Boise State to be #1? NO WAY I say.

titletownclown

With the loss by Ohio State tonight, will Boise State move to #1? I've heard several analysts state that they may become the #1 team. I'm sorry, but if you look at their remaining schedule, I don't see how anyone could stick them in the top spot. Their remaining schedule is a who's who of who are they.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few teams (like Alabama), IMO, who Boise would need to lose twice to get the nod over them. I could be wrong. I'm talking end-game, BCS title game here...I don't know how the AP rankings will go down this week. But, I could absolutely see a one-loss Alabama leapfrogging Boise in the weekly rankings at some point if they continue to win...say 'Bama moves back up and beats highly ranked and possibly unbeaten teams like Auburn and LSU, while Boise continues to beat up on nobodies...it can and may happen, and it is justified if it does, IMO.

I'm sorry, but if you look at their remaining schedule, I don't see how anyone could stick them in the top spot.

If you're talking about the BCS computer rankings, then you can't concern yourself with anyone's remaining schedules. The computers only factor in to-date, nothing in the future. Boise's strength-of-schedule as of now is in fact stronger than many of the BCS conference teams, Ohio State being a prime example mentioned in SI a couple weeks ago. But their strength of schedule will drop during the coming weeks, which will likely drop them some in the computer numbers. The biggest question will be whether they can stay on top of the people polls; my guess is no, considering those are almost always skewed towards name programs.

My question for those questioning Boise State: Who, outside of Oregon, has looked worthy of being ranked ahead of the Broncos right now? Maybe Auburn? Oklahoma? It's sort of a thin group.

Boise may not get #1, but will definitely get #2. I don't see them going any lower than 2 the rest of the season if the run the rest of their schedule. No one in the SEC will finish undefeated, slight chance Oklahoma will, and I believe Oregon has a chance at it too, while I also wouldn't be shocked to see Oregon lose to someone in the PAC 10 that they are not supposed to. The college season could finish very interesting this season. Another thing that Boise has going for them is that Virginia Tech has as good of a chance as anyone at winning the ACC. I also believe that Oregon State has an outside shot of winning the PAC 10; if they don't, they will finish with a good season.

I don't know how this will all turn out, but what I do know is that there's something inherently wrong with a sport when a team (or teams) can go undefeated and not even be given an opportunity to play for a national championship.

In my mind, college football should be the greatest amateur sport in America, but it isn't because of its post-season.

I don't know how this will all turn out, but what I do know is that there's something inherently wrong with a sport when a team (or teams) can go undefeated and not even be given an opportunity to play for a national championship.

In my mind, college football should be the greatest amateur sport in America, but it isn't because of its post-season.

Agree with this completely. College football has the best regular season and the worst postseason. I hope Boise State does get a chance to play in the title tilt-just to further destroy this lame BCS system.

Edited by History
BCS makes me so mad I can't even spell it.

Agree with this completely. College football has the best regular season and the worst postseason. I hope Boise State does get a chance to play in the title tilt-just to further destroy this lame BCS system.

Agree. If Boise goes to the National title game the BCS will look like even more of a joke than it already is.