September 18, 200521 yr Why don't you show some of the folks at the poorest schools in Jefferson how it's done. Pick out about 200 of the students from the wealthiest families at your school and transfer over there. It would be a learning experience for both sides. Bussing students there wouldnt change anything. Until the parents in that area decide they want it changed, things will stay the same.
September 18, 200521 yr How is that not an unavoidable advantage? One school has 80 percent of its students with money. One school has 80 percent of its students without money. That's an unavoidable advantage.
September 18, 200521 yr We were lower-middle class from middle-high school. We lived in a one bedroom apt. up until I was 9-10. My mom was a public school secretary and my dad was between jobs for several years. Trust me fried bologna was a regular dish at dinner. You were either lower-middle class or below the poverty level, but you can't be both.
September 18, 200521 yr One school has 80 percent of its students with money. One school has 80 percent of its students without money. That's an unavoidable advantage. You realize that MONEY will not solve all of those problems. You could give shawnee the best facilities in the state and they still couldnt compete because of the lack of community support.
September 18, 200521 yr You were either lower-middle class or below the poverty level, but you can't be both. If you read we were below up until I was 8-9 then from about middle school - high school we were lower-middle class. After I graduated high school my parents moved up to upper middle class (my father finally was able to start his own business while I was in college). You dont have to stay poor your whole life if you start that way believe it or not. We were eligible for food stamps early on in my life. My parents never realized we were at that level until years later.
September 18, 200521 yr You realize that MONEY will not solve all of those problems. You could give shawnee the best facilities in the state and they still couldnt compete because of the lack of community support. That's probably true. That's why they should close the school and bring them to your place.
September 18, 200521 yr That's probably true. That's why they should close the school and bring them to your place. The area seems content with what they have. They dont seem to want to change it. If they want to go to X great. X takes everybody. People that go to X want to be there. Those are exactly the people that X welcomes.
September 18, 200521 yr Author If you know they get a raw deal on funding, they how can you say they "can always add on and add teachers"? Wouldn't that pretty much make it unavoidable, thereby making open enrollment not an option? This has already been covered, socialism is the problem here. Local schools should be a product of the local community.
September 18, 200521 yr Author Guru every time someone comes up with an argument your response is work harder. That in itself is a disadvantage, if a student at a private school does not have to "hustle, raise money, share playing fields, find someone else other than their parents to ride them to and from practice" then they have an advantage. That is some funny stuff. What do you call paying tuition on top of paying taxes?
September 18, 200521 yr This has already been covered, socialism is the problem here. Local schools should be a product of the local community. That makes sense elsewhere, but I don't think it does in Louisville.
September 19, 200521 yr I guess the schools community needs to get out and work on raising money for there programs. Id guess its much easier to get a handout from Uncle Sam and cry about how much money the private schools raise, than to actually get out and work to raise money for things you want. Id like to see some examples where a bunch of these communities actually put forth REAL effort on raising money for programs. Who's crying? I was answering a question. You try running a school on the "handouts" we get from Uncle Sam, and having to meet the need of every single special needs student, from interpreters, to computers for those that can't speak or hear to extra aids for kids who are autistic. You wanna see a good example.......try looking at your local public school's athletic program. I know where I am the budget is exactly zero, so we raise every dime we want, I guess that would qualify as real effort.
September 19, 200521 yr What's the problem with seperate public and private anyways? Has anyone said that, I really don't know???????
September 19, 200521 yr You wanna see good example.......try looking at your local public school's athletic program. I know where I am the budget is exactly zero, so we raise every dime we want, I guess that would qualify as real effort. A high school baseball team doesn't get any money from the school? Is that normal?
September 19, 200521 yr A high school baseball team doesn't get any money from the school? Is that normal? Absolutely zero. None, nadda. I have to raise between $5-7,000 just to play for the year. It's real fun when you don't know who your team's gonna be until about 4 weeks before the season starts.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.