Boise State to be #1? NO WAY I say.

titletownclown

Not Virginia Tech. Boise State is MUCH better than you think.

I've watched them play multiple times this season. They're a top 15-20 team, not a legit title contender.

You're talking about the same Va Tech team that got embarrassed by James Madison? That's the win on their crap schedule that you're hanging your hat on? :lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love UK's chances at beating Boise if they caught them the week after they beat Alabama at home. It's easy to say Boise would destroy UK, but I'm not sure Boise could beat them 4 out of 7 times if they played 7 times in a row. Boise is a neat little story, but they don't want a playoff no matter what they think. Their only chance to ever play for the title is the current setup.

I would love UK's chances at beating Boise if they caught them the week after they beat Alabama at home. It's easy to say Boise would destroy UK, but I'm not sure Boise could beat them 4 out of 7 times if they played 7 times in a row. Boise is a neat little story, but they don't want a playoff no matter what they think. Their only chance to ever play for the title is the current setup.

You are absolutely correct, SSC. These title teams are built upon depth, size, speed, and being able to bring it in consecutive weeks. Boise State is not accustomed to doing this nor do they have that caliber of talent.

The best comparison I can draw is UL from their BCS season. The big argument most people had was that they could not week-in and week-out compete at a high level because they did not have the depth of the major programs and the Big East did not have high talent to go against weekly. The toughest stretch UL had in back-to-back weeks was West Virginia at home, followed by a trip to Rutgers. Both were solid teams sure, but we are not talking about world beater competition. UL was not able to close the deal against Rutgers. The grind of playing successive tough opponents wears on teams quickly.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the gap between Oregon, Bama, Auburn and OU is not that great over Boise, if there is one at all. They play no one?

Who does OU play? The worst Texas team of this decade? FSU who has looked good in one game this season? Air Force? Oklahoma State and Missou coming up, two undefeated teams that have played no one and will end up with at least 2 losses a piece that are greater than 30 points? Is their schedule that much better, other than name recognition?

What about Oregon who plays in a good Pac-10, but no one out there is even close to their level. Stanford seems to be the 2nd best team, but they were proven to be pretenders. USC is a joke. Oregon State has gotten waxed by Boise and TCU. UCLA gets some love for killing a pitiful Texas team. Who has Oregon played either?

If we're going to play the schedule game only the SEC and Big 10 teams not named Michigan State should be eligible for the Title. Even those teams are untested in terms of what we've seen in previous years. UF plays a garbage schedule most years, I repeat a garbage schedule even in the SEC, but they still get in to the title game. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Boise should be at 2 right now, but the arguments for excluding them are weak. And if they get to the title game, I'll go ahead and say that I think they'll win......over anyone, even the "Godly" Crimson Tide.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the gap between Oregon, Bama, Auburn and OU is not that great over Boise, if there is one at all. They play no one?

Who does OU play? The worst Texas team of this decade? FSU who has looked good in one game this season? Air Force? Oklahoma State and Missou coming up, two undefeated teams that have played no one and will end up with at least 2 losses a piece that are greater than 30 points? Is their schedule that much better, other than name recognition?

What about Oregon who plays in a good Pac-10, but no one out there is even close to their level. Stanford seems to be the 2nd best team, but they were proven to be pretenders. USC is a joke. Oregon State has gotten waxed by Boise and TCU. UCLA gets some love for killing a pitiful Texas team. Who has Oregon played either?

If we're going to play the schedule game only the SEC and Big 10 teams not named Michigan State should be eligible for the Title. Even those teams are untested in terms of what we've seen in previous years. UF plays a garbage schedule most years, I repeat a garbage schedule even in the SEC, but they still get in to the title game. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Boise should be at 2 right now, but the arguments for excluding them are weak. And if they get to the title game, I'll go ahead and say that I think they'll win......over anyone, even the "Godly" Crimson Tide.

With you 100% CatsCatsCats!!

In a one game scenario, sure I would like Boise State's chances. Which is why I believe the current system gives them the best chance of winning a title, whether they publicly admit it or not. But if you ask any coach in college football if they would trade Alabma's talent, player-for-player, with Boise State, they would laugh at you. The "gap" between Boise State and the teams you listed can be overcome with hard work and determination in a given game, but ultimately talent and depth will prevail over the course of a season. To me it makes the debate interesting as to who is more deserving.

