Is Yeagle Done?

gametime

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I'm missing something, looking at the school facts that Fort Thomas puts out the football team made about $8,500 after expenses. Revenue was 98,000 but expenses were 89,500. Maybe they throw other teams expenses into the football teams accounts but a profit of 8,500 will not carry the other sports IMO.

Actually there are a lot of other expenses in there like Cheerleading transportation and band transportation from what I recall. Also from what I recall, not all the revenue is even credited to football. Please forgive me for not having it in front of me. Heck any sport that carries its own weight and throws off even a dollar is carrying the other sports in my mind. To you $8,500 may not be much, but just cut it out of the swim team, track team or soccer team's budget and prepare to watch the feathers fly.

Congratulations on 2 things, Coach Yeagle...

(1) Being the best HS head coach I have ever witnessed on a regular basis.

(2) Ruining my dreams of winning state my senior year of HS at NewCath, lol.

Although I can't say I'll miss you (finally, Coach Schneider can get over the hump!), it will be weird not having the old NewCath/Beechwood Schneider/Yeagle rivalry.

I think it was Bear Bryant who said "he could take hisins and beat yourins and he could take yourins and beat hisins". No truer words could be spoken when it comes to Coach Yeagle verses Schneider and the Beechwood/NCC rivalry. Yeagles superiority over Schneider was what won many of those games.

I think it was Bear Bryant who said "he could take hisins and beat yourins and he could take yourins and beat hisins". No truer words could be spoken when it comes to Coach Yeagle verses Schneider and the Beechwood/NCC rivalry. Yeagles superiority over Schneider was what won many of those games.

Please. Yeagle is a great coach and is a great teacher of the game, but to say he is the reason Beechwood beat NCC in some games is an insult to the players of Beechwood and their talent, hard work, and dedication to their coach.

Yes, it's been stated many times. He told the team after the game it was his last.

This has happened in the past before and he has come back. This time I think he means it. However, from what I understand he has NOT formally (in writing) resigned. Until that happens it is not official.

You can throw Lynn Ray in there too.....

Please. Yeagle is a great coach and is a great teacher of the game, but to say he is the reason Beechwood beat NCC in some games is an insult to the players of Beechwood and their talent, hard work, and dedication to their coach.

Not meant to be an insult to any Beechwood team or player. It's just a simple fact that on more then one ocassion Yeagle has out coached his counterpart from NCC and even many of the most loyal NCC followers will agree with that statement.

One only has to look at Ludlow to see what adding soccer can do to a small schools football program. I believe the year before Ludlow added soccer their football team was like 9-2? and the next year around 1-9.

What years was that? I Know Ludlow does have a soccer program, but just most years they can't field a boys team because not enough players come out to the team. I know of no one atleast in the last 5 years that left the football program to play soccer. All the soccer players have just been players who has played all their lifes, and they would only play soccer and not football anyways. So having a soccer program didnt mess up the football program at all. Having a soccer program has actually helped Ludlow out at getting a kicker because they have taken a player from the soccer team the last 3 years and had used them as their kicker. So the soccer program has had no effect on the football program at Ludlow because the people who would play football are still playing football.

Mike Yeagle was a great coach, and definitely one of the best in the history of state. I hope maybe in a few years he might get that fire back in him and want to return to coaching, because I would like to see him go out better than the way he went out here in a tough loss to LCA.

What years was that? I Know Ludlow does have a soccer program, but just most years they can't field a boys team because not enough players come out to the team. I know of no one atleast in the last 5 years that left the football program to play soccer. All the soccer players have just been players who has played all their lifes, and they would only play soccer and not football anyways. So having a soccer program didnt mess up the football program at all. Having a soccer program has actually helped Ludlow out at getting a kicker because they have taken a player from the soccer team the last 3 years and had used them as their kicker. So the soccer program has had no effect on the football program at Ludlow because the people who would play football are still playing football.

Around 1988 or 89. And YES, Soccer hurt the Ludlow football team at that time. You also have to figure if there is a soccer team at a school for let say 4 or 5 years no one (at least not many), is going to leave football to play soccer as they will already have been playing and don't see a need to switch as the school offers both. But when they see there is a choice at a younger age some will choose soccer from the beginning.

Sandman, you may be right; what I do know however is that at Highlands, the football team makes a lot of money and carries the other sports. My guess is that would be the case at Beechwood also to the extent it matters. And no I am not a casual high school fan. :thumb:

Leatherneck, I thought about shooting you a PM, and still may on the subject. I understand you are far from just a casual fan. I am not someone to post without having my ducks in a row though.

There have been years the football team has finished in the red. Not a knock on Highlands, it's the nature of the beast in football. And the cheerleaders and band costs are not incurred by the football program.

I can promise you the football team doesn't carry any of the other sports teams at HHS. I'll leave it at that.

Leatherneck, I thought about shooting you a PM, and still may on the subject. I understand you are far from just a casual fan. I am not someone to post without having my ducks in a row though.

There have been years the football team has finished in the red. Not a knock on Highlands, it's the nature of the beast in football. And the cheerleaders and band costs are not incurred by the football program.

I can promise you the football team doesn't carry any of the other sports teams at HHS. I'll leave it at that.

Of course there have been years that they did not make money, but that is the exception and not the rule, and I don't have the School Facts in front of me, but its my understanding that the cheerleader transportation costs are in fact charged against the football program revenue. I'll look it up and get back with you. And as I stated above, if the football program generates a hundred dollar it is carrying the other sports. You and I may have a different understanding as to carry, however. If you think carry means funds entirely, of course I agree with you. But that's not how I used the word in that context. If I spent all day Saturday carrying fire wood with my brother and someone ask me what I did on Saturday, I'd say "I carried firewood". I'd probably not say "I partially carried firewood and my brother partially carried firewood" . But we are way off topic here. I have sent you a pm and we should move our discussion there.

Sandman, I stand corrected, I just checked with my authority and I was wrong. The cheerleading transportation costs were not included as expenses against the football program. I was wrong and apologize for being incorrect. Still we made approx $8,500 which benefitted the other athletic programs. Also a person close to me who follows the School Facts reports closely (some could say fanatically) does not recall the last time the football program lost money. I know I said we'd continue this in the pm's, but I wanted all to know that I was wrong in my previous statements in re the cheerleaders transportation costs.

And to get back on track, I hate to see Yeagle leave Beechwood. He is a great coach. I may not have always agreed with some of the things he did, but he was a great coach and you can't argue with his successes that's for sure.

I hope he returns to coaching at a N.Ky. AAAA program (I don't care which one) and builds a dynasty; one that will compete each year for the title. That would be sweet.

You were much to young when they initially brought soccer in at Ludlow and to say it had a negative effect on the football program would be a true statement. To what degree it hurt I suppose it depends on who you ask but if you ask the football coach at that time (Glen Wise) he will point to his record those 1st couple of years and say you be the judge. I believe they had records of 3-7 and 2-8 after soccer was started. It didn't take away the really good football player but it definitely hurt with those fringe players who chose soccer over football. Numbers where way down and they couldn't even scrimmage each other. Also couldn't afford to get anyone hurt. Soccer, at least boys soccer has pretty much run its course in Ludlow having not fielded a boys varsity the team the last 2 years.

O.K. back to the original topic. Mike Yeagle.. isn't it funny how we go off in so many different directions.