Lebron James signs with the Miami Heat!

No we aren't going to compare Cleveland to any of them. But, I don't think we should compare Magic, Kareem, and Worthy to James running to Miami as fast as he can either. I would have actually had respect for LeBron if he'd taken the NY challenge because it would have actually been a challenge.

So using this logic, good players should never sign with good teams?

I can't stand LeBron and I have my own gripes about his agenda and how it all went down, but you just can't fault his end decision.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you comprehension skills that poor?

No, my reading comprehension skills are just fine, although your post is extremely difficult to follow, particularly since it started off with a double negative in the 2nd sentence. But, I'll try to explain what I meant.

As bad as I wish it didn't, it does fit him. I'll never be convinced that this move wasn't more about his brand than winning. He needs to win to take the next step as a player and global icon. Doesn't he have enough money? Doesn't staying, building a championship team, and actually accomplishing something feel better than going to a situation that is a few pieces away from dominating the league? At the end of the day I guess all anyone can ask for is to be happy. My question is if he is truly going to be as happy in Miami as he is in Cleveland. He is playing with friends, but he had friends in Cleveland. His city and state loved him and now it will be hard for him to come home. People will devalue his championships IMO, even if somehow he wins 7 or 8 with the Heat. He loses money, and lost a lot of fans all over the country tonight. Is it really worth it? For his sake I hope his answer is yes.

Your first point is that Lebron is more concerned with his brand than with winning. If that was the case, wouldn't he have gone to a major market like LA or NY where he could capitalize on his brand? You say that he "needs to win to take the next step as a player & global icon." That's exactly what LBJ is trying to do by joining D-Wade & Bosh in Miami...win!

You say that "staying, building a championship team, and actually accomplishing something feels better..." LBJ has tried that in Cleveland and it didn't work out well. He's going to Miami, a place that he CHOSE to play (as opposed to being drafted), and has put together a lot of talent. It may or may not pan out to be true, but as of now, Miami has to be one of the favorites to win the Eastern Conference (at least).

You question whether the move was truly about winning, then you go on to say that "people will devalue his championships, even if he wins 7 or 8 with the Heat", suggesting that you think he will win some titles in South Beach.

You say "doesn't he have enough money?", suggesting that this move was all about the money; however, in your last sentence, you say that he'll lose a lot of money because of the move. If he'll lose a lot of money (your words, not mine), then how could the move be about his brand / money?

I understand that you're upset about LBJ choosing the Heat, but don't let your emotions get the best of you...

No we aren't going to compare Cleveland to any of them. But, I don't think we should compare Magic, Kareem, and Worthy to James running to Miami as fast as he can either. I would have actually had respect for LeBron if he'd taken the NY challenge because it would have actually been a challenge.

Kareem started w/ LA? Those guys didn't have to run b/c they were already in LA and Boston. Big difference. They played w/ other Hall of Famers. LBJ played w/ Mo Williams.

Yep, I believe this was LBJ, Wade, and Bosh's plan since the Olympics. He completely sidestepped the question last night when asked. So if that was the case, does Gilbert maybe have a point and LBJ laid down against the Celtics?

Actually he didn't. When asked if they had planned this since playing in the Olympics together he basically said yes, but at that time nothing was set in stone but they knew that they all 3 wanted to play together when they became free agents.

To their employer they will. It was all a big game to James, imo, to dangle in front of the fans... all the way up through the one hour special. While James owes nothing to the fans of Cleveland, I really believe he feels like they (Cleveland) owe him for what he did.

I could understand why he would feel that way. How much money did he make for the city of Cleveland, the Cavaliers and the restaurant and bar owners? Lets not forget the souvenir and sports apparel vendors.

No, my reading comprehension skills are just fine, although your post is extremely difficult to follow, particularly since it started off with a double negative in the 2nd sentence. But, I'll try to explain what I meant.

Your first point is that Lebron is more concerned with his brand than with winning. If that was the case, wouldn't he have gone to a major market like LA or NY where he could capitalize on his brand? You say that he "needs to win to take the next step as a player & global icon." That's exactly what LBJ is trying to do by joining D-Wade & Bosh in Miami...win!

You say that "staying, building a championship team, and actually accomplishing something feels better..." LBJ has tried that in Cleveland and it didn't work out well. He's going to Miami, a place that he CHOSE to play (as opposed to being drafted), and has put together a lot of talent. It may or may not pan out to be true, but as of now, Miami has to be one of the favorites to win the Eastern Conference (at least).

You question whether the move was truly about winning, then you go on to say that "people will devalue his championships, even if he wins 7 or 8 with the Heat", suggesting that you think he will win some titles in South Beach.