To clarify, I am not saying it is fair. But it is the reality of the situation and what we have to work with.

Except you didn't make any agruement other than if you lose you're out....At least Cats put together an arguement, albeit one I don't agree with, but at least he brought something of substance to the debate.

Thanks I'll make note of that debate moderator. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you are going to try and make a case for Boise you better come with something other then schedule. Boise's best win against VT. Other then that they have nothing, period. A down Texas is still a better win then anything Boise has on thier schedule. I in no way think OU is the best team in the country and believe that will work itself out but the fact remains Boise has been untested since the first game of the season and as it turns out that wasn't much of measuring stick. Other then to say Boise struggled with an average at best VT team. I do not think there is any team this year that is light years better then everyone else but I still think Bama is the best team in the country even with the loss. If anyone can make the case that Boise could trade schedules with Bama, Auburn, OU, Oregon, LSU, or Michigan ST and go undefeated while the other loses a game on Boise's schedule I would love to hear it.

If you are going to try and make a case for Boise you better come with something other then schedule. Boise's best win against VT. Other then that they have nothing, period. A down Texas is still a better win then anything Boise has on thier schedule. I in no way think OU is the best team in the country and believe that will work itself out but the fact remains Boise has been untested since the first game of the season and as it turns out that wasn't much of measuring stick. Other then to say Boise struggled with an average at best VT team. I do not think there is any team this year that is light years better then everyone else but I still think Bama is the best team in the country even with the loss. If anyone can make the case that Boise could trade schedules with Bama, Auburn, OU, Oregon, LSU, or Michigan ST and go undefeated while the other loses a game on Boise's schedule I would love to hear it.

VT is better than you are giving them credit for. They lost to a horrible team, but other than that they haven't been that bad. I'm not going to say VT is awful because they lost to a team they should have beat, 5 days after they just had their title hopes ruined. If you ask me VT would wipe the floor with Texas at this time.

In a one game scenario, sure I would like Boise State's chances. Which is why I believe the current system gives them the best chance of winning a title, whether they publicly admit it or not. But if you ask any coach in college football if they would trade Alabma's talent, player-for-player, with Boise State, they would laugh at you. The "gap" between Boise State and the teams you listed can be overcome with hard work and determination in a given game, but ultimately talent and depth will prevail over the course of a season. To me it makes the debate interesting as to who is more deserving.

To clarify, I am not saying it is fair. But it is the reality of the situation and what we have to work with.

All I'm saying is that most of these "big dog" teams have played no one either. It's not like one of them could cry about it if Boise got in the MNC in front of them, provided those teams had one loss. Boise is more deserving that Bama in the current system.

As far as talent, I've not seen a game where Boise didn't have the talent to compete. Sure teams like Bama or Oregon are faster, but we've seen how Boise matches up with speed. There is no better coach in the country at making sure his players are fundamentally sound and exectute than Petersen. I don't believe they wouldn't be right there with a chance to win the SEC. I think they would win the Big 12 undefeated. I think at worst they would lose 1 game in the Big 10. I think Oregon is the only team in the Pac 10 that could beat them. The ACC and Big East would have to take cover.

I will never be convinced that Oklahoma is even Boise's equal, unless they meet on the field.

I am sure Boise State would love to be in the SEC. Lots more exposure, money, etc, and that what produces top notch programs.

Like it or not Boise State has done what they are supposed to do, and when given the chance have beaten Oklahoma, TCU, Virginia Tech, etc. They deserve the chance if others can't play undefeated football.

I am sure Boise State would love to be in the SEC. Lots more exposure, money, etc, and that what produces top notch programs.

Like it or not Boise State has done what they are supposed to do, and when given the chance have beaten Oklahoma, TCU, Virginia Tech, etc. They deserve the chance if others can't play undefeated football.

No they don't. Would Toledo deserve the chance to play for the title if they went undefeated?

Boise plays a schedule that would allow UK to have a very realistic chance at going undefeated year in, year out. That garbage scheduling doesn't merit a chance to play for the title.