What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

theguru

Has any of these teams like Trinity, St. X, Cov. Cath ever been told you must get off the field we have Soccer Practice at 6:00 or a game. Boys and Girls Soccer have games at home on Tuesdays and Thursdays I believe at 6:30 and the football team must be off the field by 6:00. There are times where since Dunbar's JV plays on Monday that Dunbar football will not get a practice time on Monday since Girls and Boys Soccer gets the field right after school.

To answer your question no, Dunbar does not always get full practice time.

(I'm not saying this is bad because of Soccer but it's a problem that All Boy Schools do not have to deal with when Girls are out of the equation.)

Trinity's baseball, soccer, tennis, and cross country teams all practice off campus. We don't even have a baseball field or a track.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title IX compliance or lackthereof would be one advantage, to an extent...

Lack of due process at private schools...

Unregulated booster groups who can raise monies for each and every program as they see fit....with no cap or limit regarding boys or girls sports...

Donations from outside influences without any regulation...

Receiving special services from public schools, special ed services, field usage, and so forth...

First of all it doubles your numbers for football which helps but it isn't the end all be all.

Dunbar for example somewhere I know very well. The football field must be divided into ceratin times for everyone. Girls Soccer gets the same amount of time as Football.(Boys Soccer as well). Dunbar football only gets half the field on a daily basis. Dunbar has turf and has to go by title 9. I don't think an all boy schools will have that problem.

Girls Volley Ball must have the same amount of time as boys basketball.

Space can be blamed on the administration I guess but taking girls sports completely out of the mix will NO DOUBT help out the boys programs.

Money must be split up through out the Athletic program from other sports. The more money making sports must help out other programs that do not make as much money. Take Trinity's gates and split it up with Girls Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Golf and other girls sports and their great wallets will decrease.

Girls have the right to money and time as well. This is a HUGE ADVANTAGE, all boy schools have.

The practice facilities argument reall can't be applied to private schools. Henderson is public and every sport has their own practice field. Football has 2 fields, soccer has 2-3 fields.

I won't go that far yet but that is the general idea.

Just a thought but unavoidable is very general. Some things may be easily avoided while others may be extremely difficult to avoid and then you have all that lies in between. At what point does something become avoidable but not worth it or it is ridiculous it is to expect. Im sure many of the publics will be asking why should we have to bend over backwards and jump thru hoops. In my opinion for the publics and privates to play with each other there are going to have to be some compromises made, on both sides. Of course there are going to have to be enough people who want and see the advantage of keeping them together.

I knew something wasn't right with private schools the day I was in Louisville at the mall and saw a big advertisement for Trinity High School, right beside some jewelry ads and a mall directory. As a private school, you can advertise for what you want in a student (or athlete), and the law, as far as I am aware, doesn't require you to take all comers (as it does the public schools). I am curious what percentage of students at private schools are special ed kids, for example, who will count against their enrollment but will probably never play a sport (or probably won't perform well on state testing, either, for that matter), and how that percentage compares to the public school statistics. I would also imagine that the median income of private school families is higher than that of public school families, so I would suspect that the money coming in from booster clubs, from tuitions, and from donations allows private schools to build costlier facilities in most cases. Having never attended a private school, I generalize here based on what I've heard and read, so if any of this is factually inaccurate to those who do/did go to private schools, feel free to correct it.

I don't think their advantages over other city schools are quite so pronounced as they are over more rural schools, however. Even if a school like Johnson Central were to open its enrollment to all comers, we could cover a two-county, hour-wide driving radius and probably still not have the same number of potential athletes that Jefferson County does within its borders alone.

Regardless, I personally don't think kicking out the privates - or even the publics with open enrollment - will make things any better. I'd personally never want to come right out and say we can never beat these people, so we're taking our ball and going home. I'd personally rather line up with them and try to beat them straight up with honest, hard-working, home-grown kids, and regardless of the result, I'd know in my heart we do things the right way and we do our best, whomever we're playing. You'll never learn anything or get anywhere by lying down and quitting when the competition is tough.

Great Post. Well thought out. :thumb:

First of all it doubles your numbers for football which helps but it isn't the end all be all.

Dunbar for example somewhere I know very well. The football field must be divided into ceratin times for everyone. Girls Soccer gets the same amount of time as Football.(Boys Soccer as well). Dunbar football only gets half the field on a daily basis. Dunbar has turf and has to go by title 9. I don't think an all boy schools will have that problem.

Girls Volley Ball must have the same amount of time as boys basketball.

Space can be blamed on the administration I guess but taking girls sports completely out of the mix will NO DOUBT help out the boys programs.

Money must be split up through out the Athletic program from other sports. The more money making sports must help out other programs that do not make as much money. Take Trinity's gates and split it up with Girls Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Golf and other girls sports and their great wallets will decrease.

Girls have the right to money and time as well. This is a HUGE ADVANTAGE, all boy schools have.

I have been to some LC practices in the past and on any given day (depending on the season) there are 3-4 different teams using the field.

Insofar as the one Gender school is concerned, I would ALWAYS pick a boys/girls single gender school over co-ed in high school. There have been plenty of studies that prove girls especially do better in a single sex environment.

However, I do understand that 1500 boys at one school is a lot!

Joe

Guru, are you trying to say that the system in place now creates a level playing field? Are you also saying that the large private schools have no significant advantage over public schools? If you answer yes to the first question and no to the second, you obviously have blinders on. Saying that, I'm not for creating another division, fair or not if you are a competitor you want to beat the best.

I am asking a question, I want to know what advantages private schools have that are unavoidable. For example, Trinity and X do have a size advantage but that is NOT unavoidable.

How about this, you tell me what unavoidable advantages private schools have and I will defend against you. :D

I do believe that Title 9 (or lack of) in an all boys or all girls school is an advantage. Not sure how much, but it is an advantage. However, this is still the government getting involved where maybe they shouldn't be so you could still argue this is not an unavoidable advantage.

Titan, to sum up my thoughts on this issue, I think most of the "advantages" are perceived, the public schools are their own worst enemy most of the time, and most (but certainly not all) public schools need to do a better job. In other words, public schools need to put all this effort into improving their own school(s) instead of trying to eliminate the competition.

I knew something wasn't right with private schools the day I was in Louisville at the mall and saw a big advertisement for Trinity High School, right beside some jewelry ads and a mall directory. As a private school, you can advertise for what you want in a student (or athlete), and the law, as far as I am aware, doesn't require you to take all comers (as it does the public schools). I am curious what percentage of students at private schools are special ed kids, for example, who will count against their enrollment but will probably never play a sport (or probably won't perform well on state testing, either, for that matter), and how that percentage compares to the public school statistics.

St.X and Trinity are much easier to get into than both Manual and Male.

Open enrollment policies are very different in public schools than in private schools, if they can be implemented at all. In Kenton County schools, for example, students "out of district" will only be accepted IF there is the classroom space. This would limit ANY public school vs. a private school in terms of who they can accept and why. In the Boone County schools, open enrollment really isn't even an option with the crowding taking place, there would be no open spots in classrooms.