What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

theguru

Speaking primarilly from a NKY point of view, but I think this holds true in other areas as well; I'd say a REAL advantage I've encountered would be students who come from "participation focused backgrounds". Watching my kids come through the Catholic schools systems, I was constantly amazed at the participation levels in grade and middle schools. My son's grade had 39-40 of 42 kids playing basketball from grades 3-8, similar in my daughter's class. Same held true for volleyball, soccer, baseball, softball, spelling, academic bowl, science fair, etc. Kid's were envolved and stayed envolved and I think that follows through to high school.

I'm sure some public schools have the same experiences, but from my personal experiences, it was much more prevelant at the Catholic schools. Just didn't see it from the public school systems up here. Call it more envolved parents or whatever. More AAU teams, select soccer or baseball teams, club volleyball, etc. Money isn't the only factor either. In NKY the publics have a huge facility advantage over the privates, and the privates for the most part have to "fund raise" for everything!!

None of that is unavoidable, public schools are free to develop better youth leagues.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking primarilly from a NKY point of view, but I think this holds true in other areas as well; I'd say a REAL advantage I've encountered would be students who come from "participation focused backgrounds". Watching my kids come through the Catholic schools systems, I was constantly amazed at the participation levels in grade and middle schools. My son's grade had 39-40 of 42 kids playing basketball from grades 3-8, similar in my daughter's class. Same held true for volleyball, soccer, baseball, softball, spelling, academic bowl, science fair, etc. Kid's were envolved and stayed envolved and I think that follows through to high school.

While there are exceptions to the rule, I agree with the above.

I mentioned this in another thread. Guru said his 3rd grade son had no school team available for basketball. The private school in my town has about 600+ students K-8 and fields about 35 to 40 basketball teams in grades 3 through 8 . That's pretty strong.

You are going to have to do much better than that:

1. Doubles your number, what does that mean? You better look at this one a little closer.

2. There is all kinds of space around Dunbar (in addition to the football field) and nobody stopping you from using it so this doesn't hold water.

3. Splitting the money should not be an issue either because the girls should be our raising money too which should level the playing. I am sure you will say it doesn't happen but it could if you worked at it hard enough.

What space are you talking about? There is a farm behind Dunbar that is not Dunbar's you can't steal the land. Other than that there is a parking lot where the band practices. The softball field and the baseball field. What land are you talking about?

I never said numbers was a huge thing I said it helps because you don't have girls anyone would agree with that. 1400 Boys and 1400 Boys and Girls Doubles your boys. I never said it made you a better team I said it helps and I think anyone would agree with that.

None of that is unavoidable, public schools are free to develop better youth leagues.

Agreed but it takes a mentality change. I think the point of parental involvement being inherent in private schools being greater than in public schools is true. Its hard to explain why but it just is. As I said previously, there are exceptions but the rule is true.

I'm sure some public schools have the same experiences, but from my personal experiences, it was much more prevelant at the Catholic schools. Just didn't see it from the public school systems up here. Call it more envolved parents or whatever. More AAU teams, select soccer or baseball teams, club volleyball, etc. Money isn't the only factor either. In NKY the publics have a huge facility advantage over the privates, and the privates for the most part have to "fund raise" for everything!!

I think the very fact that a parent will consciously choose to send a child to a private school and select the school that child goes to instead of just allowing the child to attend whatever public school is in the district shows the real nature of the huge dichotomy between publics and privates. Most kids in a private school are there because they WANT to be there and their parents are involved, thus causing the majority of those kids to want be to involved themselves; most kids in a public school are there because they HAVE to be, and if most of them have uninvolved parents, most of the kids will see no need to be involved themselves (and thus, as far as athletics are concerned, they're just dead weight that counts against your enrollment numbers).

There's no way you could fix that advantage unless you just shut down all private schools period and made every child attend the public school in his or her district regardless (which is obviously unrealistic, although I can dream).

Has any of these teams like Trinity, St. X, Cov. Cath ever been told you must get off the field we have Soccer Practice at 6:00 or a game.

CCH: Yes.

Solution: They go to the rough patch of grass by Dixie Highway to practice.

Are you saying there is not an outfield to practice on? CCH did that until they go the turf.

I never said numbers was a huge thing I said it helps because you don't have girls anyone would agree with that. 1400 Boys and 1400 Boys and Girls Doubles your boys. I never said it made you a better team I said it helps and I think anyone would agree with that.

I still don't get what you're saying. If CCH has 480 boys and Bowling Green has 450 boys and 450 girls, how is that an advantage for CCH?

CCH: Yes.

Solution: They go to the rough patch of grass by Dixie Highway to practice.

Are you saying there is not an outfield to practice on? CCH did that until they go the turf.

So football can now tear up the softball or baseball field if they need to. They have turf there is no reason to use grass. If Football needs extra time than Soccer gets the same Boys and Girls. So now Boys and Girls Soccer can use these fields as well. ( This is not my statements.)

Man O War is not a great place to practice it has a lot of Traffic on it. ;)

So football can now tear up the softball or baseball field if they need to. They have turf there is no reason to use grass. If Football needs extra time than Soccer gets the same Boys and Girls. So now Boys and Girls Soccer can use these fields as well. ( This is not my statements.)

Man O War is not a great place to practice it has a lot of Traffic on it. ;)

They COULD use the baseball field but the school chooses not to. That's fine but that's a choice that a school makes and is not related to public vs private. Heck, I'm sure Coach Krumps used to wish soccer and football didn't practice in the baseball outfield but it wasn't his call.

They COULD use the baseball field but the school chooses not to. That's fine but that's a choice that a school makes and is not related to public vs private. Heck, I'm sure Coach Krumps used to wish soccer and football didn't practice in the baseball outfield but it wasn't his call.

That's fine but if only football wanted to use it that's one or maybe two with Boys Soccer. If you have girls that adds another team on the list. All Boy Schools do not have this problem.

This problem is not the end of the world for some public schools but it is different than what all Boy Schools do there is no doubt about it.

What space are you talking about? There is a farm behind Dunbar that is not Dunbar's you can't steal the land. Other than that there is a parking lot where the band practices. The softball field and the baseball field. What land are you talking about?

If space is an issue you guys need to get out and hustle or rent space.

On the size, that is NOT unavoidable, with less public schools in Fayette County you could have larger schools. Don't divide your talent and then claim someone else won't do the same thing.