Jon Voights Letter To Obama

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fault.

My faulty memory tells me that anytime Danny Glover, Sean Penn, or George Clooney is quoted about politics that we as a bunch cry out "why do we care what celebrities think?' "

I'll write that part about "paying" down.

Exactly...reeks of hypocrisy. But, it's politics. What's new?
No, it's just that we've all had it rammed down our throats so often from the so called "tolerable people' that's it's somewhat enjoyable to see them get a dose of their own medicine.

Not quite, Penn is quite hateful and much, much more abrasive.

And Voight acts as if he's on a mission from God to oppose Obama. I didn't say they acted the same, they just are on the fringe of their respective parties.

Well... if God were going to give anyone a political mission in this nation, I'd have to say, that would be a good place to start... :lol:

Haha. But like I said before, Voight would be much better off actually doing something like his daughter rather than spouting off in fringe newspaper.

Was assigned to cover Jon about 20 years ago when he was in Cincinnati to make a presentation for Teacher of the Year. Did the regular taping of his speech and the presentation itself, and then went to do some follow-up questions afterwards. Thought I might get blown off or just given 30 seconds before his "assistants" ushered him out.

Instead, he said "Why don't we do it upstairs in my hotel room where it's quieter." (The presentation was in a downtown Cincinnati hotel's banquet room). So, we went up and sat on his couch and talked for probably 15-20 minutes! He was very gracious and down-to-earth, and spoke with great conviction towards education (which is pretty much all we talked about, since it was the reason for him being in town in the first place).

After I got back to the radio station and was splicing the tape, our news director got a call from him (not one of his assistants). I thought, oh no...what have I done now?!?!?!? Instead he wanted to let the news director know how much pleasure he had doing the interview with me. Even though it's something that I'm sure he wouldn't remember doing, it's something that I'll remember forever. So needless to say, I liked him back then...and after reading his letter, I still like him.

No, it's just that we've all had it rammed down our throats so often from the so called "tolerable people' that's it's somewhat enjoyable to see them get a dose of their own medicine.

I've listened to comments about "Hollyweird" and how that they need to just act and leave the politics alone. Now Jon Voight agrees with the "other" side and suddenly the situation is different, and we should listen...that is hypocrisy at its best.

The difference is that I'm not going to belittle Voight's opinion (since I do, indeed, disagree with most of it) and I won't decide to shut him down and quit watching his movies.