Proposal #1 - In regards to public schools

Oldbird

Ok I'm going to give a what if question here.

In Cincinnati they had a school called C.A.P.E. (I believe it stood for Cincinnati Acadamy of Physical Education). I don't know the spacifics but they catered to the athletes, and they needed to pass some sort of exam (which I believe was an activity/sports exam).

What if a school like this opened in KY. They would be outright recruiting individuals on their athletic ability/sports ability.

This school, if it were a private school, could recruit the best football (this seems to be the thorn) players in KY.

Would this school be able to participate in KHSAA?

BTW I believe this school was forced to close.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be impossible since most private schools serve more than 1 school district.

There are only 39 private schools in the state, plus its hard for a school like Covington Holy Cross where a majority of students in Covinton attend Holmes.

But what if you said that the private school can only draw athletes from within the county that the school resides?

The way it will work, I'd imagine, is that the school will draw a straight line north 20 miles, the same for south, east, and west. They will then use those 4 points to form a circle. If the student lives inside that cirlce, they're within the 20 miles. If they're on the outside, they're not "in district".

Yes that is how it would be done. All of the area inside the circle would equal 1257 square miles.

That's what no one is really comprehending...

People who don't have open enrollment are endorsing this as saying that we should change, while it is their own school board who has made the decision to stay in the prehistoric era.

or stay true to the purpose of their mission and educate the youth in THEIR community.

I understand and agree here's just one exception. Our goal is to educate these student-athletes and to help prepare them for the game of life also. They must enter the workforce or continue their education. If a student-athlete has a chance to receive an academic scholarship, the best education will certainly enhance those options, I'm sure all would agree.

Now if that same student-athlete, has a chance to receive an athletic scholarship because of his/her accomplishments on the field and in the classroom, then transferring would force them to set out a year and quite possibly take away that option of that scholarship and getting their college education paid for, which would certainly relieve a tremendous burden on the guardians. What if that student-athlete was a Sophomore, Junior and had to transfer, just to keep that possibility of a scholarship alive but must leave an institution that they have been at since K-10, then transfer to the school within their territory, that significantly declines in education and athletics, then the student-athlete has suffered. I have a problem with that.

Not only K-12, but say a child transferred for his high school education. Say he was in school A's district but went to school B during high school but both within the same county. Say this child is a Junior this year and this prop passes. Would the child have to transfer back to be considered eligible if at all in that circumstance. Because technically transferring back to school A's district would violate another law and result in an ineligibility either way. I have some problems with almost all these proposals. Were talking of our future, sports may be extracirricular but yet it is so important in teaching life lessons. Doing this to one would destroy their life, making them lose chances at furthering their athletic career and maybe even academic.

Trust me , oldschool, the KHSAA is NOT going to use your interpretation of what a 20 mile radius is.

A 20 mile radius clearly means a circle with radius = 20 (i.e. 20 miles as the crow flies, not a 20 mile drive). Basing the 20 mile rule on driving distance would be needlessly complicated and ambiguous.

A 20 mile radius clearly means a circle with radius = 20 (i.e. 20 miles as the crow flies, not a 20 mile drive). Basing the 20 mile rule on driving distance would be needlessly complicated and ambiguous.

There'd be a lot of private roads built... :lol: