A Stupid Idea?

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good and tolerant Muslims here in America should understand the feelings of those harmed on 9/11 and not rub more salt in the wounds of the families involved... Muslims I've spoken with think it's a bad idea...

I agree, to me it is pure common decency and respect to the all the familiies that lost loved ones. It reminds me of going to Pearl Harbor, if you have ever been, there is an eery feeling, very solemn when you think about what happened there. What gets me is there are always many indiviiduals of Japenese decent, speaking rapid Japanese I think, which I don't claim to know exactly what they are saying , but they are laughing, smiling, and posing for pictures. Kind of like they are proud of what they did- our big triumph over the evil empire of America while the Americans are quietly looking around, not saying a word. This may not make sense but it is a very strange experience I just don't see anything positive that will come from this and wonder why they would think it would be viewed in a positive light- unless that was there original intention.

I don't see the putting a mosque beside Ground Zero as being anymore offensive than the people who try to sell you junk there. You can't even walk around there and try to think about or reflect what 9/11 meant to this country without someone trying to see you a fake Gucci wallet or a hot copy of a DVD.

I agree, to me it is pure common decency and respect to the all the familiies that lost loved ones. It reminds me of going to Pearl Harbor, if you have ever been, there is an eery feeling, very solemn when you think about what happened there. What gets me is there are always many indiviiduals of Japenese decent, speaking rapid Japanese I think, which I don't claim to know exactly what they are saying , but they are laughing, smiling, and posing for pictures. Kind of like they are proud of what they did- our big triumph over the evil empire of America while the Americans are quietly looking around, not saying a word. This may not make sense but it is a very strange experience I just don't see anything positive that will come from this and wonder why they would think it would be viewed in a positive light- unless that was there original intention.

Wow...you have no idea what these people are saying, yet you think the worst of them? Why is that?

Just for the record, the Japanese submarine captain that was responsible for the sinking of the USS Indianapolis testified on behalf of Captain McVay, who ended up being the only captain from WWII that would be court-martialed for the sinking of a Navy ship. The Japanese captain defended McVay and the two became friends in future years.

Perhaps we should take a lesson from these once-sworn enemies and let the old prejudices pass.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

I mean, out of respect of the 9/11 families we should probably round all Muslims up and put them in internment camps like we did the Japanese, right?

• 2 weeks later...

The sole reason I am against this project is not because its muslim's that want to build the mosque but the man who is leading the project, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, and if you try and defend him you are extremely naive and disgusting. He has a radical agenda along with the ideology he shares with the radical muslim's. He refuses to to classify hamas as a terroristic group, which admit that they will not stop their jihad movement until the liberation of Jerusalem. He wanted to name the mosque the "Cordoba House" which references with the spanish capital where muslim conquerors vanquished spanish catholics in the 8th century, but hey he probably just thought the name cordoba was very pretty name. no symbolic meaning or anything.

The sole reason I am against this project is not because its muslim's that want to build the mosque but the man who is leading the project, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, and if you try and defend him you are extremely naive and disgusting. He has a radical agenda along with the ideology he shares with the radical muslim's. He refuses to to classify hamas as a terroristic group, which admit that they will not stop their jihad movement until the liberation of Jerusalem. He wanted to name the mosque the "Cordoba House" which references with the spanish capital where muslim conquerors vanquished spanish catholics in the 8th century, but hey he probably just thought the name cordoba was very pretty name. no symbolic meaning or anything.

I'd love some examples of his "radical agenda". Was it when he said "Fanaticism and terrorism have no place in Islam."?

I guess that this baptist preacher is naive and disgusting.

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/c_welton_gaddy/2010/07/great_irony_in_outcry_over_ground_zero_mosque.html

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the spiritual leader of Masjid Al-Farah mosque in lower Manhattan, has gained a reputation in New York for his interfaith work and his progressive practice of Islam. Together with his wife Daisy Khan, Imam Feisal envisioned devotees to Islam sharing space with other communities to enjoy arts, culture and dialogue. Inspired by the struggle of other religious communities seeking acceptance in America, they set out to establish Cordoba House, named for the Spanish city where Muslims, Jews, and Christians together created one of the most fertile and creative civilizations in the world.

Ok, my advice would be to take 15 minutes, actually read that, and then give me specific examples of HIS radical agenda. Not the alleged agendas of his acquaintences.

That article is 1. poorly written 2. uses dubious examples and 3. takes quotes out of context. I don't know anything about this guy and I am not whole-heartedly defending him, but after 5 minutes of Googling seems your sweeping statements about him aren't based on much.