Could Miles Simpson be on Kelly's radar?

Frank329

:thumb:

The other thing I do not think people are taking into consideration is all of these football players do not get full rides. It is over $50K to go there a year per their website. We know that AC can afford to go there but can Simpson truly afford this type or even half of this tuition cost? I am just throwing this out. You can only get so many grants and so many student loans. That is alot of debt to be in after a 4 or 5 year education.

I thought that Division 1 cannot give partial football scholarships? I know they have a limit of 85 total.

Edited by doubledeuce

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's the exception, but my 14 year old knows quite a bit about Notre Dame, and he was amazed when I told him that Collinsworth was going there. I think ND is still in the top 10 in merchandise sales in the US.

Maybe my son is the product of a football junky, but I think more kids know about ND then some are giving them credit for.

A blanket statement is probably not a good thing to make, but I think your son is definitely the exception. Earlier this year, I spent some time talking about colleges with some local HS students. The subject of Notre Dame came up. Many were completely unaware of ND's rich tradition. Almost none had any desire to play for ND. Almost none - even the Catholics - said they were fans of the Irish.

This was not a one-time sitdown with 5 or 6 kids. I talked with football players, cross-country runners, basketball players, and baseball players. Although the discussions were very informal - hardly a scientific survey - the results were clear: today's kids aren't all that caught up with the ND mystique. And why should they? What has ND done of significance in their lifetimes??? To these kids, the story of Harvard's legendary early football teams has about as much relevance...

Some kids have a greater sense of history, and certainly, there are those who would like to go to ND because they're Catholics or for academic reasons... but football is definitely not the draw it was for my generation. If ND offered a scholarship to you when I was in school (late 70s), it was almost an automatic.

Any kid that attends a game and gets the full recruitment weekend thrown on them at ND will come away blown away by the ND experience...There are not many other places and traditions in college football like it. They still know how to recruit and I can only think Kelly will make it even better. BTW, I absolutely HATE ND and believe me, I shouldn't as my first cousin played there and was amongst the best to ever play there. I just bleed UK Blue and hope Miles makes the right decision and goes to KY.

D1 schools are "All or nothing". They can not give partial scholarships.

D1AA, D2 and NAIA are not technically called scholarships, they are called "equivalents", they have a set amount of equivalents, depending on level of play. They can give partially equivalents to players, normally they find out your financial aid package then add some of an equivalent to that and make you an offer. That is why grades are so important to these level schools, they can get you more academic money and use less of their equivalents on you and give to someone else who doesn't qualify for as much academic money.

Which is all covered by the scholarship. Maybe I am missing your point???

OK, sorry I misread the post and I am under the impression you can give a partial scholarship. Maybe I am wrong on that (read my comment below).

For the other person who said it was all or nothing in Div I, I am not so sure that is correct. Is that just for football? I have worked with plenty of athletes who get partial scholarships and they have gone to Div I schools but they were not football players.

OK, sorry I misread the post and I am under the impression you can give a partial scholarship. Maybe I am wrong on that (read my comment below).

For the other person who said it was all or nothing in Div I, I am not so sure that is correct. Is that just for football? I have worked with plenty of athletes who get partial scholarships and they have gone to Div I schools but they were not football players.

Football and basketball are full rides across the board in D1...

^ But how do you explain them being the lead story on ESPN

every time there is any football news? ESPN's main demographic I would think is about 14 to 24 year olds.

They're still certainly newsworthy, but primarily for three reasons:

1) they've been the NCAA soap-opera throughout the Willingham and Weiss eras...

2) they play a great schedule (and lose), so they're always a lead story. When you play Michigan, USC, etc., etc., you're always going to be a lead story...

3) at least one network - NBC - has a vested interest in keeping ND as a lead story, for obvious reasons.

