A Stupid Idea?

Pretty absurd take on your part. Have you ever taken the time to look around the country to see how many mosques there are? Hardly a country that's branding an entire religion as something "unwelcome".

If you or the others in this thread can't grasp the concept of why this would be an insensitive thing to do then I'm at a total loss of words. It's really not that hard to figure out.

I'm not going to disagree with your premise at all. It's definitely a stupid idea. But I don't think my point is unreasonable: how far away is far enough?

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty absurd take on your part. Have you ever taken the time to look around the country to see how many mosques there are? Hardly a country that's branding an entire religion as something "unwelcome".

If you or the others in this thread can't grasp the concept of why this would be an insensitive thing to do then I'm at a total loss of words. It's really not that hard to figure out.

I agree that it would appear insensitive on the surface. And I can understand how some would be upset. But is it the responsibility of the government to come in and say what churches can and can't be built in what locations? Should the government establish a perimeter that outlaws certain buildings from being built within? Would this just be another example of "big government" overstepping their bounds and telling people what's right and what's wrong?

Some serious words here...

"To me, it's a religion of hate," he said of Islam. "There might be some good ones. I don't know them but they haven't stood up and knocked the other ones down. I don't want to go down there on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 and see 2,000 Arabs outside. Maybe they'll start cheering."

I understand the quote and it does raise a valid point. I could be disconcerting to some to see a large Muslim population standing at/near Ground Zero. But it seem that much of the United States has never been able to distinguish between Muslim and terrorist. To many it's one-and-the-same. But there were somewhere between 50-100 Muslims who died in the World Trade Center on September 11. They were Americans who died, just as the other 2,500+ were.

Christians in the United States don't want to be associated with Westboro Baptist Church, although outsiders view both as "Christians." Christians don't want to be associated with religious activists who bomb abortion clinics, although outsiders view both as "Christians." We've learned to make a distinction between different groups of Christians. I long for the day when America can make a distinction between different groups of Muslims.

I understand the quote and it does raise a valid point. I could be disconcerting to some to see a large Muslim population standing at/near Ground Zero. But it seem that much of the United States has never been able to distinguish between Muslim and terrorist. To many it's one-and-the-same. But there were somewhere between 50-100 Muslims who died in the World Trade Center on September 11. They were Americans who died, just as the other 2,500+ were.

Christians in the United States don't want to be associated with Westboro Baptist Church, although outsiders view both as "Christians." Christians don't want to be associated with religious activists who bomb abortion clinics, although outsiders view both as "Christians." We've learned to make a distinction between different groups of Christians. I long for the day when America can make a distinction between different groups of Muslims.

Very good points indeed.

Perhaps Muslims could help their own cause for distinction if they would be a little more outspoken about terrorists in their religion. Too many times, they try to have it both ways by claiming they have a peaceful religion in one comment and then expressing sympathetic views toward the cause of the terrorists with another.

Perhaps Muslims could help their own cause for distinction if they would be a little more outspoken about terrorists in their religion. Too many times, they try to have it both ways by claiming they have a peaceful religion in one comment and then expressing sympathetic views toward the cause of the terrorists with another.

Excellent point 5.

Would Iran allow a christian church to be built near their cities?

So the United States should become a theocratic, quasi-dictatorship who oppresses all minorities, including women, in an effort to "be like Iran?" I don't think the U.S. should hold up Iran as a model for how to do things, but that's just my opinion.

No we dont need to be like Iran. But they sure make sure their religion rights are protected.

I think we should do whatever. Does it really matter what anyone thinks. Our Governement is so scared of making some group mad and being sued or look bad in the world eyes.

No we dont need to be like Iran. But they sure make sure their religion rights are protected.

But they protect "their" religious rights at the expense of many other rights. And the nation of Iran is considered an Islamic Republic that has an official state religion. The United States does not have that; therefore the U.S. is not going to make any laws that promote or prohibit one religion over another.

We might not like a mosque at Ground Zero (and I'm among those who certainly have reservations about it), but when we request the government step in and stop the building of a religious building, then we are becoming what we are against.

I think we should do whatever. Does it really matter what anyone thinks. Our Governement is so scared of making some group mad and being sued or look bad in the world eyes.

And what "religion rights" would we be protecting by not allowing a mosque?

I agree that it would appear insensitive on the surface. And I can understand how some would be upset. But is it the responsibility of the government to come in and say what churches can and can't be built in what locations? Should the government establish a perimeter that outlaws certain buildings from being built within? Would this just be another example of "big government" overstepping their bounds and telling people what's right and what's wrong?
I'd say let the people of New York vote on it.