Boise State to be #1? NO WAY I say.

titletownclown

In my assessment, if Boise State played LSU, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Nebraska & Oregon's schedules up to this point, they would still be undefeated. And if they played Ohio State's schedule, I believe they would have the same record as the Buckeyes. I don't see them being undefeated, at this point, with Auburn's schedule; nor am I certain they would just have one blemish if playing Alabama's. I'll grant that this is my opinion, but I'm just not seeing how Boise should be left out of the national championship discussion. From several things I've read in the past, Boise has tried to "schedule up" but not many BCS teams are willing to do a home-and-home with them. And to be honest, if I'm an upper-tier SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, or Big 10 school I can understand why.

The logic you're using (along with many others) essentially says that only teams from the major BCS conferences should have a shot at winning the whole thing. It leaves no room at all for a legitimate team playing in a weaker conference. And I'm not defending all the little guys, but Boise has stepped up to the plate in BCS games, both in the regular season & bowls. They are to college football what Gonzaga has been to college basketball, with the exception that they've had much more "post-season" success.

If you're BSU and you think you deserve title game consideration and you know your conference schedule is god-awful you MUST play tough non-conference teams. They didn't so they leave their invitation up to people like me who feel teams must show they deserve to be in. BSU will not have done that this year. Bama, on the other hand, should they win out and win the SEC championship will absolutely deserve to go in ahead of BSU. If OK wins out the same way they will deserve it over BSU. If Oregon wins their conference they will deserve it over BSU. If Mich St wins their conference they will deserve it (and I think the B10 is overrated). I could go on and on with other teams that will have PROVEN they can play a medium-to-tough schedule and win.

The "they're the Gonzaga" line doesn't cut it with me. We are not inviting Gonzaga to play in the Final 4. We're giving them a chance to be in the tourney(and they also play a tougher schedule that BSU does in football anyway). Apples and oranges.

BSU will never be able to make that argument which IMO will eliminate them from the big game and rightfully so.

Great story. However, it's for the big boys who go out and earn it - not for the great story.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're BSU and you think you deserve title game consideration and you know your conference schedule is god-awful you MUST play tough non-conference teams. They didn't so they leave their invitation up to people like me who feel teams must show they deserve to be in. BSU will not have done that this year. Bama, on the other hand, should they win out and win the SEC championship will absolutely deserve to go in ahead of BSU. If OK wins out the same way they will deserve it over BSU. If Oregon wins their conference they will deserve it over BSU. If Mich St wins their conference they will deserve it (and I think the B10 is overrated). I could go on and on with other teams that will have PROVEN they can play a medium-to-tough schedule and win.

The "they're the Gonzaga" line doesn't cut it with me. We are not inviting Gonzaga to play in the Final 4. We're giving them a chance to be in the tourney(and they also play a tougher schedule that BSU does in football anyway). Apples and oranges.

BSU will never be able to make that argument which IMO will eliminate them from the big game and rightfully so.

Great story. However, it's for the big boys who go out and earn it - not for the great story.

The bolded part I agree with. The "earning it" part, not so much.

The other problem with the BCS is the penalty in the polls for losing. Had Boise State lost to Virginia Tech, they are done for the year. Alabama lost to South Carolina, who in the next week lost to Kentucky. Sorry folks-Alabama should drop much further-South Carolina isn't that good, and neither are the Wildcats.

If Alabama wins out, then they should have an outside chance at third place. That's it. You can't lose to the Gamecocks and tell me you are the best team in the country.

The other problem with the BCS is the penalty in the polls for losing. Had Boise State lost to Virginia Tech, they are done for the year. Alabama lost to South Carolina, who in the next week lost to Kentucky. Sorry folks-Alabama should drop much further-South Carolina isn't that good, and neither are the Wildcats.

If Alabama wins out, then they should have an outside chance at third place. That's it. You can't lose to the Gamecocks and tell me you are the best team in the country.

IMO that's too simplistic of a view. You have to look at the cumulative effect of a schedule. There aren't many nights off in the SEC. Heck, UK took Auburn to the wire. The fact that Alabama doesn't have many weeks when they just just relax is a huge factor. BSU relaxes much of the season.

IMO that's too simplistic of a view. You have to look at the cumulative effect of a schedule. There aren't many nights off in the SEC. Heck, UK took Auburn to the wire. The fact that Alabama doesn't have many weeks when they just just relax is a huge factor. BSU relaxes much of the season.

Perhaps, but one Boise loss to anyone and they are toast. The big boys can lose once and as long as it is not too late-they are still alive. System is broken. Plain and simple.

Perhaps, but one Boise loss to anyone and they are toast. The big boys can lose once and as long as it is not too late-they are still alive. System is broken. Plain and simple.

The only way to improve the system is go to a playoff which isn't going to happen. So my arguments are strictly based upon the current rules.

You said Bama should be 3rd at best with one loss. So you're equating the following schedules:

Penn St, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, LSU, Mississippi St, Auburn, and probably South Carolina again....

WITH

VT, Wyoming, Oregon State, New Mexico St, Toledo, San Jose St, LaTech, Hawaii, Idaho,Fresno, Nevada, and Utah St?

Come on.

The only way to improve the system is go to a playoff which isn't going to happen. So my arguments are strictly based upon the current rules.

You said Bama should be 3rd at best with one loss. So you're equating the following schedules:

Penn St, Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Ole Miss, LSU, Mississippi St, Auburn, and probably South Carolina again....

WITH

VT, Wyoming, Oregon State, New Mexico St, Toledo, San Jose St, LaTech, Hawaii, Idaho,Fresno, Nevada, and Utah St?

Come on.

So if Boise loses to Toledo they should tumble only to 8. Gimme a break Alabama lost to one of the weaker SEC teams.

Boise would whip Vandy and UK and Tennessee, and I guarantee those teams wouldn't play the Broncos anywhere.

Funny you pick the two historically worst teams and a very down Tennessee team to back up your argument. How would Boise do against Bama, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida...in back to back games. My guess is if they are lucky they come out with 2 wins at best.

Boise would whip Vandy and UK and Tennessee, and I guarantee those teams wouldn't play the Broncos anywhere.

And your point? That's 3 games, last time I checked you play 12. Put them up against an SEC schedule week in, week out and they won't escape with less than 3 losses.

So if Boise loses to Toledo they should tumble only to 8. Gimme a break Alabama lost to one of the weaker SEC teams.

You obviously don't follow college football....South Carolina is one of the better teams in the SEC this season. Comparing them to Toledo is a joke. SC would beat Toledo by 3-4 TDs.

Cats, my point is one has no real concrete basis for believing they are #1 or #2 in the country. What could you possibly base it on?

As to your question, no, you need to be able to back it up with something somewhat substantive. You're basing your belief on their performance. Their performance came against a weak schedule, thus.....

That's fine but that has nothing to do with anything though. They could still be one of the 2 best teams in the country, even if they played no one. Perception and reality are two different things. That said I don't think Boise is better than Oregon, Auburn, or Bama. I do think they are better than Oklahoma though, and I think they'd give anyone a run for their money.

Clyde, you will be waiting a long time for that to happen. When it comes down to it there is no good argument for Boise to be in the title game. People can only say they think they deserve it but in the end they play in a JV conference and their out of conference schedule isn't much better. If Boise wants the respect of the big boys they have got to get out of the power puff conference they are in.

They are getting in a better conference. A big conference isn't going to take them though, their other sports besides football kill their chances. Their football team probably doesn't even make that much money. It's sad but teams like Colorado are more attractive to conferences like the Pac-10.

South Carolina one of the weaker teams in the SEC? We'll see what the rest of the SEC East has to say about that.

No. They should be out of all consideration even moreso than they should be now.

SC is hardly a weak team.