You say "doesn't he have enough money?", suggesting that this move was all about the money; however, in your last sentence, you say that he'll lose a lot of money because of the move. If he'll lose a lot of money (your words, not mine), then how could the move be about his brand / money?

I understand that you're upset about LBJ choosing the Heat, but don't let your emotions get the best of you...

I didn't say what I wanted to clearly enough in that. This is how I personally interpret the situation.

-I think that he realizes his brand is best if he wins. Sure NY is a bigger market, but he needs titles more than he needs NY. To me he is concerned about winning, but only because of the benefits off the court. He did not play this post season like a guy that is only about winning to me.

-He's 25. Still has plenty of time to win. A 3 year deal would have put him at 28, what are another 3 years unless you are only concerned about legacy. Did Jordan, Kobe, anyone else join the best? No they wanted to beat the best.

-I could not imagine a scenario where he doesn't win at least a few championship in South Beach.

-As for money, I don't think you leave 30 million on the table unless you think you can make it up. I think he thinks his brand will continue to grow if he starts winning championships. I think he lost alot of fans in this that he could never get back, so I don't know if in the long run it will be as profitable money-wise, even though I believe he thinks it will be.

Kareem started w/ LA? Those guys didn't have to run b/c they were already in LA and Boston. Big difference. They played w/ other Hall of Famers. LBJ played w/ Mo Williams.

Kareem was traded to the Lakers. Who was on the team when he was sent there? And LeBron isn't running to Boston or LA, he's running to Miami a team ran by the guy who will play Batman to his Robin.

It's like LeBron is saying I'm not good enough to win unless I have the best shooting guard in the league not named Kobe Bryant, and possibly the best PF in the game. He has to have a team like that to ensure that he can win titles?

I could understand why he would feel that way. How much money did he make for the city of Cleveland, the Cavaliers and the restaurant and bar owners? Lets not forget the souvenir and sports apparel vendors.

It was reciprocated by selling out the arena, buying his merchandise, etc. Neither owe anyone anything.

Kareem was traded to the Lakers. Who was on the team when he was sent there? And LeBron isn't running to Boston or LA, he's running to Miami a team ran by the guy who will play Batman to his Robin.

It's like LeBron is saying I'm not good enough to win unless I have the best shooting guard in the league not named Kobe Bryant, and possibly the best PF in the game. He has to have a team like that to ensure that he can win titles?

Maybe he wants a team like that. Is this his choice? He was able to go where he wanted right?

It was reciprocated by selling out the arena, buying his merchandise, etc. Neither owe anyone anything.

They had the lowest attendance in the league before he got there. They rewarded him with Mo Williams as a sidekick and a rookie coach and GM. Nice.

-He's 25. Still has plenty of time to win. A 3 year deal would have put him at 28, what are another 3 years unless you are only concerned about legacy. Did Jordan, Kobe, anyone else join the best? No they wanted to beat the best.

I don't know about Jordan, but Kobe actively explored leaving the Lakers on a couple of occasions, and definitely one of those times was because he didn't feel L.A. was doing enough to surround him with talent. It wasn't about money, it was about having the help he needed. And they came through for him. Had Kobe left the Lakers, you think it was going to be to go play for some small market team with average talent?

I didn't say what I wanted to clearly enough in that. This is how I personally interpret the situation.

-I think that he realizes his brand is best if he wins. Sure NY is a bigger market, but he needs titles more than he needs NY. To me he is concerned about winning, but only because of the benefits off the court. He did not play this post season like a guy that is only about winning to me.

-I could not imagine a scenario where he doesn't win at least a few championship in South Beach.

-As for money, I don't think you leave 30 million on the table unless you think you can make it up. I think he thinks his brand will continue to grow if he starts winning championships. I think he lost alot of fans in this that he could never get back, so I don't know if in the long run it will be as profitable money-wise, even though I believe he thinks it will be.

What you're really saying is that you're upset LBJ left Cleveland & now you're trying to discredit the man's decision. As a neutral observer, I have no problem with it and do not think there are too many ulterior motives for the move to SouthBeach.

Your comment about Jordan & Kobe not joining the best team so that they can beat the best is laughable.

They had the lowest attendance in the league before he got there. They rewarded him with Mo Williams as a sidekick and a rookie coach and GM. Nice.

You are not separating the City of Cleveland from the Cavaliers.

What you're really saying is that you're upset LBJ left Cleveland & now you're trying to discredit the man's decision. As a neutral observer, I have no problem with it and do not think there are too many ulterior motives for the move to SouthBeach.

Your comment about Jordan & Kobe not joining the best team so that they can beat the best is laughable.

What Cats is trying to convey is that he is a huge LeBron fan and felt he had a chance to be the best in NBA history. By going this route, he severely butchered that opportunity.