6 Class Breakdown (Draft Only)

theguru

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have missed the boat on this one, but I haven't seen on here what justifies the classes. It doesn't look to go by numbers cause you have Mayfield going up to 2A and Owensboro Catholic going up to 3A. If you went by numbers, Owensboro should drop to 1A instead of going up. So it doesn't look like this would really solve anything.

I definitely don't like the idea of six classes. Seems that it waters down the classes too much. It's thinking like this that spawned things like "7th place" trophies, "participant" awards and other "nobody leaves empty handed" awards. :sssh:

Do I like the idea of six classes? No. Does a 5 or 6 class system 'water' down the playoff system? Maybe or maybe not depending, I believe on the sucsess of the program that you back. Would this new system be beneficial to the state of Kentucky football? I think that it could. I think that your viewpoint on this is slightly exaggerated. If the classes were to be broken down to 35 teams per class then it is still an accomplishment to win which is a little bit different than a 7th place finish. However I do believe that a breakdown into 5 classes would bring in a little more equity of numbers amongst the schools and would allow more schools to have and extended season. This is why I believe that in college those colleges that go to bowl games are better year in and year out because of the extended practice time for its players between the end of the season and the bowl game. I think that the same would be true for high school football programs here. More schools would benefit than not.

I still don't see how we can compare the football playoffs with the sweet sixteen in basketball. As some have said it is much easier for a A or AA team to put a highly competitive team on the floor that could vie for a state tournament. But for a A or AA class team in football would be near impossible to compete with the powerful AAAA schools.