Bob Knight Cusses a Group of College Graduates

Wireman

So instead of attacking me and the post, how about you actually try to answer the question. Why are these words seen as being so bad? I'm not sure where you work, but I've never been in a corporate setting where foul language wasn't a norm....:idunno:

I have to agree. I was shocked at how often foul language is used and tolerated in the work place. It's just words.:idunno:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found this to be an extremely lame argument. Sure, I try to express myself in ways without profanity -- my job requires it. But letting off a few expletives to release frustration is a very effective tool for managing stress.

I would recommend you watch Hunter S. Thompson's movie about the most expressive word in the English language, but you probably think one of the greatest writers of the 20th century is dumb because he cursed a lot.

Actually, if you'd read my post a little closer, you'd see that I certainly admitted to using a curse word on occasion and in the proper setting. But I use them infrequently and I don't use them in certain situations - such as when I'm around very young children or in a business environment. Thanks for the recommended read - I'll pass, though feel free to suggest other invaluable Schue recommended readings I can dismiss.

Edited by cooperstown

OK, since "the setting" seems to be at issue with some, I ask: Why go somewhere Robert Montgomery Knight is speaking if you don't expect to hear some foul language at some point? If anything, the university screwed up because they had to know RMK would let a few loose. A tiger can't change its stripes.

Because the setting was a college graduation ceremony where you rarely, if ever, hear a speech laced with profanity. One would have logically assumed that even rockhead Knight would have tailored his speech appropriately.

I don't appreciate your implication that my parents were negligent in my upbringing, but whatever. Every curse word I heard from my parents I probably heard 100x more often on the playground. Whether I have/had kids is totally irrelevant as well; doesn't mean I think they should be using curse words. I just don't understand the righteous indignation from some folks over words that their kids have heard a lot more than they want to believe.

I'm guessing "heck" and "shoot" and "gosh darn" is about as racy as it gets in your household? Maybe even a "golly-gee-willikers" if you're really upset? :rolleyes:

Gee, a little sensitive? I don't recall disparaging your parents. You implied that you repeatedly heard foul language as a very young child. I simply assumed it was heard in your home. If not, my bad. And if you did, I sincerely mean it when I say that's great. Their choice to raise you as they saw fit. Foul language was not a part of my house growing up nor part of my home as I raise my kids. I choose to make it that way, but certainly recognize they hear the words all the time at school. So be it. I hear such words on a regular basis in my profession. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and, as I said, I use them myself on occasion.

And I don't appreciate your off-base implication that I'm self-righteous and or somehow backwards in the way I raise my children. Perhaps if you actually had some of your own kids you might have a bit more meaningful and insightful perspective on the appropriateness of regularly using foul language around young children. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by cooperstown
spelling

Bob Knight rips Coach Cal as being a cheater but yet he can kick his own son on the bench-choke a player in practice-curse when young childeren are present-throw a chair across the gym and numerous other things in his lifetime. He is also a very bad announcer.:confused:

You left out the "accidental" head butt. The General is such a class act.

:rolleyes:

I've always found this to be an extremely lame argument. Sure, I try to express myself in ways without profanity -- my job requires it. But letting off a few expletives to release frustration is a very effective tool for managing stress.

I would recommend you watch Hunter S. Thompson's movie about the most expressive word in the English language, but you probably think one of the greatest writers of the 20th century is dumb because he cursed a lot.

:thumb: I love Hunter S. Thompson!

I think you guys are putting way too much faith in these "young kids" you mention that they would actually be paying attention to a speech. How many little kids sit riveted in church listening to the sermon?

And as far as the curse words go, do you really think their "virgin ears" have never heard such utterances? I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty well-versed in Expletives 101 when I was in kindergarten. I think some of you have pretty short memories about your own childhoods as well.

Now you've gone and got personal on me! :irked:

I'll have you know the kids in my church stay wide awake.

It's the parents that sleep. :D :lol:

Gee, a little sensitive? I don't recall disparaging your parents. You implied that you repeatedly heard foul language as a very young child. I simply assumed it was heard in your home. If not, my bad. And if you did, I sincerely mean it when I say that's great. Their choice to raise you as they saw fit. Foul language was not a part of my house growing up nor part of my home as I raise my kids. I choose to make it that way, but certainly recognize they hear the words all the time at school. So be it. I hear such words on a regular basis in my profession. It doesn't bother me in the slightest and, as I said, I use them myself on occasion.

And I don't appreciate your off-base implication that I'm self-righteous and or somehow backwards in the way I raise my children. Perhaps if you actually had some of your own kids you might have a bit more meaningful and insightful perspective on the appropriateness of regularly using foul language around young children. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While I don't have children, all of my friends do, so I'm around kids all the time. I'm just like anybody else in that I censor myself for their benefit.

While I don't have children, all of my friends do, so I'm around kids all the time. I'm just like anybody else in that I censor myself for their benefit.

I should hope so. Interesting that the same is not expected of Bobby Knight.

That is all I was saying...a time and a place for everything. I find it to be a respect thing I guess. I'm not "above" using foul language. I just choose to not do it around people that I think it may offend.

I should hope so. Interesting that the same is not expected of Bobby Knight.

That is all I was saying...a time and a place for everything. I find it to be a respect thing I guess. I'm not "above" using foul language. I just choose to not do it around people that I think it may offend.

However, my point of "It's Bob Knight. What did you really expect?" still stands. He's in his 70s, and it's awful late in the game to be asking a man of that age to change his ways. Especially Knight, who is about as hard-headed and set in his ways as it gets.

However, my point of "It's Bob Knight. What did you really expect?" still stands. He's in his 70s, and it's awful late in the game to be asking a man of that age to change his ways. Especially Knight, who is about as hard-headed and set in his ways as it gets.

Well, as much as it pains me :D, I will agree with you on this point. Not the best choice IMO for a college commencement ceremony speaker and they had to know they were taking a risk. It still doesn't make Knight's choice of words appropriate or absolve him of the responsibility to maintain some decorum in a family-oriented ceremony of that setting. Some how, some way, I think even Knight could have managed to have given a short speech without filling it with profanities. Perhaps that's why he's best served as a speaker in a locker room.

Very valid point.