Proposal #1 - In regards to public schools

Oldbird

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To make kids that want to attend an out-of-district school be committed to that school and just not simply going there for athletics. Period.

Wrong. There are plenty of examples of part of the state where there is not a Catholic school in a 20 mile radius. If they make that exception for the rule or the closest private school to you, then I have no problem.

Wrong. There are plenty of examples of part of the state where there is not a Catholic school in a 20 mile radius. If they make that exception for the rule or the closest private school to you, then I have no problem.

If a parent who does not have a Catholic school within 20 miles chooses not to send their child to a Catholic school SIMPLY because of the one-year sit rule is not the right candidate for a Catholic school. Period.

How does this rule apply to those sports that allow kids to play varsity below the high school level. (ie wreslting alows 7th and 8th grade students to wrestle varsity)

They have to be in the defined district.

Also, does this apply to Jv/freshman/middle school teams. If not then it will not affect many athletes.

Grades 9 through 12 regardless of level of play.

If a parent who does not have a Catholic school within 20 miles chooses not to send their child to a Catholic school SIMPLY because of the one-year sit rule is not the right candidate for a Catholic school. Period.

How about you let us decide who is a good candidate for a Catholic school. If I want to use a Lear jet to fly my kid in every morning from Paducah, that is my business.

How about you let us decide who is a good candidate for a Catholic school. If I want to use a Lear jet to fly my kid in every morning from Paducah, that is my business.

What does the mode of transportation have to do with anything I've posted?

What right does the state have to tell me as a parent where I can send my child. This thought process drives me crazy.

That's what no one is really comprehending...

People who don't have open enrollment are endorsing this as saying that we should change, while it is their own school board who has made the decision to stay in the prehistoric era.

My point is that it is grossly discriminatory to a kid to ask them to sit out. How far the kid travels to school is nobodys business.

It very well may be discriminatory. I'm not debating that.

What I am trying to say to those who will put aside their hatred of the KHSAA is that if the ability to play sports your freshman year at a Catholic school is going to be the make or break factor, you're not going to the Catholic school for the right reason. Period. I don't know how I can be any clearer.

My point exactly. KHSAA has set forth rules in which participating schools must obey. If a school does not want to follow those rules they have the option of not joining KHSAA.

Is it right that an athlete who turns 19 on August 2nd cannot participate but that athlete who turns 19 on July 31st can? (I'm not exactly sure on the cut off date).

Is it fair that an athlete cannot participate because he had an injury that caused him to miss school and be retained?

There are several rules that can be argued, but they are set up to try and keep equality.

I don't want to see the private schools leave, some of the restrictions are outlandish, but some make sense. You can't have the cake and eat it too forever.