Proposal #1 - In regards to public schools

Oldbird

NO public school has a 20 mile radius zone. The districts are already set and not one school is even close to a 20 mile district.
There are a number of counties with schools on one side of the county with students commuting across the county to get to school that this 20 mile radius would affect. Pike County is a possibility here, and if you went by road miles rather than straight line miles, Greenup County would be in the running too.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of counties with schools on one side of the county with students commuting across the county to get to school that this 20 mile radius would affect. Pike County is a possibility here, and if you went by road miles rather than straight line miles, Greenup County would be in the running too.

There's some communties in Breathitt County where it's a 35 mile bus trip to the high school. I bet there are distances in Perry and Letcher that exceeds that.

Some parents that choose schools, within a county or pay tuition to attend out of District schools, do so for academic and athletic reasons. I would be extremely upset if I was told my child had to attend school "Z" because they were the school within my district, which may be in the bottom of the state in test scores, limited curriculum, minimal funding, or just simply not as good as others but school "Y" is excelling in academics, excellent teachers, administration and maybe that child attended from K-8, but with this proposal no longer have the option of attending.

This proposal will cause "For Sale" signs to be in many front yards, if adopted.

None? Whitley County sure looks pretty big to me.

When I looked up the sizes of all the counties in Ky the largest was Christian. With under 800 square miles.

In my last post I states that a 20 mile radius equals 1256 square miles. Threfore much larger than any other district in KY.

Here is the web site

http://www.uky.edu/KentuckyAtlas/kentucky-counties.html

Some parents that choose schools, within a county or pay tuition to attend out of District schools, do so for academic and athletic reasons. I would be extremely upset if I was told my child had to attend school "Z" because they were the school within my district, which may be in the bottom of the state in test scores, limited curriculum, minimal funding, or just simply not as good as others but school "Y" is excelling in academics, excellent teachers, administration and maybe that child attended from K-8, but with this proposal no longer have the option of attending.

This proposal will cause "For Sale" signs to be in many front yards, if adopted.

You have been told that you must attend school "Z" already. I would say 90% of the poeple that I know don't even consider leaving the school district they live in. Most people realize you MUST attend the school district you live in or attend a private school.

The "for sale" signs already occur for those who want to attend out of district schools. (At least it occurs in NKY often). I have seen it happen in Campbell Co. numerous times so their child can attend Highlands, Beechwood, Boone Co. for football, and Campbell Co. for wrestling. (They were all bonified change of address)

When I looked up the sizes of all the counties in Ky the largest was Christian. With under 800 square miles.

In my last post I states that a 20 mile radius equals 1256 square miles. Threfore much larger than any other district in KY.

Here is the web site

http://www.uky.edu/KentuckyAtlas/kentucky-counties.html

Trust me , oldschool, the KHSAA is NOT going to use your interpretation of what a 20 mile radius is.

Strike3, where does the proposal say that your child cannot attend the school of your choice?

I've stated this over and over again and some are now swearing that athletics are part of the "educational experience." When I went to school it was an extracurricular activity and a privilege to play.

I've stated this over and over again and some are now swearing that athletics are part of the "educational experience." When I went to school it was an extracurricular activity and a privilege to play.

If it was not part of the educational experience then why would you have them at school. They are apart of the experience as much as student council, Academic team or drama club. All this things together help make the true educational experience.

Strike3, where does the proposal say that your child cannot attend the school of your choice?
If I understand Proposal #1 correctly, a student may not participate in interscholastic athletics, if that student-athlete lives outside of a school's territory. In other words, that child must either live in or move into and establish a bonafide residence, to be eligible.

It also doesn't clearly deal with the issue of current students or students, that have been attending a certain system since K-8.

If it was not part of the educational experience then why would you have them at school. They are apart of the experience as much as student council, Academic team or drama club. All this things together help make the true educational experience.

I don't think anyone will argue that high school sports, especially for girls, is anything but positive. However, they're not mandatory. Latin doesn't have a football team yet I don't think that's keeping those kids from enjoying the experience of high school.

No one loves high school sports more than I but its just one part of the high school experience and its only for a relatively small portion of the kids.

No, they're extracurricular activities and have been labeled as such. I agree that it's a huge part of being a student however, you're kidding yourself if you think that this will hinder any child from getting a quality education.

If I understand Proposal #1 correctly, a student may not participate in interscholastic athletics, if that student-athlete lives outside of a school's territory. In other words, that child must either live in or move into and establish a bonafide residence, to be eligible.

It also doesn't clearly deal with the issue of current students or students, that have been attending a certain system since K-8.

1. You are slightly correct in your interpretation. IF you live outside of the a school's territory, you have to sit for one year before you can play sports - not your entire high school career.

2. I think the fact that it does not say anything about out-of-district kids already in a school system says that they, too, shall sit. I'm guessing there may be more written in if passed for those already in grades 9-12.

I like someone's idea of putting a timeframe on their eligibility. If a kid starts out at one of the "feeder" schools. (I use feeder loosely, for publics and privates.) Maybe you put a 4th grade mandate or 3rd. This will take care of the supposed recruiting that takes place as they get older.