What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

theguru

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think private schools have one advantage ... no Title IX concerns.

Black Eagle stated his point very well ... private schools, by their very nature, will probably have an average kid that is a notch above the average public school student in terms of motivation and parental support.

All schools that are members of the KHSAA must adhere to Title IX and are audited by the KHSAA. Now if you are a single-sex school it makes things easier. But if you are a co-ed private school there is no difference from any other KHSAA school with regards to Title IX.

Ok, why?

Single sex schools tend to remove some distractions. It creates an atmosphere where participation is the norm. I think it is a bigger factor for the girls schools than it is for the boys. When my daughter was in high school about 80 girls showed up to try out for field hockey and softball FRESHMAN teams.

The high schools in Lexington, especially Dunbar, are too big and not the optimum environment for some kids. Dunbar has practically all new sports facilities and absolutely no reason to whine. I've been to meetings at the school and was amazed that the gym was considerably nicer than the one at the private "selective" college I attended. Actually it, the baseball field, and the football field are far more impressive than LexCaths and were funded primarily by public funds. Catholic has around 850 students and is coed. It's highly unlikely it will get any bigger in it's current location and I'm sure they won't be moving anytime soon. The school with room to grow is Lexington Christian Academy which will be on the "hit" list soon (maybe it is now) as all of their sports programs grow more competitive.

As far as facilities go, Catholic was the first school with the artificial playing surface but at least two of the public schools now have the same type of field. The football field house is small and seating is very limited on the visitor's side of the field. The relatively new wing (privately funded) that houses the theatre, art rooms, classrooms, bookstore, and administrative offices and auditorium (gym) is very nice and serves multiple purposes unrelated to sports.

Catholic's athletic fields are used by non Catholic youth sports teams (Fayette county parks and recreation football has had their grasshopper league championship final there) and is a hub of activity every Saturday in the fall with flag and middle school football in addition to high school sports. There is no room for future expansion of any of the sports fields. Like many schools time is alloted and limited for football, soccer, softball, baseball, etc.

I'm a parent (and Catholic) who switched from public to parochial schools several years back. The Fayette County school system was in disarray with a revolving door of superintendents and agendas. From one year to the next you never knew where your child would be going to school due to constant redistricting. The 10+ years of tuition payments I've paid have been worth every penny to me to avoid the stress, hassle, and aggravation many have (had) to put up with in Fayette county.

It amazes me that some AD's think children "belong" to their schools. Sports should be like any other extra curricular activity. Does this kind of petty bickering go on when band students transfer between schools? (Dunbar and Lafayette have great music programs and win State most every year) If the education of children is the primary focus, why are public resources, time, and money spent trying to "level the playing field" for an extra curricular activity? In Lexington the field is more than level. The student body of each public school is considerably larger and more diverse than Catholic's. Kids playing sports at these schools get regular coverage in the Herald Leader and on the local TV stations. The Fayette county BOE even has their own TV channel where the schedules of games are posted. They have the considerable financial support of the tax paying public (including me). Isn't that enough?

Are public schools mandated by the state or fed to be co-ed? Or is that the choice of the local school district?

If the state or fed mandates co-ed schools than Title IX is obviously an unavoidable advantage for T, X, CCH, DeSales and any other single sex boys schools I can think of.

I won't go that far yet but that is the general idea.

Guru, are you trying to say that the system in place now creates a level playing field? Are you also saying that the large private schools have no significant advantage over public schools? If you answer yes to the first question and no to the second, you obviously have blinders on. Saying that, I'm not for creating another division, fair or not if you are a competitor you want to beat the best.

The advantage is in title 9. All boys schools don't have to abide by this. Budgets when title 9 are involved become much tighter, and we all know you must have quality players. High quality facilities sure contribute to turning out high quality athletes.

The advantage is in title 9. All boys schools don't have to abide by this. Budgets when title 9 are involved become much tighter, and we all know you must have quality players. High quality facilities sure contribute to turning out high quality athletes.
:thumb: And anyone that doesn't see this is as much an advantage as open enrollment is for many Jefferson County schools then you are fooling yourself.