What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

theguru

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If space is an issue you guys need to get out and hustle or rent space.

On the size, that is NOT unavoidable, with less public schools in Fayette County you could have larger schools. Don't divide your talent and then claim someone else won't do the same thing.

There trying to bring their schools back together. Why do you think all this fuss is about to begin with. Lex. Cath.

If space is an issue you guys need to get out and hustle or rent space.

On the size, that is NOT unavoidable, with less public schools in Fayette County you could have larger schools. Don't divide your talent and then claim someone else won't do the same thing.

Space is NOT something where we happen to have advantage. Trinity's campus is one of the smaller ones for a school of its enrollment in the state. Take a look at Assumption, a perennial contender in most girls sports and a national force in volleyball, they have even less space than Trinity does. Their gym doubles as their auditorium and teachers their don't even have their own rooms.

I think the very fact that a parent will consciously choose to send a child to a private school and select the school that child goes to instead of just allowing the child to attend whatever public school is in the district shows the real nature of the huge dichotomy between publics and privates. Most kids in a private school are there because they WANT to be there and their parents are involved, thus causing the majority of those kids to want be to involved themselves; most kids in a public school are there because they HAVE to be, and if most of them have uninvolved parents, most of the kids will see no need to be involved themselves (and thus, as far as athletics are concerned, they're just dead weight that counts against your enrollment numbers).

There's no way you could fix that advantage unless you just shut down all private schools period and made every child attend the public school in his or her district regardless (which is obviously unrealistic, although I can dream).

Great points. I was trying to come up with my thoughts on the subject, but I can't do any better than this.

I would guess most private schools do not have programs for special needs students. However, I can't imagine a particular public school having so many of these students that it actually moves them up in class.

Covington Holy Cross has such, and bought a house across the street for this program.

I do think private schools have one advantage ... no Title IX concerns.

Black Eagle stated his point very well ... private schools, by their very nature, will probably have an average kid that is a notch above the average public school student in terms of motivation and parental support.