ND has rich, rich tradition, no doubt. And I don't doubt anything anyone's saying about the "Notre Dame experience" or their ability to recruit. I'm just telling you what I hear from HS athletes - which is that Notre Dame's "tradition" means nothing to them, and that ND is not all that attractive to them. They might say something completely different after being "wined and dined" during a recruitment process, but I wasn't talking with kids who were being recruited. I was talking with a wide range of HS kids and the ones I've spoken with are more impressed by the teams that have been the most successful during their short lifetimes... and that hasn't been ND. It's nothing more than the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome...

You know what they say about the difference between cereal and Notre Dame...

Cereal belongs in a bowl.

You have to remember, these kids have no knowledge of Notre Dame as a football power. Notre Dame last won a national championship well before any of these kids were born. To these kids on the football field, Notre Dame is not much different than a UK or UC based on the last 15 years. Someone help me out, but I will take a wild guess and say UK has won more bowl games than Notre Dame the past 15 years. So the football attraction to ND is only there if it was ingrained in you by your parents.

Your right. UK and UC come on right after ND every wk on NBC primetime. Yep, and UC can go undefeated in the Big East every yr and not get a shot at a Natl Title game. And ND? Quit playing down ND. This generation of kids are the smartest electronically inclined people of all time. They are not ignorant. Google search ND football and they will soon figure out how big time of a program the Irish is. :thumb: How is that saying go about ND? " you either love em or hate em". Your colors are obviously not Blue and Gold nor Blue and White. :laugh: 20n10

They're still certainly newsworthy, but primarily for three reasons:

1) they've been the NCAA soap-opera throughout the Willingham and Weiss eras...

2) they play a great schedule (and lose), so they're always a lead story. When you play Michigan, USC, etc., etc., you're always going to be a lead story...

3) at least one network - NBC - has a vested interest in keeping ND as a lead story, for obvious reasons.

ND has rich, rich tradition, no doubt. And I don't doubt anything anyone's saying about the "Notre Dame experience" or their ability to recruit. I'm just telling you what I hear from HS athletes - which is that Notre Dame's "tradition" means nothing to them, and that ND is not all that attractive to them. They might say something completely different after being "wined and dined" during a recruitment process, but I wasn't talking with kids who were being recruited. I was talking with a wide range of HS kids and the ones I've spoken with are more impressed by the teams that have been the most successful during their short lifetimes... and that hasn't been ND. It's nothing more than the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome...

You know what they say about the difference between cereal and Notre Dame...

Cereal belongs in a bowl.

Would you like to elaborate on the obvious reasons NBC is interested in ND.

Also, why would you ask HS kids a question about something they cant have in the first place. Thats like asking a little kid if he wants a pop sicle or a Steak for dinner. :laugh:20n10

Would you like to elaborate on the obvious reasons NBC is interested in ND.

Also, why would you ask HS kids a question about something they cant have in the first place. Thats like asking a little kid if he wants a pop sicle or a Steak for dinner. :laugh:20n10

Are you not familiar with the very highly-publicized contract NBC has with Notre Dame?? Many years ago, NBC signed a 10 year contract to be the exclusive broadcaster for every Notre Dame football game. ALL Notre Dame games are broadcast via NBC. By contract; not by choice.

Notre Dame is the lead story on NBC not because of their merits, but rather because of a CONTRACT.

And they've been trying to get out of the contract for several years now. For reasons that are much more obvious. :lol:

Are you not familiar with the very highly-publicized contract NBC has with Notre Dame?? Many years ago, NBC signed a 10 year contract to be the exclusive broadcaster for every Notre Dame football game. ALL Notre Dame games are broadcast via NBC. By contract; not by choice.

Notre Dame is the lead story on NBC not because of their merits, but rather because of a CONTRACT.

And they've been trying to get out of the contract for several years now. For reasons that are much more obvious. :lol:

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I find it kinda odd given that NBC is trying to get out of the ND contract that they would do something so stupid as they did in June of 2008 and agree to a five year extension of said contract to have the exclusive broadcast rights to all ND home games from the 2011 to 2015 seasons. This will extend the relationship that Notre Dame has had with NC to 25 years as they first began to broadcast Irish home games it was was to be a series of 5 year contracts beginning back in 1991.