September 19, 200521 yr Who's crying? I was answering a question. You try running a school on the "handouts" we get from Uncle Sam, and having to meet the need of every single special needs student, from interpreters, to computers for those that can't speak or hear to extra aids for kids who are autistic. You wanna see a good example.......try looking at your local public school's athletic program. I know where I am the budget is exactly zero, so we raise every dime we want, I guess that would qualify as real effort. You get more money from Uncle Sam than the privates do. The budgets the privates work with are much smaller than you think and many of them are MUCH smaller than most public schools.
September 19, 200521 yr You get more money from Uncle Sam than the privates do. The budgets the privates work with are much smaller than you think and many of them are MUCH smaller than most public schools. And you don't have to deal with the problems that cost the public schools a large, large chunk of money.
September 19, 200521 yr And you don't have to deal with the problems that cost the public schools a large, large chunk of money. I wonder how easy everyone thinks it is to have 1400 teenage boys in a school, and to maintain discipline. :lol:
September 19, 200521 yr You are living in a different world. You don't get out and raise money for "programs" when you barely have enough money for "food." HDE--What program that's losing state championships to the likes of X & Trinity, or other private schools, has a student population without enough money for food?? I'll agree there are high schools with quite poor students, but I doubt they are worrying about competing for state championships, and trying to get their private competitors banned!!
September 19, 200521 yr I wonder how easy everyone thinks it is to have 1400 teenage boys in a school, and to maintain discipline. :lol: About as easy as it is to maintain discipline in a school with 800 boys AND 800 girls. Not to mention they have a "right" to be there.
September 19, 200521 yr About as easy as it is to maintain discipline in a school with 800 boys AND 800 girls. Not to mention they have a "right" to be there. My comment was sort of in jest.
September 19, 200521 yr Absolutely zero. None, nadda. I have to raise between $5-7,000 just to play for the year. It's real fun when you don't know who your team's gonna be until about 4 weeks before the season starts. What if you need new unis? What would happen if you had a poor fundraising year? Would you not be able to play? Pay umps? Buy bats? Is this JUST a problem for baseball in Boone County Schools? Does Coach Finn have the same issue at SK?
September 19, 200521 yr What if you need new unis? What would happen if you had a poor fundraising year? Would you not be able to play? Pay umps? Buy bats? Is this JUST a problem for baseball in Boone County Schools? Does Coach Finn have the same issue at SK? I have no idea how other schools do it. A low fundraising year isn't an option. Bats are a big chunk of what I buy, if I buy them. Kids buy their own uni's and keep them. I've had instances where I will buy a uni for a kid who can't afford it.
September 19, 200521 yr What's the problem with seperate public and private anyways? Has anyone said that, I really don't know??????? Many reasons have been very eloquently given on these forums, so I won't try to rehash them all. IMO a simple reason not to is numbers. There are 46 total private schools in the state, the vast majority of who play by the rules, use homegrown athletes and aren't much threat to win many state titles, certainly not in football!! If this thing were to pass, who exactly would you like them to play?? The very large schools will morph into regional powers and become stronger than ever; taking even more of the best athletes form the very schools who banned them!! The problem, again IMO, is the smaller privates and the future of their programs. For example, who will NCC and Holy Cross in NKY play in football; nine games against each other (and that's after Highlands, Cov Cath and Beechwood get done carving up their talent)?? Simply put, ban the privates; and create your own monster!! The large regionals will attract ALL the great athletes, now that they can openly offer financial assistance; and will be replaced in the so-called public league with a new handful of "have's", and the same "well meaning administrators" will be back looking to ban them within a couple of years!!
September 19, 200521 yr That is some funny stuff. What do you call paying tuition on top of paying taxes? Guru As many have done to you in the past you have taken my comment out of context. This alone may sound funny but when you add the rest into the formula, its actually kind of sad. Delta, You are correct it is the community that have made these decisions not the school, athletes, or parents, this is an unavoidable disadvantage. I'm just glad that there are some coaches out there that decide to tackle this problem, when many could go elsewhere and coach a more solid, community backed athletic program. From first hand experience. It's enough to make you leave the sport you are involved in. I think the biggest problem for me is that this is only being focused on football. What happens to the other sports if we split? I know Wrestling will lose another 5 or so schools. This is not good for wrestling and could kill the sport in the long run, along with some of the other minor sports. It still comes down to money, for the most part lower/poverty level communities do not support their athletic programs, while upper class communities do. Guru you come from and still support one of those upper class communities, therefore may not understand the problems they face. Many of you on here may be lower class economically but still have middle class views. Changing a communities lower class views to meet middle class views is unrealistic.
September 19, 200521 yr I have no idea how other schools do it. A low fundraising year isn't an option. Bats are a big chunk of what I buy, if I buy them. Kids buy their own uni's and keep them. I've had instances where I will buy a uni for a kid who can't afford it. Shocker. Does the girls softball team have the same issue?
September 19, 200521 yr I have no idea how other schools do it. A low fundraising year isn't an option. Bats are a big chunk of what I buy, if I buy them. Kids buy their own uni's and keep them. I've had instances where I will buy a uni for a kid who can't afford it. I feel your pain, our team also does not have enough singlets let alone warm ups. We couldn't even suit up a full varsity team. 10 varsity singlets, 5 full warm up sets, 8 headgear, no knee pads (I don't like these anyway). I only have about half the parents who try to support and give every nickel they can afford, but it's still barely enough. Much of our cost comes from my and their pockets not the schools.
September 19, 200521 yr I feel your pain, our team also does not have enough singlets let alone warm ups. We couldn't even suit up a full varsity team. 10 varsity singlets, 5 full warm up sets, 8 headgear, no knee pads (I don't like these anyway). I only have about half the parents who try to support and give every nickel they can afford, but it's still barely enough. Much of our cost comes from my and their pockets not the schools. It's not fun, but it's part of the job. And the part that drives most coaches out.
September 19, 200521 yr HDE--What program that's losing state championships to the likes of X & Trinity, or other private schools, has a student population without enough money for food?? I'll agree there are high schools with quite poor students, but I doubt they are worrying about competing for state championships, and trying to get their private competitors banned!! That's true. I was talking statewide and not schools out to get St. X or Trinity or whoever. My point was that it's not so easy to go out and raise money when their isn't much money to be raised in poor parts of the bigger cities and numerous counties around the state. When a large percentage of a school's enrollment is from low-income families, raising money for athletics is not a priority.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.