Track the Reds (Week 6)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needed the run to tie the game.

Leake had given up all 3 runs in the previous inning and was heading into the 8th.

Thought you guys were worried about too much pitching for Leake?

Who is you guys? Hernandez is the one that needed to be pinch run for, not Leake. Leake runs very well.

Who is you guys? Hernandez is the one that needed to be pinch run for, not Leake. Leake runs very well.

I would agree with pinch running for Hernandez. That was a mistake to not.

But after it was made and Leake made it to 2nd, it was time to pinch run for him again.

As far as you guys, I keep reading on here how Dusty is mishandling Leake by letting him pitch too much. Than he pulls him out in the bottom of the 7th and someone wants to know what he is getting pulled out. Dusty is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't on BGP.

I

But after it was made and Leake made it to 2nd, it was time to pinch run for him again.

How I saw it was, Dusty had a feeling Leake should of been at 3rd and not 2nd after that hit. So he wanted to make sure on the next hit whoever was on 2nd made it home.

How I saw it was, Dusty had a feeling Leake should of been at 3rd and not 2nd after that hit. So he wanted to make sure on the next hit whoever was on 2nd made it home.

Can't comment on that. I was listening on the radio and it was not mentioned about a lack of hustle or base running ability of Leake.

The lack of a move by Dusty for Hernandez WAS questioned by Brantley.

I would agree with pinch running for Hernandez. That was a mistake to not.

As far as you guys, I keep reading on here how Dusty is mishandling Leake by letting him pitch too much. Than he pulls him out in the bottom of the 7th and someone wants to know what he is getting pulled out. Dusty is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't on BGP.

The only thing I've read is that the Reds are going to have a tough decision to make on Leake later in the year because he only pitched something like 162 innings last year. Dusty has been very good with Leake this year IMO. There might have been one start that might be questionable, and I think he let him go 114 or so pitches this game. I agree with Homer Bailey in that I believe pitch counts are overrated. When did pitchers start becoming such wimps? I don't ever remember pitch counts back in the 70's when most teams went with a 4 man rotation.

No way Leake should have been on 3rd on the hit by Cabrerra.

Can't comment on that. I was listening on the radio and it was not mentioned about a lack of hustle or base running ability of Leake.

There wasn't. I think Dusty wanted to make sure that if possible he got that run in from second without putting Leake in harms way.

The only thing I've read is that the Reds are going to have a tough decision to make on Leake later in the year because he only pitched something like 162 innings last year. Dusty has been very good with Leake this year IMO. There might have been one start that might be questionable, and I think he let him go 114 or so pitches this game.
As long as Dusty keeps Leake's pitch counts reasonable, there is no reason Leake couldn't stay in the rotation all year and give the Reds 180 solid innings.

Of course, that's asking a lot of Dusty.

I don't ever remember pitch counts back in the 70's when most teams went with a 4 man rotation.
The first I heard of pitch counts was with Fernando Valenzuela in the early and mid 80s ... Tommy Lasorda let him rack up some ungodly ones.

I have no research to support it, but I suspect the patient "Moneyball" approach taken by so many hitters these days had resulted in pitchers having higher pitches per at-bat and higher pitch counts.

I think he should have pinch run for Hernandez and pinch hit for Leake. Leake had given up three runs in the previous inning. No way he was going back out to pitch in the 8th. Votto bailed the Reds out today with the homer.