Is Yeagle Done?

gametime

One only has to look at Ludlow to see what adding soccer can do to a small schools football program. I believe the year before Ludlow added soccer their football team was like 9-2? and the next year around 1-9.

How many football players does Beechwood have? They may lose 5-8 kids total to the soccer program and 95% of those would not start. How badly could it possible hurt their football program?

Danville and Somerset are two class 1A schools that come to mind that have excellent football and soccer programs.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many football players does Beechwood have? They may lose 5-8 kids total to the soccer program and 95% of those would not start. How badly could it possible hurt their football program?

Danville and Somerset are two class 1A schools that come to mind that have excellent football and soccer programs.

You cant tell me that soccer hasn't hurt Corbin Football. You all used to have a lot more kids out for football. Some of the people there said that you won't see the effects right away, but after a few years when the little kids start playing soccer instead of football and they keep playing soccer it has to take away from some of the skilled players. Plus they expect to play on the football fields and tear it up. we don't wont soccer in Rockcastle and when we do get it, it will be hte downfall of the program. My biggest fear is that one day my kid will want to play soccer.

It's hard to say how many Beechwood kids would actually play soccer if they started it up there. Beechwood has such a strong football tradition now that I'm not sure very many kids would take the chance to play for a team that may very well take a few hard knocks its 1st few years. No offense to the Beechwood fans but they only support certain sports for some reason there IMO. And IMO of course that means they support the teams that are winning but sort of turn their back on the teams in the school that don't do so well.

Their basketball support has been minimal at best except when they had a little run last year at the end of the year. They do nothing for their girls basketball program or so it appears. Its always been my understanding that at Beechwood their SBDM Committee has always shot down any talk of soccer. Schools such as Ludlow, Bellevue, Dayton and even Beechwood just don't have the numbers to support all of these different programs. I would strongly suggest they continue to keep soccer out of their school.

You're right, but both of those schools are larger than Beechwood too. Ask Bath Co. who started soccer a few years ago how much it hurt their football program. If you have the numbers to do both, than I say do it. But to some of these small schools like Beechwood or Paintsville, there's no way you could field both teams.

Why not play soccer during the spring? The powers that be wouldn't let that happen during baseball season. Why does football have to share a season with another sport.

Fall Sports for boys in KY:

Football

Soccer

Golf

Cross Country

Winter Sports for boys in KY:

Basketball

Wrestling

Spring Sports for boys in KY:

Baseball

Track and Field

Swimming

Did I leave any out? Why does football have to share the season with three other sports?

Sorry, I know this isn't what the thread is about, but I had to post this.

If I am not mistaken, Beechwood is one of the smaller class A schools..smaller than Danville and Somerset

In a school as small as Beechwood there are only a handful of exceptional athletes. Basically, the football program wants to keep the top athletes and not share any with soccer. I know that sounds bad, but it has worked for Beechwood.

Better to have one great team than two mediocre ones. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but I know that is the thought behind it. Personally, I think that eventually that would happen.

I apologize for drifting from the thread again.

Why not play soccer during the spring? The powers that be wouldn't let that happen during baseball season. Why does football have to share a season with another sport.

Are you seriously trying to say that baseball gets breaks from the powers????? :confused: :confused: :confused: