Could Miles Simpson be on Kelly's radar?

Frank329

You have to remember, these kids have no knowledge of Notre Dame as a football power. Notre Dame last won a national championship well before any of these kids were born. To these kids on the football field, Notre Dame is not much different than a UK or UC based on the last 15 years. Someone help me out, but I will take a wild guess and say UK has won more bowl games than Notre Dame the past 15 years. So the football attraction to ND is only there if it was ingrained in you by your parents.

Your right. UK and UC come on right after ND every wk on NBC primetime. Yep, and UC can go undefeated in the Big East every yr and not get a shot at a Natl Title game. And ND? Quit playing down ND. This generation of kids are the smartest electronically inclined people of all time. They are not ignorant. Google search ND football and they will soon figure out how big time of a program the Irish is. :thumb: How is that saying go about ND? " you either love em or hate em". Your colors are obviously not Blue and Gold nor Blue and White. :laugh: 20n10

Very true. In my post in paragraph one above, I am sharing a totally unbiased opinion.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure Miles will have the admission requirements needed at ND. While I think he has the athletic ability to compete, I'm not sure he could get past the admission req's.

Also if you know Miles, I can't imagine him wanting to go to a school with that type of Academic req's.

I am not sure Miles will have the admission requirements needed at ND. While I think he has the athletic ability to compete, I'm not sure he could get past the admission req's.

Also if you know Miles, I can't imagine him wanting to go to a school with that type of Academic req's.

Just curious what do you mean by this?

Very telling! Do you know him or something. No way he is a friend!

Just curious what do you mean by this?

Let me assume what was meant.

D1 college football takes an unreal amount of time and toll on your mind and body. ND , with its assumed higher academic expectations, is even more demanding. Not every kid who goes to college to play football wants that rigorous schedule. Many colleges have strong degrees even if they're not as strong as ND. Some players would then compromise.

Perfectly understandable.

Let me assume what was meant.

D1 college football takes an unreal amount of time and toll on your mind and body. ND , with its assumed higher academic expectations, is even more demanding. Not every kid who goes to college to play football wants that rigorous schedule. Many colleges have strong degrees even if they're not as strong as ND. Some players would then compromise.

Perfectly understandable.

Very well stated.

I in no way was slaming Miles. He is a great kid and an excellent Football player. He however does not love the academic side of school, neither did I. For you to play D1 at schools like ND, Stanford or Duke, you had better love football, but you also better love an intense academic challenge. All I was trying to say, was that Miles top choice is probably not an intense academic challenge.

I had opportunity to play at Dartmouth. I was so intimidated by the huge academic requirements, I never gave it serious consideration. So please don't take my statements as a negative comment about Miles or his character.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I find it kinda odd given that NBC is trying to get out of the ND contract that they would do something so stupid as they did in June of 2008 and agree to a five year extension of said contract to have the exclusive broadcast rights to all ND home games from the 2011 to 2015 seasons. This will extend the relationship that Notre Dame has had with NC to 25 years as they first began to broadcast Irish home games it was was to be a series of 5 year contracts beginning back in 1991.

I know quite a bit about it, actually.

The relationship has indeed been a very long one - but a while back, NBC enlarged it to be an all-encompassing agreement that was a "first": a network paying one individual NCAA football program to broadcast ALL ND games - not just home games - over a 10 year period.

The current agreement, as you indicated, no longer includes the same commitment.

So then has KY's deadline come and gone?

Sorta yes sorta no. Teams try putting deadlines all the time. Basically 9/10 it is to pressure the player into a decision. However, I've seen a player miss the deadline a few times before and when the school has pursued the player as hard as UK has Miles they find a way to work it out if he would like to play some ball at their school.

I know quite a bit about it, actually.

The relationship has indeed been a very long one - but a while back, NBC enlarged it to be an all-encompassing agreement that was a "first": a network paying one individual NCAA football program to broadcast ALL ND games - not just home games - over a 10 year period.

The current agreement, as you indicated, no longer includes the same commitment.

Wrong again.

NBC has been televising Irish home games since 1991, and this marks the fifth of a series of five-year agreements with Notre Dame. The original agreement covered the seasons from 1991 through 1995. The first five-year extension (announced in 1994) covered 1996 to 2000, the second extension (announced in May '97) covered 2001 to 2005, and the third extension (announced in December '03) covered 2006 to 2010.

Each of the initial three contracts featured a combined 30 home games over each five-year span. When the current contract expires in 2010, NBC will have televised 36 games over five years, due to the addition in several years of a seventh home game and/or an eighth off-site game.

Notre Dame has never had more than a 5 year deal in place with NBC. In addition NBC would not be able to broadcast all Notre Dame games. For example away games at Michigan, Purdue, etc. would be broadcast as per agreements that the Big 10 has in place with other networks. Now NBC does broadcast Notre Dame "home games" which are played away from South Bend.

Until the 2006 Air Force game, Notre Dame had a record 169 consecutive games broadcast nationally on either NBC, ABC, ESPN, or CBS. The 2006 ND vs. Air Force game was broadcast on CSTV, a CBS affiliate who had an exclusive contract with the Mountain West conference, of which Air Force is a member.

Furthermore as you suggest that NBC has been trying to get out of this contract for several years, than why in the world would they agree to a 5 year extension as recently as June of 2008? Either you are completely wrong or the powers that be at NBC are stupid.

If you still feel that I am wrong, than lets see some proof.

I stand corrected; in researching my sources you are right: in the 18 years NBC has covered ND football exclusively, they have all been HOME games.

I had read several items about NBC's concern about extending the deal but was previously unaware of the 2008 extension.

However, it still doesn't change the answer to the question posed by Sweeper, which was why NBC cares about ND. The answer is simple: If Notre Dame doesn't get LOTS of press, NBC doesn't get good ratings. So NBC has a very vested interest in ensuring the Irish get lots of prime time exposure...

I thought that Division 1 cannot give partial football scholarships? I know they have a limit of 85 total.

D1 football is a "head count" sport. All scholarships are full scholarships, no such thing as a partial. If a school is to offer football at the D1 level they must fully fund 85 scholarships.