Bob Knight Cusses a Group of College Graduates

Wireman

I think you guys are putting way too much faith in these "young kids" you mention that they would actually be paying attention to a speech. How many little kids sit riveted in church listening to the sermon?

And as far as the curse words go, do you really think their "virgin ears" have never heard such utterances? I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty well-versed in Expletives 101 when I was in kindergarten. I think some of you have pretty short memories about your own childhoods as well.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. You don't have - nor have you ever had - young kids. Just a guess. Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm sitting at my son's college graduation ceremony, I really don't want to spend my time explaining certain words to a very young sibling. Great that you heard those words at a young age in your house. They aren't used in mine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you guys are putting way too much faith in these "young kids" you mention that they would actually be paying attention to a speech. How many little kids sit riveted in church listening to the sermon?

And as far as the curse words go, do you really think their "virgin ears" have never heard such utterances? I don't know about you guys, but I was pretty well-versed in Expletives 101 when I was in kindergarten. I think some of you have pretty short memories about your own childhoods as well.

:thumb: Excellent point. Pretty much exactly what I've been saying.

I know what you and Hoopboy are saying and do understand. However, I have tried to raise my kids to understand that there are certain words we should not use in everyday language and IMHO, not at all. But when they are used in a public speech it is much different than what little kids hear on the playground as 'taboo' words. I don't want to see foul language normalized the same as normal everyday adjectives, nouns, verbs, etc.

I know what you and Hoopboy are saying and do understand. However, I have tried to raise my kids to understand that there are certain words we should not use in everyday language and IMHO, not at all. But when they are used in a public speech it is much different than what little kids hear on the playground as 'taboo' words. I don't want to see foul language normalized the same as normal everyday adjectives, nouns, verbs, etc.

So that goes back to my question....why are these words viewed as so bad? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if they were used more often, the negative connotation would be removed from them?

So that goes back to my question....why are these words viewed as so bad? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if they were used more often, the negative connotation would be removed from them?

Hopefully you are kidding. If not, why don't you take the lead on this paradigm shift? Start throwing out f-bombs and g-d's at work, church, your child's school functions, family gatherings, wherever you want. Be sure to get back to us and let us know how it's going.

So instead of attacking me and the post, how about you actually try to answer the question. Why are these words seen as being so bad? I'm not sure where you work, but I've never been in a corporate setting where foul language wasn't a norm....:idunno:

So instead of attacking me and the post, how about you actually try to answer the question. Why are these words seen as being so bad? I'm not sure where you work, but I've never been in a corporate setting where foul language wasn't a norm....:idunno:

Wasn't really an "attack" on you or your post.

All words have meanings. Society decided a long time ago that certain words were associated with actions/behaviors/ideas considered taboo, unclean, disrespectful.

Generally speaking, it's always been my opinion that it shows a general lack of intelligence when someone can't clearly communicate their thoughts without filling their speech with foul language. Not claiming I don't infrequently use them myself - I do - but just don't see the need to use such words with any frequency. I'm intelligent enough to convey my feelings/opinions without using words that society has deemed inappropriate.

Wasn't really an "attack" on you or your post.

All words have meanings. Society decided a long time ago that certain words were associated with actions/behaviors/ideas considered taboo, unclean, disrespectful.

Generally speaking, it's always been my opinion that it shows a general lack of intelligence when someone can't clearly communicate their thoughts without filling their speech with foul language. Not claiming I don't infrequently use them myself - I do - but just don't see the need to use such words with any frequency. I'm intelligent enough to convey my feelings/opinions without using words that society has deemed inappropriate.

Yeah, and with time meanings of words change....For example, in today's world the word "pimp" is no where close to what it was back 30-40 years ago.

I'm not saying it should be used, but I also don't understand why society gets all up in arms when someone uses a few choice words.

It has nothing to do with the obvious fact that they have heard and probably use the words, it all goes back to the setting. I have a 10 year old daughter and I just because I'll say things in front of friends/coworkers doesn't mean that I'll say that in front of her.

I'm going to go out on a limb here. You don't have - nor have you ever had - young kids. Just a guess. Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm sitting at my son's college graduation ceremony, I really don't want to spend my time explaining certain words to a very young sibling. Great that you heard those words at a young age in your house. They aren't used in mine.

I don't appreciate your implication that my parents were negligent in my upbringing, but whatever. Every curse word I heard from my parents I probably heard 100x more often on the playground. Whether I have/had kids is totally irrelevant as well; doesn't mean I think they should be using curse words. I just don't understand the righteous indignation from some folks over words that their kids have heard a lot more than they want to believe.

I'm guessing "heck" and "shoot" and "gosh darn" is about as racy as it gets in your household? Maybe even a "golly-gee-willikers" if you're really upset? :rolleyes:

If that is your true reasoning, then why not put XXX rated movies on at mainstream theaters...nudity on network television...drug use at schools...let's just remove all negative connotations from what society has put in place. I think just because something is used reguarly, it doesn't make it "right in society's eyes".

It has nothing to do with the obvious fact that they have heard and probably use the words, it all goes back to the setting. I have a 10 year old daughter and I just because I'll say things in front of friends/coworkers doesn't mean that I'll say that in front of her.

OK, since "the setting" seems to be at issue with some, I ask: Why go somewhere Robert Montgomery Knight is speaking if you don't expect to hear some foul language at some point? If anything, the university screwed up because they had to know RMK would let a few loose. A tiger can't change its stripes.

I've always found this to be an extremely lame argument. Sure, I try to express myself in ways without profanity -- my job requires it. But letting off a few expletives to release frustration is a very effective tool for managing stress.

I would recommend you watch Hunter S. Thompson's movie about the most expressive word in the English language, but you probably think one of the greatest writers of the 20th century is dumb because he cursed a lot.

If that is your true reasoning, then why not put XXX rated movies on at mainstream theaters...nudity on network television...drug use at schools...let's just remove all negative connotations from what society has put in place. I think just because something is used reguarly, it doesn't make it "right in society's eyes".

What bad comes from the use of curse words? None.

As far as nudity on TV goes, most countries outside the US already have that, and their children seem to turn out fine....:idunno:

The whole drug comparison is stupid and I won't even dignify it with a response.