Votto left off NL All Star Team

I 100% agree with MalachiCrunch. The big winner is all this is the Reds fans getting to see 3 or 4 players for the first time since 2003. But, the Votto snub will go down as one of the worst ever. Not in most of our lives has an MVP candidate been left off the roster. And not just a candidate, but probably the leader in the 1st half of the season. Throw in the fact that Votto missed 7 games, wow what would his numbers have been? What is strange is the fact that Manual witnessed first hand Rhodes giving up 3 runs in the only game the Phils won against the Reds and saw Votto just torch the Phils. It would have made more sense if he'd gone the other way with the picks and more justifiable as set up men are left off the roster evey year. One other benefit is the fact that the whole baseball world is talking about the Reds. And they are on ESPN Wednesday night! This team has to walk on water and leave footprints to get noticed. They lead the NL in avg, runs scored, hits, HR's and RBI's. Now everyone gets to hear about why. Also look at this, what does it say about our infield with Rolen, Phillips and possibly Votto making the roster and Cabrera is as good defensively as anyone in the league. This is fun!!! Finally!!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that, but people are in an uproar about it. And I think the 3 guys at 1st ahead of him are deserving. There are plenty of other guys we could make an argument for too: Youk, Weaver, Werth, Garcia from STL has a 2.10 ERA as a rookie. Rasmus leads all center fielders in HR's and RBI's I believe. If stats were the main case then all those guys would be in, but it's not.

Bye the way the Reds do have 3 guys in there, so it's not like they are getting completely snubbed and forgotten.

It's not about Howard, Gonzalez or Pujols making it over Votto. It's about a part time player making it over Votto.

Lets be honest here Votto benefits from playing in a cracker box while Gonzalez plays in a freaking parking lot. Should that count against Votto? No... but all you have to do is look at the stats to see that Votto is significantly better home vs away. 't.

I don't think most have an issue with Gonzalez. However, you and Herd both failed to point out that the 1B he should have made it over also plays in a cracker box.

I have a few things to add but first off I think all of you are too caught up in stats. This is the All-STAR game, not the "best stats over the first half". Sure Votto is having a great year but in a league where 1st base is stacked, it's just tough luck. Who would you replace for Votto? Pujols absolutely not. Gonzalez, no way. And how could Charlie take Votto over his own guy? If it was suppose to be the best players in would they let the fans decide?

Lets be honest here Votto benefits from playing in a cracker box while Gonzalez plays in a freaking parking lot. Should that count against Votto? No... but all you have to do is look at the stats to see that Votto is significantly better home vs away. My point is Gonzalez is the better hitter. Ask any GM in baseball who they would take, and I would guarantee everyone of them says Gonzalez, Pujols, Howard over Votto.

The All-Star is more of what have you done in the past, then recent. Just look at when Cal Ripken Jr, when he was batting in the low .200's, made it or Griffey towards the end of his career. The bottom line is it is a popularity contest and quite frankly outside of Cincinnati not too many people know about Joey Votto.

*It is very interesting that the fans had a chance to vote Votto in, and they didn't. The players had a chance to vote him in, and they didn't. Manager had a chance to put him in, and he didn't.

The difference is not as significant as you make it sound, HRs are lower but that stands to reason since GABP is homer friendly but the other stats are very close

H - 41 games 13 HRs 33 RBIs .316 avg

A - 36 games 6 HRs 24 RBIs .308 avg

Pujols

H - 41 games 8 HRs 32 RBIs .340 avg

A - 40 games 12 HRs 28 RBIs .272 avg

Howard

H - 38 games 8 HRs 33 RBIs .322 avg

A - 42 games 7 HRs 26 RBIs .268 avg

Gonzalez

H - 44 games 6 HRs 21 RBIs .250 avg

A - 36 games 10 HRs 30 RBIs .336 avg

Edited by EZ Living

Votto may have 30 HRs by the break if he keeps this kind of teed off attitude. Hopefully the New York fans will like what they see and hate Wagner enough to vote for Votto.

Edited by EZ Living
bad word

I'm starting to think this is all a big fix, and a way to get folks excited about the all-star game.

Votto is going to make it in the NL, and Youkils in the AL. Just like Philly got all reved up to vote Victorino in.............

Oh well it is fun. Now what if he is voted in, yet Manual doesn't play him or give him an at bat-is that okay?