A Stupid Idea?

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people may feel like this.

"A Muslim couple say they want to "change the narrative" of 9/11 by building a mosque just 600 feet from where the World Trade Center once stood. Good idea? Bad idea? Should this be allowed and who has the right to decide? By the way ... this peace loving Muslim couple has a desire to see the spread of Sharia Law in the United States. This is nothing less than an in-your-face slap at this country and the people who lost friends and family members in the ISLAMIC attack on America nine years ago." Neal Boortz.

I don't know that the couple feels this way, but I'm sure there are many survivors and family members that do. One good reason to build the Mosque somewhere else.

Some serious words here...

"To me, it's a religion of hate," he said of Islam. "There might be some good ones. I don't know them but they haven't stood up and knocked the other ones down. I don't want to go down there on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 and see 2,000 Arabs outside. Maybe they'll start cheering."

I don't know. Where does it end? How far enough away is far enough?

And are we really comfortable declaring that ISLAM, not those terrorists and their group, but Islam itself is offensive enough that it should be kept away from the site? I just don't think I'm prepared for that to be the way things are in this country. I'll be the first person to admit that the direction that religion and the part of the world it thrives in have taken some wrong turns over the last 500 years (interesting history about how the Islamic world turned from the center of intellectual life that discovered algebra into the place it is now), but the concept of branding an entire religion as something "unwelcome" makes me uncomfortable.

And are we really comfortable declaring that ISLAM, not those terrorists and their group, but Islam itself is offensive enough that it should be kept away from the site? I just don't think I'm prepared for that to be the way things are in this country. I'll be the first person to admit that the direction that religion and the part of the world it thrives in have taken some wrong turns over the last 500 years (interesting history about how the Islamic world turned from the center of intellectual life that discovered algebra into the place it is now), but the concept of branding an entire religion as something "unwelcome" makes me uncomfortable.

:thumb:

We're okay with dressing our school kids in white robes and hoods to recreate history, but not with this.

I'm not doing handsprings over either one, to tell the truth.

Some people are too sensitive.

Pretty absurd take on your part. Have you ever taken the time to look around the country to see how many mosques there are? Hardly a country that's branding an entire religion as something "unwelcome".

If you or the others in this thread can't grasp the concept of why this would be an insensitive thing to do then I'm at a total loss of words. It's really not that hard to figure out.