will in turn make every team better come playoff time.

Kentucky has too small of a population to require six football classes. Generally, the only reason for a state to increase the number of classes is to level the playing field and allow the playoffs to be completed in a reasonable period of time. Going to six classes would do nothing the loosen the stanglehold on the 4A title that Trinity and St. X enjoy and it would necessarily increase the travel expenses for many rural schools.

Indiana has five classes. Ohio has six. If Kentucky increases its number of classes to six or more, it will just be a weak football state with a lot of classes.

Thank you for helping prove my point. The football advisory committee is trying to level the playing field :thumb:

As far as travel expense this will help not hurt. The fewer teams that someone has in their district the closer they will generally be. Example: Right now Danville has be go to Carroll, Owen and Trimble. With the new district they have Bardstown ,Washington,Green,and Fort Knox which are all closer than Carroll, Owen, and Trimble. Harrodsburg is also in that district. There are several others that are the same.

The rural committees will get X amount of dollars for making the playoffs.

Again these are professional people that have put alot of thought into what is best for alot of kids in the state of Kentucky.

At this point, does anyone think it would be fair to drop off 25 or so

teams from the playoffs? To me, if you expand to 6 Divisons and allow

4 teams per district to go into the playoffs you would be doing those

teams a major injustice because they wouldn't make it in. This demeans

the regular season and really makes me think that if they are going this

far, they should let all 217 teams into the playoffs and then not force

a team to play any games against the other teams in their district.

Thank you for helping prove my point. The football advisory committee is trying to level the playing field :thumb:

As far as travel expense this will help not hurt. The fewer teams that someone has in their district the closer they will generally be. Example: Right now Danville has be go to Carroll, Owen and Trimble. With the new district they have Bardstown ,Washington,Green,and Fort Knox which are all closer than Carroll, Owen, and Trimble. Harrodsburg is also in that district. There are several others that are the same.

The rural committees will get X amount of dollars for making the playoffs.

Again these are professional people that have put alot of thought into what is best for alot of kids in the state of Kentucky.

Lots of professional people are paid lots of money and still make a lot of bad decisions. We call them Congressmen. Putting a lot of thought into a pigskin purse will not make it into a silk purse.

I favor eliminating districts altogether, keeping four classes, shortening the regular season to nine games, letting every team into the playoffs (as is the case with basketball), and drawing for first round home games. That would allow teams maximum flexibility to play the schedule that their coaches believe will best prepare them for a deep playoff run. Teams short on funds could schedule games close to home to hold down expenses, and teams that could afford to travel the country playing top competition would be allowed to do so.

If Kentucky is determined to increase the number of classes to six, eight, or even more, then the length of the regular season could left unchanged.

...The rural committees will get X amount of dollars for making the playoffs...

IF that community's team hosts a playoff game, and if the other

team brings good fan support. (When all those 0-10 teams make

the playoffs, they generally don't bring a mass following.)