Track the Reds (Week 6)

I don't think that bat shattered or splintered to bad. That bat seem two be mostly in two pieces. Is there a difference?

It's a big, projectile chunk of wood, with a sharp edge on it. It could kill or seriously maim someone.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember when part of a shattered bat caught Steve Yeager of the Dodgers in the neck/throat? It was quite scary. I'm thinking he was in the on deck circle.

Steve Yeager

In 1976, Yeager was injured when a piece of Bill Russell's bat shattered and hit him in the neck while in the on-deck circle, piercing his esophagus. He had nine pieces of wood taken out of his neck in 98 minutes of surgery. After the incident, Dodger trainer Bill Buhler invented and patented a throat protector that hangs from the catcher's mask. It was soon worn by most catchers around the Majors and other leagues.

It's a big, projectile chunk of wood, with a sharp edge on it. It could kill or seriously maim someone.

I understand that. I thought I read, they would rather it be in a couple pieces than in hundreds. The wood is what caused that, I don't know if maple shattered or broke solid...

I understand that. I thought I read, they would rather it be in a couple pieces than in hundreds. The wood is what caused that, I don't know if maple shattered or broke solid...

Maple cleaves off in a big chunk. For example, Albert Pujols uses bats between 31-36 ounces. The bulk of the weight of a bat is in the head, so you could have a nearly two-pound projectile with a sharp edge flying through the air. Splinters don't generally cause instant death the way a maple bat is destined to do if their use continues.

Maple cleaves off in a big chunk. For example, Albert Pujols uses bats between 31-36 ounces. The bulk of the weight of a bat is in the head, so you could have a nearly two-pound projectile with a sharp edge flying through the air. Splinters don't generally cause instant death the way a maple bat is destined to do if their use continues.

If a maple bat splintered and syrup poured out would that be considered juicing the bat?:D:D

I am hungry now and need to go pop some Leggo's in the toaster.

27,000 attendabce? If MLB continues ignoring this growing problem I'd hate to see the results in 10 years. They can scream and yell that they have had more parity in their sport than the NFL but almost every team in the NFL thinks this year or the year following is their chance. In MLB teams have 5 and 10 year plans. If you're 18 years old or younger and grew up around the Reds are you really a die hard Reds fan?

:thumb:

Other bats hickory?

Dusty, Dusty, Dusty. Just when you think the guy can't get any dumber. He has to be the dumbest freaking manager in the history of baseball. I can't wait to see the idiot explain that move. :madman::madman::ohbrother: