A Stupid Idea?

This country should rise above emotional responses, especially with respect to religious extremists. The Christian extremists in this country have harmed it just as deeply:

The Salem Witch Trials

Repression of Irish and Italian Catholic Immigrants by the Protestants

The bombings of abortion clinics in the name of the Christian faith.

The torture and killing of a gay teen.

Westboro Baptist Church.

The justification of slavery and segregation by Christians.

Repression and Oppression are just as deeply harmful, and frankly, much more long-lasting, and much more wide-spread in acceptance.

All good reasons not to build near the twin towers site... Like my friends said... It would make it worse...

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This country should rise above emotional responses, especially with respect to religious extremists. The Christian extremists in this country have harmed it just as deeply:

The Salem Witch Trials

Westboro Baptist Church.

Repression and Oppression are just as deeply harmful, and frankly, much more long-lasting, and much more wide-spread in acceptance.

What's Christian extremists got to do with this country? Is this a Christian country? I remember arguing this over a year ago when Obama said we were not a Christian nation but a nation of Muslims, atheists and whatever else we wanted to worship. Many posters on here (not necessarily you) have no problem saying we are not a Christian nation until something comes up where they compare Christianity to something negative, then we're a Christian nation again.

If you had lost a son or daughter at the world Trade Center on 9-11 do you think it would be easier to understand why some see it as a bad idea? Would it be just as easy to accept because Christianity has it's share of heretics too?

The Salem Witch Trials

Westboro Baptist Church.

When religious extremists murder thousands of our citizens we should indeed rise above emotional responses, absolutely.

I never said it was a good idea, but they have every right to do so.

The fact is, this is pure and simple religious discrimination, but I shouldn't have expected anything different from the Christian faith....

Did someone say they didn't have a "right" to? Must have been one of those hateful old Christians.

I never said it was a good idea, but they have every right to do so.

The fact is, this is pure and simple religious discrimination, but I shouldn't have expected anything different from the Christian faith....

Someone sounds like they have an issue with the Christian faith... :idunno:

What's Christian extremists got to do with this country? Is this a Christian country? I remember arguing this over a year ago when Obama said we were not a Christian nation but a nation of Muslims, atheists and whatever else we wanted to worship. Many posters on here (not necessarily you) have no problem saying we are not a Christian nation until something comes up where they compare Christianity to something negative, then we're a Christian nation again.

If you had lost a son or daughter at the world Trade Center on 9-11 do you think it would be easier to understand why some see it as a bad idea? Would it be just as easy to accept because Christianity has it's share of heretics too?

:thumb:

I have a few Muslim friends and they think it's a bad idea also.. They think it will only cause more animosity and inflamed emotions against them...
You can bank on the fact that this will cause more harm than good to relations that are already frayed.

Umm, no, that's the PEOPLE....
Voting to allow government oppression of a 1st amendment right.

What about freedom of speech? Should we put that one up for vote? While we are at it...there are occasionally some protesters on Bardstown Rd. that are a pain in my butt to walk around. Would you see if you can get the city of Louisville to allow a vote to have them removed?

I understand you said in P & R, but since you posted in this thread, what did I miss? I thought I read all posts and I can't remember one single "limited government supporter" saying the government should not allow the mosque to be built. I do remember some saying it was a bad/stupid idea or the people of NY should decide. Please refer me to the post where someone said the federal government should not allow the mosque be built. It could be said that supposed unlimited government supporters are easily fooled.

Right here.

And here is my follow up.

I'd be interested to know how many of you who are opposed to this actually know any practicing Muslims...

I know of 20 practicing Muslims.

19 were hijackers who flew into the WTC

1 is osama Bin Laden