Is Yeagle Done?

gametime

I hope they don't get soccer. Football brings in all the money it would seem. Why would they want to change that when they have had a good thing going for years.

One of the biggest misconceptions among casual high school fans is that football is some type of "cash cow". Far from the truth. Having a football team costs most schools money, and even the schools that make money from football, usually make very little.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest misconceptions among casual high school fans is that football is some type of "cash cow". Far from the truth. Having a football team costs most schools money, and even the schools that make money from football, usually make very little.

Sandman, you may be right; what I do know however is that at Highlands, the football team makes a lot of money and carries the other sports. My guess is that would be the case at Beechwood also to the extent it matters. And no I am not a casual high school fan. :thumb:

Congrats to coach Yeagle on a great High School coaching career! You are one of the best coaches that I have seen and I wish you all the best. As for a new coach, I 'm sure they will go out and find the best man for the job. They aren't going to let this end their rein in 1A football by Yeagle leaving. I'm pretty sure they will get who they want for this position.

I hear the Soccer crowd in Ft Mitchell is licking their chops as we speak. It was a rediculious lawsuit that got us right here too, you know...

I have heard that as well. Every five years or so a new group of parents try. Boys will never happen and girls will only happen if another boys sport is added to stay in compliance with title IX. In that scenario, girls soccer has a small chance, but very unlikely.

Anyway, that is a different thread.

I hope they don't get soccer. Football brings in all the money it would seem. Why would they want to change that when they have had a good thing going for years.

Maybe because they are a high school that should offer as many extra activities to their students as is possible?

Would having a soccer program hurt the football program? Sure, to what degree I am not sure. But I can understand how the parents and students of Beechwood would like to have a soccer program since all the schools geographically around Beechwood have soccer programs and other Class A size schools have soccer programs.

Look, I know nothing about Soccer. Don't want to know either, but some kids like it. Why I'll never know :lol:, but they do. I don't agree with St. Henry's stance that the soccer coach has about not letting football into their high school, so I don't see how I could agree with not letting soccer into Beechwood. Sports are great for kids, and if this will enrich their lives, as we all know participation in sports does, then I can't see backing a plan that would exclude it. If the kids aren't interested I would say, OK, drop it. But lets be honest, a lot of kids like playing it and it is only fair to afford them the opportunity. Even though it will probably detract from the football team. Just my opninion.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!

Absolutely the worse choice They could make!!!

A good Head Coach has the respect of their players, I can quarentee that Noel Rash does not have that, will never have it and has never had it.

You may have the pulse of a few, but you better talk to the players of the past few teams about him!! That is beside your nephews!

You have to think about those beside your sons.

Beechwood Football is Dead if they give this job to anyone on this present staff!

They need to look at members of Yeagle's previous staffs/players and hope they apply.

Roy Lucas Jr, David Brossart, Rob Stoll, Bernie Barre and plenty more...

Actually, they need to clean house.

Bob Burnett would be the easy choice, but Bob is able to retire and go somewhere else.

Best case scenario would be for Beechwood would be for Burnett to retire and open up the AD position to a Combo Coach/AD.

Right now the formal papers have to be filed and what you need to worry about is that the right people are put in place to hire the right Coach!

The handicap at this point is that the present principal at Beechwood could care less.

Does Beechwood have a coach that you actually like?

A legit opinion Sandman. Problem is with smaller schools the pool of atheltes is so small. Take into account that fall is so busy, and band and cheerleaders, though not considered athletes, are also committed. Bottom line is that the general belief is that soccer and football at the same time will lead to two mediocre teams, instead of one big money maker, like football.

I am not saying it is right or wrong. ( Personally, I have a good soccer player in my family.), but it seems to have been proven by other small schools.

Years ago, when soccer was a spring sport, Beechwood briefly had a soccer team. If it was still a spring sport, there probably would not be a problem.

Would having a soccer program hurt the football program? Sure, to what degree I am not sure.

One only has to look at Ludlow to see what adding soccer can do to a small schools football program. I believe the year before Ludlow added soccer their football team was like 9-2? and the next year around 1-9.

Why couldn't soccer and football coexist? Highlands has a very good soccer team and I hear their football team's not too shabby.

Highlands also has a larger school than Beechwood. Beechwood is one of the smallest schools as far as enrollment in the state. Most 1A schools that add soccer has their football program suffer. Why? Because without the choice of soccer, those kids play football. I think that it is very difficult for a 1A team to field both soccer and football teams. Though not impossible.

Why couldn't soccer and football coexist? Highlands has a very good soccer team and I hear their football team's not too shabby.

It is a big difference between a 3A school and a 1A school having both.

If a 1A school has say 300 students that is 75 per class. So using 38 boys entering as Frosh would you have enough to have a Frosh Football and Frosh soccer team? Some A schools do, but some just use the Frosh on the soccer JV because they don't have enough. Or maybe they do not have enough to field a Frosh football team.

Sandman, you may be right; what I do know however is that at Highlands, the football team makes a lot of money and carries the other sports. My guess is that would be the case at Beechwood also to the extent it matters. And no I am not a casual high school fan. :thumb:

Unless I'm missing something, looking at the school facts that Fort Thomas puts out the football team made about $8,500 after expenses. Revenue was 98,000 but expenses were 89,500. Maybe they throw other teams expenses into the football teams accounts but a profit of 8,500 will not carry the other sports IMO.

Unless I'm missing something, looking at the school facts that Fort Thomas puts out the football team made about $8,500 after expenses. Revenue was 98,000 but expenses were 89,500. Maybe they throw other teams expenses into the football teams accounts but a profit of 8,500 will not carry the other sports IMO.

I would think that money is little factor in Beechwood starting soccer.

Soccer isn't a money generator but the expenses are not as great as some other sports. Plus they already have a turf field which could accomadate both soccer and football.